January 31-February 11, 2018 Combined Game Thread

taylor-lautner-red-wings-08.jpg

Wednesday January 31 - San Jose, 8:00pm

Friday Feburary 2 - at Carolina, 7:00pm

Saturday February 3 - at Florida, 7:00pm

Tuesday February 6 - Boston, 7:30pm

Friday February 9 - at NYI, 7:00pm

Sunday February 11 - at Washington, 3:00pm

Mrazek got the start again and was 5 minutes away from a shutout. Sharks then tied it 1-1 but the Wings won a long shootout.

Wings win in Carolina 4-1. Another W for Mrazek, who is now 5-1-1 in past 7. Believe it or not, with 32 games to go the Wings are now just 6 points out of a playoff spot, with game(s) in hand on teams above them. Hmm. Will this give Kenny funny ideas?

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

It's about time that Helm figured out how to score on a breakaway.

My immediate thought when I saw it, "if only he did that in game 6 of the '09 SCF the Wings might have had another Stanley Cup". But then I pulled up the highlights of that game and realized it might have been Cleary instead. Which reminded me of the Newfie's bad signing a few years later and that got me bummed out. Then I watched the end of that Game 6 and realized I had forgotten how close the Wings had come to tying that game on a goalmouth scramble with 10 seconds to go. That made me feel worse. Then I couldn't help myself and watched Game 7 highlights as well. Then went to the fridge and drank.

• Like 1

Wings in Florida tonight. Mrazek, who now has better stats than Howard in GAA, Save % and W-L, starts again. Panthers on their 3rd string goaltender, with Luongo and Reimer both injured. Wings would be 5 points out of a playoff spot if they won tonight. Panthers outplaying the Wings so far, 1-0 Florida late in 1st.

Wings give up a disputed goal with 7 seconds left in regulation to lose 3-2 in regulation. Borderline goalie interference.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm really pulling for the Vegas Golden Knights to win the Stanley Cup.    That would be quite a story.  

Yep, sure would. Not only has an expansion team never won an NHL-NFL-MLB-NBA championship in year, apart from the Colorado Avalanche in 1996 I can't think offhand of any transferred team to win in their first year in the new city.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-new-york-rangers-brendan-smith-waivers-neal-pionk-contract-transactions/rafe4av62vl81bhm1k6iw2daf

Just eight months after signing a four-year deal worth $17.4 million, the Rangers have placed Brendan Smith on waivers. 

In addition to the deal that was signed only 225 days ago, the Rangers also traded second- and third-round picks for the defenseman. Smith had a strong playoff run, which gave the Rangers reason to bring Smith back and offer him a hefty contract. However, the team has decided to go in a different direction after a struggling season.

The Rangers acquired Smith from the Red Wings at last year's dealine, but if the defenseman doesn't get claimed within 24 hours, he'll clear waivers and can be sent to AHL Hartford, the Rangers' affilate team. 

A 5-2 lead with under 6 minutes to go is usually safe. Except when you then take a 5-minute Bertuzzi major penalty and give up 4 goals in 3 1/2 minutes. Wings lose 7-6 in OT.

That was a brutal loss for the wings last night.  I will say though, I didn't think that was a 5 min major. 

Probably wasn't or at the very least, there should've been a 2 minute embellishment to offset, but the way the announcers and media were pinning this loss on Tyler Bertuzzi was embarrassing.  I mean 4 PP goals in a little over 3 minutes?  How much does a PK have to suck for that to happen?  At the very least after, I dunno, the second or third goal, Blashill should have called a time out to settle things down.  As much as he probably wanted to blame this on the kids, this was squarely on his treasured "character" men.

10 hours ago, Kacie said:

Probably wasn't or at the very least, there should've been a 2 minute embellishment to offset, but the way the announcers and media were pinning this loss on Tyler Bertuzzi was embarrassing.  I mean 4 PP goals in a little over 3 minutes?  How much does a PK have to suck for that to happen?  At the very least after, I dunno, the second or third goal, Blashill should have called a time out to settle things down.  As much as he probably wanted to blame this on the kids, this was squarely on his treasured "character" men.

Blashill did call a timeout after the 5-4 goal. But yeah, it was a total collapse from top to bottom, plenty of blame to go around not just on Bertuzzi.