Jump to content

MotownWebGuy

2018 Home Uniforms

Recommended Posts

Are we certain the logo on the cap is getting larger? To me that pic looks like a bad photoshop job. It looks zoomed in because even Norris face looks larger. I don't mind it. I wish they would change the road uniforms though. The 1980's orange doesn't work anymore. Use dark gray uniforms with blue Detroit lettering and keep the same cap on the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Are we certain the logo on the cap is getting larger? To me that pic looks like a bad photoshop job. It looks zoomed in because even Norris face looks larger. I don't mind it. I wish they would change the road uniforms though. The 1980's orange doesn't work anymore. Use dark gray uniforms with blue Detroit lettering and keep the same cap on the road. 

Yes, the D on the hat is larger. Read an article describing the changes and it stated as much.

I wonder how many existing hats are out there on the shelves now and what the reactions will be to those and the new hats as the inventory turns over. I saw a good picture of the new hat and the D is clearly larger. The article I read says the size of the hat letter will now be in line with all other MLB hat letters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Funny thing is that the flat top D on the jersey never looked like the correct rendering of an old English font to me, but I was just grazing the internet looking at font sets and the flat or smoothly curved top seems by far the more standard form.

I suspect old English font is about as standard as individual handwriting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shelton said:

I’m sure I will get used to it. There is just something about the relative sizes of each of the logos that seemed to work with previous two logo design. 

The thinner and more pointed D looked great small on the cap. The thicker and more rounded D looked great large on the jersey. 

I don’t think the thin pointed D looks as good large on the jersey. 

This sums up my thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, Shelton said:

I just don’t get it. There was no need to do this. I can’t imagine there were any fans that thought “I like our uniforms well enough, but it bothers me that the logos are different.” 

I’m sure there are a lot of fans that like this change, and that’s fine, but there are going to be a lot of fans that dislike this change. What’s the point of angering a portion of your fan base, especially in a year when the fan base is going to be upset at the level of play on the field?

I would understand it if there was some actual benefit here that could outweigh the negatives associated with this. I just don’t see where the benefit of this is. I doubt people will be lining up to buy more merchandise because of this change. 

That fan would be me. It has always bothered me that the two did not match. And personally, I hate the rounded D. Not just hate it, I detest it. And don't get me started on the Tiger through the D either, just horrible. The pointed D is much better and classier. I cannot tell you how long I've waited for this, and how pleased I am with this change. And yes, I will be buying a new home jersey post haste.

My only complaints are they should have made it thicker, and the bigger D on the hat does not fit. I liked the smaller D on the hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of it didn't bother me at all, as long as it wasn't a tiger coming out of a D.  However looking at the side-by-side up top, I do like the older version better.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

huh?

Change for the sake of change. The inconsistency was charming and part of the look for 50+ years. These are the kind of things small-time loser teams do to sell jerseys and hats. This didn't really need to happen. Whats next, an alt?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FloridaTigers said:

Change for the sake of change. The inconsistency was charming and part of the look for 50+ years. This is the kind of things small-time loser teams do to sell jerseys and hats. This didn't really need to happen. Whats next, an alt?

it pretty standard 'new regime' stuff though. The two different 'D's probably bugged either Chris Ilitch or Avila since forever and one or the other decided they could change it now. There is no accounting for taste. Compared to how bad so many modern uni's are, I guess I'm glad they didn't do something worse.

The 'inconsistency' was pretty minor. Sometimes that kind of think does bug me. The MSU football uni's with different fonts for the names and numbers always bugged me - thought it was a bad look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hated it at first yesterday. A ton. But you can’t judge this based on the rendering of Norris from the article. Those are bad photoshop jobs.

saw video today from tiger fest and I love the jersey. LOVE it. You may not realize it yet but it’s an instant classic. 

Lastly, winning cures all. My attachment to the two different logos is mostly because I saw such amazing things from 2006-2007, 2011-14 in those jerseys. 

These unis will feel fresh AF on our 2021 WS comemorative DVDS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That new hat will be fine as long as you keep the brim perfectly flat and buy a size that is large enough for you to tuck your ears up into.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FloridaTigers said:

Change for the sake of change. The inconsistency was charming and part of the look for 50+ years. These are the kind of things small-time loser teams do to sell jerseys and hats. This didn't really need to happen. Whats next, an alt?

teams make minor changes like this all the time, just look at the cubs jerseys over the last 20 years, there has been minor changes like this. (that said I like 2 too).

But, i don't see how its a "small market" thing. It's not like we changed colors or logos or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

teams make minor changes like this all the time, just look at the cubs jerseys over the last 20 years, there has been minor changes like this. (that said I like 2 too).

But, i don't see how its a "small market" thing. It's not like we changed colors or logos or something like that. 

I dunno. Would the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers do such a change to their home unis? I don't think it's as bad seeing the pictures, as that photoshop job was awful. I hope it doesn't open the door to other "tweaks" that aren't necessary, but whatever. I'll live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new D is comparable in size to the W and A on the Nationals and Braves hats.  

Perhaps our previous D hat was too small?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FloridaTigers said:

I dunno. Would the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers do such a change to their home unis? I don't think it's as bad seeing the pictures, as that photoshop job was awful. I hope it doesn't open the door to other "tweaks" that aren't necessary, but whatever. I'll live.

Well the Red sox sometimes wear alternate red jerseys, we don't have one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think y’all are forgetting that this organization once thought it a great idea to have a mother flipping TIGER cascade its way through an olde English D.....this is a great change, and so so so so minimal. 

For all you haters, you’re paper thin and pathetic. If there was no press release and no internet, I swear to god you’d go to a game and have no idea anything was different. Posers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thefunk said:

I think y’all are forgetting that this organization once thought it a great idea to have a mother flipping TIGER cascade its way through an olde English D....

 

I've tried, but I just can't hide the truth any longer - I liked liked the Tiger through the D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thefunk said:

I think y’all are forgetting that this organization once thought it a great idea to have a mother flipping TIGER cascade its way through an olde English D.....this is a great change, and so so so so minimal. 

For all you haters, you’re paper thin and pathetic. If there was no press release and no internet, I swear to god you’d go to a game and have no idea anything was different. Posers.

yeah that’s not noticeable at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I've tired, but I just can't hide the truth any longer - I liked liked the Tiger through the D.

I liked it too, but not for the majors.  It was a good minor league logo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they would've done this silently and then see how many people would've noticed.  The hat is instantly noticeable...the jersey I suspect hardly anybody would've noticed after the season started, until it became a story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like it, but really don't care all that much. ****, even the tiger through the D's not too bad. Start wearing solid dark jerseys with white pants like the Cubs and Red Sox and other clubs do at least occasionally? That would kill me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The new D is comparable in size to the W and A on the Nationals and Braves hats.  

Perhaps our previous D hat was too small?

Or perhaps the A & W were too big?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I don't like it, but really don't care all that much. ****, even the tiger through the D's not too bad. Start wearing solid dark jerseys with white pants like the Cubs and Red Sox and other clubs do at least occasionally? That would kill me.

I think I could handle a dark alternate for the road.  But the home jerseys?  Gotta be ice cream white, right Ernie?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×