Sydney_Fife

2018 Playoff Race

24 minutes ago, NYLion said:

SVG has the excuse of missing Reggie for a bunch of games, plus Milwaukee had much higher expectations going into the season.  A lot of folks foolishly had them as one of the main competitors to the Cavs going into the season.

If the Pistons are "buying" at the deadline and still miss the playoffs, SVG has to be a goner. Heck, even the Lions fired their coach after 4 years of mediocrity. 

The season is only half-over and the Bucks get their second-best player back in about two weeks.  Pretty tough to say the Bucks won't be a handful to deal with by March barring further injuries to key personnel.  The Cavs are all but imploding right now.

SVG spent a ton of money on his bench and has yet to make any of the players he has drafted full-time starters.  His roster mismanagement isn't as bad as, say, Lawrence Frank, but when you factor in that he's built this hard-capped--yeah, it certainly leaves him few outs.

37 minutes ago, NYLion said:

SVG has the excuse of missing Reggie for a bunch of games, plus Milwaukee had much higher expectations going into the season.  A lot of folks foolishly had them as one of the main competitors to the Cavs going into the season.

If the Pistons are "buying" at the deadline and still miss the playoffs, SVG has to be a goner. Heck, even the Lions fired their coach after 4 years of mediocrity. 

I'm not so sure he shouldn't be on shaky ground anyway.  The roster that he built isn't working so well.

27 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

The season is only half-over and the Bucks get their second-best player back in about two weeks.  Pretty tough to say the Bucks won't be a handful to deal with by March barring further injuries to key personnel.  The Cavs are all but imploding right now.

SVG spent a ton of money on his bench and has yet to make any of the players he has drafted full-time starters.  His roster mismanagement isn't as bad as, say, Lawrence Frank, but when you factor in that he's built this hard-capped--yeah, it certainly leaves him few outs.

I don't know about the Bucks, they have talent but don't really mesh too well and will Parker be the same when he comes back?  Big question marks hovering over that team although firing Kidd was a step in the right direction.

No argument about SVG which is why I maintain that he's a worse coach than GM.  His bench signings seem fine when their played in a proper role (although obviously too much money and term) but he has no idea how to utilize them.  In any event, I can't see how he survives the offseason if they miss the playoffs. Not one playoff win in 4 seasons?  Get out

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think SVG should be a goner regardless.

I do too but does Gores?

27 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't know about the Bucks, they have talent but don't really mesh too well and will Parker be the same when he comes back?  Big question marks hovering over that team although firing Kidd was a step in the right direction.

We'll see soon enough how it all comes together.  Kidd's sporadic use of Henson has been questioned for awhile, and apparently his relationship with Parker was bad.

Under Kidd, Thon Maker has shown regression after looking good in the playoffs last year.  Pretty much, he's been doing too much from the elbow and in and not spreading the floor enough at the 3pt line.  His finishing is not good for a lanky big at this point.

Perhaps eventually Maker can be the 5 in MKE, but he's best at 4 bothering people on the perimeter with his long arms and shooting threes (in spite of his numbers so far this season).

https://behindthebuckpass.com/2018/01/17/milwaukee-bucks-examining-thon-maker-conundrum/

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I think he's also been a bad GM. 

Yes, this experiment should be over.  I still find it odd that Van Gundy had enough cache to find a GM/coach role.  I guess, what does that say about Gores?

I think SVG will be gone after this year when they miss the playoffs again. 

It just seems like a new management core should be brought in ASAP to cobble together a team model/deadline deals/organize scouting/get ready for the draft.

3 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Word out of Washington is that John Wall could miss 2 months 

Hard to say how he will recover from getting that knee cleaned up, but he sure can't complain about Beal getting hurt anymore.

Does .500 make the playoffs?

If so, they just need to play .559 ball the rest of the way.  

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Does .500 make the playoffs?

If so, they just need to play .559 ball the rest of the way.  

With so many home games left, that seems possible. 

The win% they need in their remaining 34 games to hit each win total.  

Wins Win%
41 0.559
42 0.588
43 0.618
44 0.647
45 0.676
46 0.706

And each teams projected wins based on their current win%, which obviously can change. But it gives us an idea of what number the Pistons need to shoot for.

Eastern Conference W L W/L% Projected Wins
Boston Celtics (1)  36 15 0.706 58
Toronto Raptors (2)  33 15 0.688 56
Cleveland Cavaliers (3)  29 19 0.604 50
Miami Heat (4)  29 21 0.58 48
Milwaukee Bucks (5)  27 22 0.551 45
Washington Wizards (5)  27 22 0.551 45
Indiana Pacers (7)  28 23 0.549 45
Philadelphia 76ers (8)  24 23 0.511 42
Detroit Pistons (9)  22 26 0.458 38
New York Knicks (10)  22 28 0.44 36
Charlotte Hornets (11)  20 29 0.408 33
Brooklyn Nets (12)  18 32 0.36 30
Chicago Bulls (12)  18 32 0.36 30
Atlanta Hawks (14)  15 35 0.3 25
Orlando Magic (15)  14 34 0.292 24

Have to imagine that Washington number changes with Wall missing 2 months.

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Have to imagine that Washington number changes with Wall missing 2 months.

Good call.

If Reggie bounces back even close to where he was, it seems like Detroit could really be the 5th-best team in the EC going forward.

Pistons 23-26. They have an extremely easy schedule before the break. 6-2 would get them to 29-28. 

They’re just 2 games behind Philly for the 8 seed. 

Pistons have played a tough schedule. They have 1 remaining game vs Cleveland, 1 vs Boston, 3 vs Toronto, and 1 vs Houston. That’s it with the top 8 teams in the league. 

More home games than away games left too. 

If we could pull off getting the 5th or 6th seed I think we could have a chance at the 2nd round. Until I see Blake play and maybe it changes my mind, I don't think we have a chance against Toronto or Boston. Cleveland Miami or Milwaukee I think we have a shot at.

Nice to be thinking positively again, if only for a short while.

I'm not sure how we can evaluate this team until Reggie comes back.  The addition of Griffin helps him more than anyone else on the team IMO, and a healthy Reggie should be spitting out dimes and scoring easier on a defense that has to concentrate on Blake.

If Reggie comes back and takes the air out of the ball possession after possession, then this team isn't doing much the rest of the year even if they do make the playoffs.

I would be stunned if they missed the playoffs now.  I would be surprised if they did not make it as at least a 6 seed at this point.

Wouldn't shock me at all if they miss the playoffs, especially if Reggie doesn't come back or is limited.

It never clicked for Davis and Cousins at the end of last year. Even with an entire training camp it look 30 more games this year before they broke over .500. And those two are so much better than Blake and Drummond it isn't even funny. They do play in the west though so that hurt them some.

26 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Wouldn't shock me at all if they miss the playoffs, especially if Reggie doesn't come back or is limited.

It never clicked for Davis and Cousins at the end of last year. Even with an entire training camp it look 30 more games this year before they broke over .500. And those two are so much better than Blake and Drummond it isn't even funny. They do play in the west though so that hurt them some.

They play in the west, and I think both guys had to make major adjustments. Blake has a lot of experience playing with a guy who is similar to Drummond. So he should be able to make it an easier transition.