MotownWebGuy

2018 Home Uniforms

The enlarged D on the hat makes me think of that stupid 'flash forward' promo from the late 1990s or early 2000s when, instead of a throwback day, the players wore 'futuristic' uniforms.  At that time, the idea was that in the future, all the logos would be enlarged.  And here we are.

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

The benefit is fans will buy new jerseys and caps to stay up-to-date.  

Perhaps. I’m not so sure, but you never know I guess. I don’t see a lot of people going out and buying a replica jersey with the new logo to replace the one with the old logo. I don’t see a lot of people looking at their current hat and thinking “I need to get the one with the bigger logo.”

Not a fan.  I liked how they were different.  Not a fan of them enlarging it on the hat either.  Not a HUGE deal, but I do not like it.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm done.    I must find a new team.   This was the last straw.  

Bye. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Perhaps. I’m not so sure, but you never know I guess. I don’t see a lot of people going out and buying a replica jersey with the new logo to replace the one with the old logo. I don’t see a lot of people looking at their current hat and thinking “I need to get the one with the bigger logo.”

I can see people reading about the change and then buying the new stuff as a gift for their favorite fan.  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I can see people reading about the change and then buying the new stuff as a gift for their favorite fan.  

Sure. That will probably happen to some extent. I think we will also see a lot of people decide not to purchase a new item that they otherwise would have bought because they don’t like the change. 

In the long run it won’t matter. If this is a marketing ploy to try to generate some additional revenue, why stop here? Might as well just create a third jersey or alternate cap. 

Some people I thought would be against it are for it.... 

THis is the kind of thing where I can accept that maybe I'm being too picky.  I wasn't attached to the design of the "D" itself... I just liked that they were different.

If they were to change something I wouldn't mind them altering the color to not be so white... i don't know the names of colors but whatever is an off color white.  I think they had that in the mid 70's... 

I’m refusing to buy a new hat for one season already because New Era put their logo on the outside of the hat. I hate it! And my old road and home hats don’t fit well anymore!

At first glance, the jersey change isn’t bad. Need to see a real hat to see if I can live with the enlarged D. 

I remember going through quite the internal conflict a couple of years ago when we decided to paint the logo on my son's bedroom wall. Now I can't wait to get home tonight, because I can't remember which one we chose...

9 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I remember going through quite the internal conflict a couple of years ago when we decided to paint the logo on my son's bedroom wall. Now I can't wait to get home tonight, because I can't remember which one we chose...

I have the hat D from fathead on my youngest sons wall.  It is about 4' tall so it is hard to miss.  I do prefer that D to the other, but I still liked how they were different.

I am more worried about the zombie apocalypse than this.  I have always thought that the D on the cap was more representative than any of the other D’s. The existing logo on the jersey reminds me of the one with the tiger crawling through it which is a traumatic memory I strive to suppress. 

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I'd have rather the hat change to match the jersey.

This offseason sucks.

When Doug Karsch was breaking this on-air, he made it seem as if that's what they were gonna do, and I was happy. Then he clarified it was the other way around and I was pissed. I hated it when they changed the helmets and the primary mark to this version, and I hate this even more. The old man isn't dead for a full year, and Chris is already messing with the greatest  uniform in sports. This is classic solution-in-search-of-a-problem.

paraphrasing that press release:

1) It's changed a lot so shut up

2) It's good marketing to have just one D so shut up

3) Other clubs hats have logos this big too so shut up

4) Kaline, Willie, and now Tram since he's a HOFer like it too so shut up

5) Zimmermann's contract has to be paid with some kind of cash inlfux, so shut up.

I’m sure I will get used to it. There is just something about the relative sizes of each of the logos that seemed to work with previous two logo design. 

The thinner and more pointed D looked great small on the cap. The thicker and more rounded D looked great large on the jersey. 

I don’t think the thin pointed D looks as good large on the jersey. 

The idea is still not growing on me and I am not sure if it ever will.  I liked the 2 different ones.  Not gonna riot or boycot or anything, but it is a solution looking for a problem.

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

I thought it was hokey that the two didn't match when i realized it. 

Funny thing is that the flat top D on the jersey never looked like the correct rendering of an old English font to me, but I was just grazing the internet looking at font sets and the flat or smoothly curved top seems by far the more standard form.

Yeah, not a fan of this. It looks like we are wearing youth league uniforms now or something. The ironic part is that they made the D bigger on the hats but needed to make it bigger on the uniforms, too, if they were going to use the same font.

I really liked the old version of the D on the jersey...classy and fitting. And I liked the other version on the hat and elsewhere. Boo indeed.