Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Fire Stan Van Gundy

Just now, 313DetroitCity said:

I don't even know how to respond. 

name five players that are better in the offensive post than Boban, or five players who pass better out of it?

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I don't think you understand what I said about Kennard.

Kennard needed to be the go-to scorer on the second unit early on, and get touches/looks and there are still games where SVG fails to put the ball in the kid's hands on a regular basis.  He's not out there for his defense, he's out there to create offense.

Boban is one of the best post players in the league and a plus passer at the position.  There are situations where SVG has opted not to play Boban in spite of the situation being that he would face a stationary big--that's on SVG.  Further, if you have a guy like Boban and your team can't score it is probably ok to give him more burn.

Boban will make $9M next year.

It's because he was playing with Ish.

Ish can't play off the ball at all because of his poor shooting. So Kennard can't be on the ball when they play together. It's no coincidence that Kennard gets more touches now with Ish starting.

You can criticize SVG for being over-reliant on veterans on the bench.  The amount the Pistons spend on their bench is frankly inexcusable given the type of team they are, and has the ancillary benefit of chewing up a roster spot and playing time that could go to a younger player that could conceivably develop into a useful piece in the time-frame the Pistons could become good again.

As I wrote before, sour on Dinwiddie - fine - I can accept that and understand how it happened.  But replace him with someone young with upside you like better and try to grow that player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

name five players that are better in the offensive post than Boban, or five players who pass better out of it?

He played in 100 games in his career. Averaging 9 MPG. Almost exclusively in garbage time against 3rd string big-men.

And you want me to prove that there are 5 players in the NBA who are better in the post? This is silly. 

Ideally, you fill a bench with players that are developing to ceiling as a team that will not sniff an ECF.  

Spending that kind of money on the bench is for contending teams.

6 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Almost exclusively in garbage time against 3rd string big-men.

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it is true.  Be careful how you use words with absolute meanings.

Check out Boban's numbers in games where he gets over his minutes average sometime.

boban's problem is that he cant guard anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time, not offense.

Just now, Buddha said:

boban's problem is that he cant guard anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time, not offense.

But Harris plays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mickeyb105 said:

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it is true.  Be careful how you use words with absolute meanings.

Check out Boban's numbers in games where he gets over his minutes average sometime.

You do realize that he is only put into games where he has a shot of competing right? If you throw him out there against teams that play small, he is worthless. You saw this in the Miami game earlier this year when Olynyk completely abused him on offense. 

The fact remains - Boban almost only plays against backups. You can't reasonably say he is a top 4 big man in the post. It is so detached from reality. 

But Harris plays.

Because Harris is better on offense and isn't a traffic cone on defense.

Seriously. Did you just compare Tobias to Boban? This is absurd. 

But Harris plays.

im not arguing with you, i think they should give boban more run.  

im more criticial of the gm who signed him to that deal and then never plays him, even against guys who are stiff and cany move.

1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

You do realize that he is only put into games where he has a shot of competing right? If you throw him out there against teams that play small, he is worthless. You saw this in the Miami game earlier this year when Olynyk completely abused him on offense. 

The fact remains - Boban almost only plays against backups. You can't reasonably say he is a top 4 big man in the post. It is so detached from reality. 

but he doesnt play him against teams that arent small either.

he is a big problem on defense for sure, but he also creates a problem for the other team to defend no matter who thry put out there.  

Just now, Buddha said:

but he doesnt play him against teams that arent small either.

he is a big problem on defense for sure, but he also creates a problem for the other team to defend no matter who thry put out there.  

Yes, he presents match-up problems for teams. But no so much so that he can carry your team to offensive success.

He can however completely ruin your team's defense. 

Just now, 313DetroitCity said:

Harris has been getting abused on offense ever since he got to Detroit, but that's fine I guess.

And of course you don't leave Boban out there against Olynyk.  He's about as much of a center as Matt Bullard was.

I'm fine playing Boban against backups, but SVG misses spots seemingly every week where he could realy use him.  

And that's find you can't name five bigs who are more effective offensively than Boban in the post.

4 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Because Harris is better on offense and isn't a traffic cone on defense.

Seriously. Did you just compare Tobias to Boban? This is absurd. 

Harris is just different on offense.  How a combo forward can manage to shoot so few FT in a game is incredible in a bad way.

Do you really think Harris is even an average NBA starter?

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Yes, he presents match-up problems for teams. But no so much so that he can carry your team to offensive success.

He can however completely ruin your team's defense. 

Sounds like Harris for sure.

I guess I don't understand how Boban's defensive deficiencies argue against his offensive efficiency?

I mean, I get his defensive deficiencies limit his playing time, but that doesn't mean he isn't efficient offensively when he does play.

Before he is even fired, I'm already calling my shot for SVG's replacement.  Coach only, not sure about GM yet.

Jerry Stackhouse.  

9 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Before he is even fired, I'm already calling my shot for SVG's replacement.  Coach only, not sure about GM yet.

Jerry Stackhouse.  

Would be a baptism by fire for sure. 

Laimbeer would be mad. 

Congratulations to Stan Van Gundy on successfully assembling the worst possible kind of franchise you can build. 

Just good enough to win some games

Just bad enough to miss the playoffs

I agree that Boban is completely exposed by big men with range

But the alternative has been playing Eric Moreland and the team sucks and you owe him 9 million dollars next year

It's the same thing with Kennard and heck even Stanley.

I get that SVG can't give up on the season because he's the coach and the GM and his job is on the line, but it's not like the other guys are playing well in their place.