Sign in to follow this  
mbrieve

TigerFest 2018

33 minutes ago, davidsb said:

I have not gone in 7-8 years.  I did hear it was terribly unorganized again this year.

Today was the first I've heard about it. Did they even advertise the event?

I haven't been to a TigersFest in several years now...  I understand the draw of having it at Comerica Park and allowing fans to see parts of the facility that they wouldn't normally see, but with the unpredictability of weather in January, being outside in the cold is not something I'm interested in. 

Joe Louis Arena or the State Fairgrounds were not the best of locations either, but at least they were indoors and you could enjoy the event without dealing with the potentially harsh winter weather.  With all the new facilities popping up in downtown, I would love to see them do something different in future years and hold the event elsewhere.  Some teams have done a two day event in the past, which is something that would be nice to split up the large crowds of a one-day event.

I have never gone. It doesn’t appeal to me personally, but maybe in a couple years when my kids are older if they are into it. 

I agree that holding it outdoors in January is kind of odd. Just do it at LCA and also have comerica available for tours or something. 

I've never gone to it either. I agree, Comerica is not the ideal place in January. The problem is, LCA is so darn scheduled, it is probably hard to wedge that type of a thing into their schedule. 

I haven't studied what other teams do in any great detail, but I've heard that the Cubs and the Indians do this event much better. I think the blackhawks have also had a very well received event each year as well, so it seems like we could take some of the best ideas from around the league (and other sports) and come up with something better. I understand that people like free autographs, but if they did it somewhere indoors and charged for them, I think you might even get better turnout. A free autograph sounds good, but in my experience, sometimes the things you have to do for them aren't really worth it (weather, not get it on your item, etc. etc.). Set it up so that it's a bit of a reduced fee off what a player would normally charge, but do it all for Ilitch charities or the tiger foundation. 

On 1/30/2018 at 3:45 PM, davidsb said:

I have not gone in 7-8 years.  I did hear it was terribly unorganized again this year.

It's terribly unorganized every year.

From reports the last couple years, the top players either didn't participate in the signing opportunities or only did it during the early entry. The time, money and effort didn't add up after the last one I attended.

If I go again, it will be when my sons are a little bit older and I will have no expectations for autographs.

5 hours ago, mbrieve said:

It's terribly unorganized every year.

From reports the last couple years, the top players either didn't participate in the signing opportunities or only did it during the early entry. The time, money and effort didn't add up after the last one I attended.

If I go again, it will be when my sons are a little bit older and I will have no expectations for autographs.

That jives with what I've heard. It's too bad....I lost patience for the things you have to put up with just to get a free autograph years ago. I'm too old for that. I'd rather pay, get what I want, get it on time, and not have to waste a whole day for some crazy runaround :).

Check this out. This is a team that seems to do it right. No idea of pricing (or autograph pricing), but it seems pretty organized.

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/10th-annual-blackhawks-convention-set-for-this-weekend-at-the-hilton-chicago/c-290455428

Has anybody heard whether or not they are having Tigerfest 2019?  I searched around a bit and as of this past weekend, seemed to be little to no information about it.  Tickets are usually on sale by now.

10 hours ago, Tramlou said:

Has anybody heard whether or not they are having Tigerfest 2019?  I searched around a bit and as of this past weekend, seemed to be little to no information about it.  Tickets are usually on sale by now.

Haven't heard a peep about it, which is unusual. I've never been too fond of how they run it, as you aren't guaranteed any one particular player- or anyone at all, for that matter. That's not my thing, particularly out in the cold. I've thought for a while that they should do it in a hotel or a convention center like the blackhawks do, but they haven't seemed to latch on to that idea, which is unusual for the tigers. They are usually up for anything that increases both revenue and marketing angles. 

On 11/26/2018 at 8:53 PM, stanpapi said:

Haven't heard a peep about it, which is unusual. I've never been too fond of how they run it, as you aren't guaranteed any one particular player- or anyone at all, for that matter. That's not my thing, particularly out in the cold. I've thought for a while that they should do it in a hotel or a convention center like the blackhawks do, but they haven't seemed to latch on to that idea, which is unusual for the tigers. They are usually up for anything that increases both revenue and marketing angles. 

I actually heard back from our ticket rep today who confirmed there WILL be a Tigerfest but was unsure of any dates for tickets going on sale or when it would be held.  Not much info but at least confirmation it's in the works.  

And I agree - hoping for a SERIOUS overhaul in how it's organized but not holding my breath.