mike06181

Jd on a 1 yr deal?

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2018/01/jd_martinez_contract_1.html

The longer J.D. Martinez is unsigned the more I think a 1 yr deal with the tigers makes sense. Trade him at deadline again to a contender and get prospects for him. Why would he do it? Well if the market is soft a 1 yr deal to move him to next years market might make sense to him so why not go where he was very comfortable and he would star.

why would the tigers do it? Short term investment with a guy they love. Fans love and would help sell tickets and who would he be blocking? More prospects at trade deadline. I see it as a win win for both jd and the tigers. That is if he is not happy with the offers out there

Edited by mike06181

the trade him at the deadline angle makes sense.  

The angle of us trying to win this year does not. 

18 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

the trade him at the deadline angle makes sense.  

The angle of us trying to win this year does not. 

I didnt say anything about winning this year. This is a pure win/win as in jd gets what works for him and so do tigers.. jd becomes free agent again and tigers get more prospects 

If JD wanted to sign a one-year deal, he could sign it with almost any team, and he'd more likely choose a team that might win a world series over a team that is rebuilding and likely to trade him at midseason, again.  The Tigers would have to counter that with $$$.  I can't imagine a scenario where this happens.

It doesn't seem to add up for either side right now.  Castellanos is the RF (right or wrong).  I think they are fine with Mahtook as the cheap option in LF and a platoon in CF.  The focus right now for the Tigers is a cheap rebuild.  Signing Martinez might give them an asset to deal at the deadline.  But there was a lot of unhappiness about the return that they got last season for Martinez.  Why sign him to a $20M+ contract in order to get a few maybes?

Martinez will get a multiyear deal somewhere.  He might what until the last second to sign something.  But he will have a lucrative multiyear deal to sign.  And even if he were to sign a one year deal and try it again next season, why would he sign with the Tigers who would likely not offer the highest solo season deal?  Why would he sign with an also ran knowing that he'll likely be traded somewhere and not have any control over that?

It doesn't seem to add up for either side right now.  Castellanos is the RF (right or wrong).  I think they are fine with Mahtook as the cheap option in LF and a platoon in CF.  The focus right now for the Tigers is a cheap rebuild.  Signing Martinez might give them an asset to deal at the deadline.  But there was a lot of unhappiness about the return that they got last season for Martinez.  Why sign him to a $20M+ contract in order to get a few maybes?
Martinez will get a multiyear deal somewhere.  He might what until the last second to sign something.  But he will have a lucrative multiyear deal to sign.  And even if he were to sign a one year deal and try it again next season, why would he sign with the Tigers who would likely not offer the highest solo season deal?  Why would he sign with an also ran knowing that he'll likely be traded somewhere and not have any control over that?

He already has a 5 year $125 plus million offer from Boston. You would have to give him at least $35 mil to get him to even think about a 1 year deal. No way we do anything like that for another Lugo/Alacantra/king potential return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

He already has a 5 year $125 plus million offer from Boston. You would have to give him at least $35 mil to get him to even think about a 1 year deal. No way we do anything like that for another Lugo/Alacantra/king potential return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.  So with that in mind, what kind of 1 year deal would the Tigers have to offer him in order to sign him?  Seems slightly more unlikely than impossible.

stick to the plan. It was Ilitch/DD 'diversions' that got the Tigers where they are.....

He would be silly to do this.   $100M+ is multi-generational life changing money.   With his injury history it would be a bad idea to risk that for a another $20-30M a year down the road.

Plus, next year’s free agent crop is even stronger, including Harper and Machado.  Why would he want to compete with that field vs being the best bat this offseason?

its clear there is some market correction/potential collusion going on—he’ll be lucky to get the rumored Red Sox offer.  That’s a lot of dough for a DH, though.

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

stick to the plan. It was Ilitch/DD 'diversions' that got the Tigers where they are.....

Exactly!

On second thought...I dunno if we'd get back from the trade what we'd lose by having lost the draft position for a year that a 70 win season would get us over a 60 win season. 

We are basically going to need to face the wilderness for a while.  

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

We are basically going to need to face the wilderness for a while.  

At least we won't be alone.