Sydney_Fife

2018 Playoff Race

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i'm sure valenti remembers.

if he can take 5 minutes off from desperately defending sexual assault university.

He seems to take shots at the pistons pretty often. They had a good time with the ad for hooper’s birthday. 

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The hate for Hinkie is very odd.

People hate deliberate tank strategies and there's also a hint of jealousy that comes along with it.  I'm certainly jealous that the Pistons don't have any elite talent like the Sixers do.  I'm jealous of just about every team in the league for that matter.

7 hours ago, NYLion said:

People hate deliberate tank strategies and there's also a hint of jealousy that comes along with it.  I'm certainly jealous that the Pistons don't have any elite talent like the Sixers do.  I'm jealous of just about every team in the league for that matter.

I've been watching the Knicks lately what with Burke/Hardaway Jr, and I mean, they're an absolutely putrid team. But they have crappy young guys doing their best and Porzingis coming back and it's like, man, even this heap of crap is more fun than the Pistons

I would trade situations with just about any other team in the NBA right now.  There is really nothing to look forward to.   There's no cap space, no young player with superstar potential, very few tradeable assets, no high draft pick coming(more than likely no draft pick period this year), a clueless coach and a market where no players will come to unless it's an overpay.  

Honestly I've never been this bleak on this team before, even under Dumars there was the hope that we could sign or trade for a difference maker because of the cap space or be bad enough to get a top 3 pick.(never happened but some years there were chances of it)   Now we don't even have that because the team has just enough talent where there never going to be one of the league's worst, they're just going to be stuck in NBA purgatory for the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I would trade situations with just about any other team in the NBA right now.  There is really nothing to look forward to.   There's no cap space, no young player with superstar potential, very few tradeable assets, no high draft pick coming(more than likely no draft pick period this year), a clueless coach and a market where no players will come to unless it's an overpay.  

Honestly I've never been this bleak on this team before, even under Dumars there was the hope that we could sign or trade for a difference maker because of the cap space or be bad enough to get a top 3 pick.(never happened but some years there were chances of it)   Now we don't even have that because the team has just enough talent where there never going to be one of the league's worst, they're just going to be stuck in NBA purgatory for the foreseeable future. 

There is such a big disconnect between the fans of teams, for whom the teams are civic institutions, and the owners, for whom the teams are toys.

My gosh... what are you guys drinking? The opposite of koolaid... Cyanide? 

Is it that bad? Really? 

I'm predicting 48 wins next year. 

You guys go ahead with your Chicken Little routine... don't let me stop ya' (it's good theater!!!)

9 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

My gosh... what are you guys drinking? The opposite of koolaid... Cyanide? 

Is it that bad? Really? 

I'm predicting 48 wins next year. 

You guys go ahead with your Chicken Little routine... don't let me stop ya' (it's good theater!!!)

Is that what we want?  48 wins?  That seems like a high water mark for this team.  What does get them?  To the second round?  Heck, that assumes a healthy Jackson/Drummond/Griffin trio.

Even if they are healthy and get to 48 wins next season, where do they go from there?

I mean, yes, 48 wins is better than 48 losses.  But what's the long term plan?  Because once they hit their peak and plateau, where do they go from there?  I'm not sold that Gores and Van Gundy can orchestrate the kind of leadership to be a championship contender.

The team is boned.

QFT Its really incredible how badly they've locked themselves up from having any way to get out of this. It's like a piece of art. You can look at it from so many angles, but you'll always arrive back at the above. This team is truly boned.

This will be a case study in an introductory sports management college text book some day.  Probably like chapter 2 or 3.  Chapter 1 will just be the basic terms and phrases to be used in the rest of the book. 

16 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I've been watching the Knicks lately what with Burke/Hardaway Jr, and I mean, they're an absolutely putrid team. But they have crappy young guys doing their best and Porzingis coming back and it's like, man, even this heap of crap is more fun than the Pistons

That's the thing.  Teams like the Knicks, Suns and Kings have pretty bleak situations but they all have young guys with upside, something to look forward to at least even if it never comes to fruition.  They are still in the hope phase. 

What do the Pistons have to look forward to?  Where's the upside?  I like Kennard but is he anything more than a role player going forward?  Who else is there?  Anything?  Bueller? Bueller?  They have no real upside anywhere on the roster, no draft picks, no cap space, one of the more unattractive markets in the NBA for free agents anyway even if they had cap space, a clueless coach and an intoxicated delusional egomaniacal owner.  Is there a worse situation in the NBA looking forward to the future?  Maybe Orlando?  Other than that, I'm stumped. 

It's possible they could squeeze out a decent season next year if healthy because they do have 3 pretty good players but after next season, it gets pretty grim as Blake and Reggie get older and they are still capped out (most likely).  Who knows because things can change in an instant if they ever brought in competent management but I'm not holding my breath. We're in NBA purgatory.

they will have a couple years of blake/andre/reggie in their primes.  thats better than nothing.

i lile blake.  he's a very good player.  there are plenty of caveats with that (age, injury history, inevitable decline, salary), but he is still an excellent player.

the rest will need to come from internal development or from trading andre.

13 hours ago, ben9753 said:

"Which front office would you prefer? You’d figure anyone but the Kings, but don’t forget Detroit just drafted Luke Kennard, Henry Ellenson, and Stanley Johnson ahead of Donovan Mitchell, Myles Turner, and Devin Booker, and they gave up a draft pick and a valuable young player on a good contract for the chance to swallow Griffin’s heinous deal"

I will never get the Stanley pick, that pick was just dumbfounding to me.  Granted I was isn't in the gym for the workouts but I just don't get what you could have seen in him to warrant picking him ahead of guys Booker and Turner, not to mention the likely trade he turned down from Miami so they could get Winslow.

He isn't some athletic freak, or have some freakish frame, he couldn't shoot, he didn't put up blow away numbers in college and he didn't put up some insane combine/workout numbers.  What could you have possibly seen in him that made you fall in love so much?   IIRC SVG said that they had him 2nd or 3rd on their board, now that very well just may be coach speak but I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually truth. 

As much crap as the Darko pick deservedly gets I can atleast see the possibility of falling for him particularly if the scouting reports going around at the time were accurate, but Stanley?  Not so much.  

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I will never get the Stanley pick, that pick was just dumbfounding to me.  Granted I was isn't in the gym for the workouts but I just don't get what you could have seen in him to warrant picking him ahead of guys Booker and Turner, not to mention the likely trade he turned down from Miami so they could get Winslow.

He isn't some athletic freak, or have some freakish frame, he couldn't shoot, he didn't put up blow away numbers in college and he didn't put up some insane combine/workout numbers.  What could you have possibly seen in him that made you fall in love so much?   IIRC SVG said that they had him 2nd or 3rd on their board, now that very well just may be coach speak but I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually truth. 

As much crap as the Darko pick deservedly gets I can atleast see the possibility of falling for him particularly if the scouting reports going around at the time were accurate, but Stanley?  Not so much.  

The Pistons have been guilty of 'reach picking' - taking guys with glaring weakness on the theory that if you fix them, they are potential superstars. Stanley and Drummond are poster children for guys where they crossed their fingers and picked on the basis of how they projected the player *might* be with his problems fixed instead of what he was. It's not hard to see it with Stanley really - he can do a lot of great things on the court which would have great value, if he could only shoot the ball well enough not to be an offensive liability - which he can't. Drummond can't shoot a basketball a lick either - he can't even reach up and finger roll it to the rim if he has to take more than one step to do it,  Yes he has fixed the single more glaring weakness in his game by getting his FT% up over 50%, but with no ability to shoot  or play with his back to the rim he'll never break in to the top echelon of impact players. 

The big question about Drummond coming out was his motor, I remember quite a few people thought that after Anthony Davis that Drummond was the next best prospect and the prospect aside from Davis with the most upside so I thought it was a no brainer to pick him.

Stanley on the other end I just don't get for the reasons I mentioned.   Granted Booker and Turner aren't perfect players but we desperately needed shooting at the time which Booker had and we were a year away from having to make a decision on Andre so we couldv'e hedged our bets with Turner.  It was kinda like the Aaron Donald/Suh situation for the Lions a few years back.   To me Stanley just made no sense at the time,  even if you wanted to go the defensive wing route there was a better one available in Winslow. 

i thought - and still think - drummond was a steal where they got him.  i loved that pick and still love it.  max contract?  no, but he had them over a barrell.  max contract with a huge trade kicker?  well...that was just stan being his usual overpaying self.

as much as i dislike stanley, you can see the potential in today's nba.  he has a man's body at a very young age.  he has the ability to defend and switch on the perimeter while being strong enough to guard people in the post.  he seems to have the strength to push his way to the basket and create fouls on the other team.  he can handle the ball in a pinch.  he tries hard during the game.  hasnt he been just as good or close to as good as justice winslow?

that being said, the offense just isnt there and when coupled with drummond he creates spacing issues that are hard to get around.  he waa billed as a great athlete but he finishes poorly and doesnt get great lift off of one foot so its hard to finish.

i think stan fell in love with his defense and his attitude.  unfortunately, the attitude seems to have led him to do things the team does not think are productive - like the drew league instead of team actitivities.

just to continue my role as amateur psychologist, i wonder how much his mom dying plays in his seeming lack of willingness to do what stan wants him to do?  he's still so young, its hard to give up on him already.

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The Pistons have been guilty of 'reach picking' - taking guys with glaring weakness on the theory that if you fix them, they are potential superstars. Stanley and Drummond are poster children for guys where they crossed their fingers and picked on the basis of how they projected the player *might* be with his problems fixed instead of what he was. It's not hard to see it with Stanley really - he can do a lot of great things on the court which would have great value, if he could only shoot the ball well enough not to be an offensive liability - which he can't. Drummond can't shoot a basketball a lick either - he can't even reach up and finger roll it to the rim if he has to take more than one step to do it,  Yes he has fixed the single more glaring weakness in his game by getting his FT% up over 50%, but with no ability to shoot  or play with his back to the rim he'll never break in to the top echelon of impact players. 

Stanley wasn't a reach pick, he was projected to go in that range.  In fact, a lot of mocks had the Pistons taking Stanley.  Drummond, for all his flaws, is a good value pick.  Obviously Stanley was a poor pick in retrospect but as is the case with SVG's trades and signings, I don't think it was a bad move at the time but it's more a matter of SVG the coach failing to get anything out of his players.

I don't think Pop gets anything out of Stanley, were Johnson a Spur.

His limitations offensively are what they are and I don't think there is a way to coach him into something that he is not.