Motor City Sonics

Is there anything that gives you hope for 2018 (and only 2018)

We keep hearing how bad this year will be, but is there anything that gives you hope for Tiger baseball in 2018.   Not talking anything beyond that.    We will not see Perez, Faedo, Cameron, Rogers, Paredes, Manning or Burrows this year.   What, of THIS Tiger team gives you some hope for a surprising season (I guess .500 would be surprising).      Is there any possible way that this team shocks us in a good way and if so, what do you think would need to happen (other than the sarcastic response of winning more than losing).    Specifics, please.    

And what would be your definition of a "success" for this group of Tigers?      .500?   Playing meaningful games through to the last 3rd of the season?   Or is success to you - being so bad that they get some great prospects at the deadline for guys like Nick, Fulmer, Iggy, McCann.....

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And what would be your definition of a "success" for this group of Tigers?      .500?   Playing meaningful games through to the last 3rd of the season?   Or is success to you - being so bad that they get some great prospects at the deadline for guys like Nick, Fulmer, Iggy, McCann.....

I think that would be about my biggest hope for this season - get rid of the rest of the deadwood - McCann and Castellanos in particular. I don't think either of those guys are  material for a championship ball club so I'd like to get something  useful back for them. Probably too much to expect though. My miracle season would be Zimmerman starts out hot enough that they find a way to move him - but that's really getting into the realm of fantasy.

I’m excited to see what Candelario, McCann, Greene and Norris can do next year.  Candy and Norris can be part of the core moving forward, and good seasons from McCann and Greene will make themtradable.

Of course, I’m looking forward to seeing a healthy Fulmer and Cabrera, too.

For me it's not really anything to do with the Tigers' or the moves they've made, but my schedule will undergo a major change. After 25 years of doing morning shows, I'll be flipping to afternoons. After my body adjusts to this, it'll mean much more staying up & watching/listening/following the Tigers. So while the team may or may not be as good, my enjoyment of it will be much greater.

• Like 1

It's going to be for entertaining baseball the ruins their ability to get a decent draft pick.

I want to see that there is traction with the direction that the team is taking.  I do believe that they should rebuild.  But I want to see evidence that it is being done effectively.

I want to see the younger guys (wherever the location in the organization) progressing and whatever older talent that they have that will not be a part of the next window of competition traded in for younger talent that will factor into the next era.

I want to see those players' weekend jerseys banned for perpetuity before they are used again.

We're in a tough spot here because we certainly will be closely watching about 6-8 players (Perez, Faedo, Cameron, Rogers, Paredes, Manning, Burrows) that will absolutely NOT see in 2018 (and maybe even 2019),  so we're rooting for a bunch of band aids.  It sure would be hard to root for them to lose from the start because you want to have some kind of hope for April, May, June, but I guess my hope would be that Chris Bosio can do for Daniel Norris what he did for Jake Arieta.   Daniel Norris is a really good pitcher - but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and when he's off, it's only off by a hair.  I think if he found it, he could be fantastic.   But the other hard part is that hoping for any good results from our players surely means they'd be traded, except for 3 or 4 building blocks (Candy, Lugo, Norris,).   

I have some excitement to see what Mikie Mahtook could do.   He's a great athlete - he has speed and power and it seems like he is so close to putting it together - and if he ever does, he could be a good major league player.    We saw that for about a month last year and it was one of the few bright spots...............but then again, he'd be traded because 2020/2021 is the target.  

I think you're a little over-confident on some of the players not reaching the majors this year. Especially in Sept. Rogers for sure will be up the, if not sooner. And we don't know how injuries will play out. 

5 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I think you're a little over-confident on some of the players not reaching the majors this year. Especially in Sept. Rogers for sure will be up the, if not sooner. And we don't know how injuries will play out. 

Why Rogers for sure?  He might, but Greiner will get the call before he does.  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Why Rogers for sure?  He might, but Greiner will get the call before he does.  

Maybe I exaggerated but I think it's much more likely that he sees some innings than to say he for sure won't. 

It's Avila that keeps saying he doesn't want to rush guys. If you take him at his word, we are more likely to see temporary AAAA fillers in Detroit instead of A ball leapers. Of course, the pressure of an empty ballpark might have some impact on this thinking eventually.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Norris and Boyd can turn the corner.  If Norris gets hot, do you try to flip him?  A package including Greene and Norris, if both are pitching anywhere near potential, may fetch a nice piece.  Or does AA keep Norris because he needs a lefty in the rotation even when the new young horses are ready?

Also, I hope to see a version of Jimenez that is ready for a big-league workload as well as Garcia at some point getting a taste.

Is there any chance Miggy comes back and sniffs .925 OPS again?  I'm curious.

All-in on Candelario.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Maybe I exaggerated but I think it's much more likely that he sees some innings than to say he for sure won't. 

I don't know.  Only 23 years old this upcoming season.  Only 2 pro seasons down coming into this season.  Never been above A / A+ level yet.  It seems tough to forecast MLB time for him in 2018.  The kid has to work on his offense, his defense, and his stock photo.

39ab47fe_milb.jpg

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's Avila that keeps saying he doesn't want to rush guys. If you take him at his word, we are more likely to see temporary AAAA fillers in Detroit instead of A ball leapers. Of course, the pressure of an empty ballpark might have some impact on this thinking eventually.

How are the Red Wings drawing?  The Pistons aren't drawing well, and I wonder how the terms of that agreement affect the Ilitch checkbook.

33 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Is there any chance Miggy comes back and sniffs .925 OPS again?  I'm curious.

I think there is a decent chance.  He was at .950 just two years ago.  IF he can stay healthy, I think he still has it in him.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think there is a decent chance.  He was at .950 just two years ago.  IF he can stay healthy, I think he still has it in him.   

I feel a lot more optimistic if he would marry a Geselle Bunchen clone. He needs the program she put Brady on - nutrition, weight control, flexibility and injury prevention priority training.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I would think there is some incentive there for him to rebound from his personal season last year and to also get himself into as good of a position as possible to be traded to a better team situation.

40 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

So do I.  He has that pure talent, and natural strength.  Although, we can't forget Gardy, who might have him hitting grounders to the right side with a man on second.

Our beer guy has been carrying some craft beer cans in his bucket as he comes around... and my son now has his license so I can bring him with me and he can drive home.  When I take my wife I get "the look"... "how much are those?  How many is that....."

so there's that.