Sydney_Fife

2018 Playoff Race

Boston, Toronto, Cleveland will be the top 3. 

Miami, Washington, Milwaukee, Philly, Detroit, and Indiana in the 4-9. 

New York and Charlotte hanging around 10-11. 

I think Boston, Toronto, Cleveland, Miami, and Washington are locks. 

Philly and Milwaukee will make it. 

So that leaves either the Pistons or Pacers for the last spot. Pistons have any easier schedule the rest of the way and won the season series. 

This is the year to get the 8 seed. I’d play Boston than Cleveland. 

13 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I think Boston, Toronto, Cleveland, Miami, and Washington are locks. 

Philly and Milwaukee will make it. 

So that leaves either the Pistons or Pacers for the last spot. Pistons have any easier schedule the rest of the way and won the season series. 

This is the year to get the 8 seed. I’d play Boston than Cleveland. 

Chicago is playing .670 ball since Niko got back.  

Milwaukee is playing awful and Giannis is hurt.  I'm not sure Milwaukee will make it and I'm not sure you can count out Chicago for the 8th seed at this point.

Tough path to the playoffs for Chicago.

Assuming they can keep that win rate up, a big if, they would finish with 42 wins.  That certainly puts them in contention for the 7th-8th seed I would think.  Just not sure they can keep that win rate up for 38 more games.  Getting Lavine back will help but they are almost guaranteed to trade away Mirotic and he has been big for them since returning.

I do think the Bucks have a good shot at missing the playoffs.  In fact, right now I would say they are out.  

22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Tough path to the playoffs for Chicago.

Assuming they can keep that win rate up, a big if, they would finish with 42 wins.  That certainly puts them in contention for the 7th-8th seed I would think.  Just not sure they can keep that win rate up for 38 more games.  Getting Lavine back will help but they are almost guaranteed to trade away Mirotic and he has been big for them since returning.

I do think the Bucks have a good shot at missing the playoffs.  In fact, right now I would say they are out.  

Jabroni comes back maybe in a week, give or take.  Inserting his scoring into the lineup will make them a tougher team to defend and give them an OK rebounder to help with that load.  Tough to see them getting worse by adding that kind of talent unless he isn't physically ready.

Lavine adds more playmaking and scoring to the lineup for CHI.  It will be interesting to see how he integrates with his teammates without the benefit of a real pre-season.  That's a team I suspect teams aren't excited about playing going forward.

The Knicks really need an upgrade at PG, and you really have to wonder what that team looks like with Dennis Smith instead of Frankie Smokes.  Maybe that kid turns out to be a good pro long-term, but he can't take the starting job away from Jack right now and that's a problem.  Do they trade Kanter for a PG?  There are a few backups around the L that would offer an instant upgrade with ceiling to grow.  As of right now it is hard to see them making the playoffs without a move, and like Detroit they have sputtered after a hot start.  The comeback of Beasley really is something, though.  I wonder what Pop could do with him now that Leonard is out indefinitely?

We've talked a little about how the Nets are exceeding their basement "expectations".  Russell coming back gives them added playmaking and yet another facilitator to a versatile team.  He should also pick up where he left off when he was injured as the team's leading scorer when he gets in better game shape/more burn.

Meanwhile, the Pistons have lost their backup big and maybe their starting PG for the season to injury.  Will Reggie come back this season with two more years left on that contract?  Hard to say.  Is it worth trading for a player to add any hope for a playoff appearance?  Right here and now I can't see this team finishing anything but 10th without an addition.  

Any addition they make must me a long-term investment IMO.  Bring in cheap players with length, versatility and upside.  This year doesn't matter in the big picture, and Gores must accept that by now--right?  

You were right when you said SVG must be fired before any major personnel changes happen.  Gores needs to bite the bullet and take care of business.

The Pistons do have an easy schedule. But in the last 5 games they have lost to Chicago, Charlotte, and Brooklyn. Two of those were at home.

Not exactly the type of performance that will get you into the playoffs.

now that they lost to the "easy" teams on the schedule, they have okc and cleveland back to back.

given the way cleveland is playing, they might be thr best chance of winning a game?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

the knicks are nothing and are going nowhere.

Maybe.  If they don't put more players around Staps he'll leave, so they have incentive to get better quick rather than do nothing or start dumping players. 

They can probably do well to deal Kanter and Lee for other pieces.  Noah is always linked to Minnesota because of Thibs, but man is he expensive for what he offers. 

noah offers nothing and no onr is trading for that contract unless its attached with multiple #1 picks.  noah has the worst contract in the nba.

i doubt anyone would want kanter and his deal either.

the knicks were a mirage built on an easy schedule loaded with home games.  

Curious to see how Milwaukee does tonight.

Gamblers have identified a strong trend of teams winning their first game after their coach gets fired.

It helps they play Phoenix but Giannis isn't playing.

Milwaukee made the playoffs last year and is over .500

Pistons missed the playoffs and are under .500 

Kidd is gone, SVG stays

13 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

About time.

Now I might change my prediction on them missing the playoffs.

Firing Kidd had to happen. 

Now time for Gores to follow suit and fire SVG. 

cousins with the first 40/20/10 game since wilt chamberlain as the pelicans rally to beat the bulls.

jrue holiday makes $25 million a year?  he almost single handedly gave the bulls the game last night.

16 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Milwaukee made the playoffs last year and is over .500

Pistons missed the playoffs and are under .500 

Kidd is gone, SVG stays

SVG has the excuse of missing Reggie for a bunch of games, plus Milwaukee had much higher expectations going into the season.  A lot of folks foolishly had them as one of the main competitors to the Cavs going into the season.

If the Pistons are "buying" at the deadline and still miss the playoffs, SVG has to be a goner. Heck, even the Lions fired their coach after 4 years of mediocrity.