Motor City Sonics

The Larry Nassar thing............

I find it interesting that Engler waited until after 6pm on a Friday to release a statement.       Maybe you could pull a Brandon and do it at 1am and think no one will ever see it !

Another thing that I find very interesting.     So Engler has a meeting with a person suing the university and her lawyer isn't present - and nobody records it?    How the **** did that happen?     Is he really that arrogant?   

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Another thing that I find very interesting.     So Engler has a meeting with a person suing the university and her lawyer isn't present - and nobody records it?    How the **** did that happen?     Is he really that arrogant?   

Silly person. How do you cut a private deal if someone is keeping public records?

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Silly person. How do cut a private deal is someone is keeping records.

I don't know, maybe to cover your **** in case of something like this?    

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know, maybe to cover your **** in case of something like this?    

I get embarrassed for my cohort when I see all these old white guys still playing at stale old Rule Britannia games.

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I get embarrassed for my cohort when I see all these old white guys still playing at stale old Rule Britannia games.

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Independent of how this plays out, what was MSU's hope when Engler was selected?

I don't really think it was a very well thought out choice in terms of his known skills at negotiating the type of mine field MSU is in. He was a bull in the China shop kind of governor for about a term and a half, and then a disinterested governor for the remaining term and a half. Certainly nothing there in terms of a conciliator. So nothing particularly recommending there.

I would guess there were three things that drove his selection:

a) his political connections and the circles he already frequented would support fund raising, which is a major part of any modern University President's portfolio

b) he was the ultimate MSU old boy network comfort fit.

c) they were in hurry and he was nearby

And did I mention **B**?

Of course, none of these were relevant to his fitness for handling this crisis, but a majority of the board still being in denial at the time - that makes sense also.

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Fantastic. You can talk all you want about the Common European whatever, but the Brits have a culture all their own.

It just seems like everyday MSU officials find a new way to do this incorrectly.  

I get what Engler is aiming at - getting this over with and doing that quickly, but you can't deal with the victim of a sex crime (who was a minor at the time of the crime) like negotiating a business deal.   I don't think he understands that at all.    MSU just has to bring in someone with ZERO previous ties to the school.   The entire BOT needs to be nuked and replaced too.   This is just awful  

Today the AP takes a swipe.

“If we don't stop supporting the top abuser in #volleyball, how can we ever claim zero tolerance for sexual abuse?” #Volleyball star on #MSU ties to top #Chicago-area coach #RickButler years after she and others accused him of rape. My AP story: https://bit.ly/2vLMWri  #Nassar

Players the guy coached:

But he ignores some inconvenient facts:

Just from Michigan schools, here are the number of committed players and alumni who played at a University: 
MSU - 3 
UofM - 4 
Western - 5 
Oakland - 5 
Hope - 2 
GVSU - 2 
MI Tech - 1 
Northern Mich - 1 
Calvin - 1

And at B1G Schools 
Northwestern - 6 
Illinois - 5 
Iowa - 5 
Nebraska - 4 
Indiana - 3 
Wisconsin - 3 
Rutgers - 3 
OSU - 2 
Minn - 2 
MD - 1 
Purdue - 1 
PSU - 1

I checked the roster from my days in school and found one of the players on the Purdue team who I am still in contact with was on his club team.

This article came up on a Purdue board and they were piling on MSU, which I didn't think was fair.

Really the whole U.S.O.C. should be ashamed. Over what happened. And really should had protected those athletes. Not that of the scumbag doctor. As well as the M.S.U. staffers that allowed him to do that on his watch.

52 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

What were you expecting 

I guess I don't know.  But $1.2M for each person doesn't seem like a lot to me.

• Thanks 1

LOL, Loose Goose comes back to the thread to take shots at people "taking shots" at MSU.

MSU is involved in a sexual abuse scandal worse than Penn State but the important thing is that people not take out of bounds shots at Sparty.  You go Loose Goose.

Typical.

• Thanks 1

In a class action suit, do all the plaintiffs get an equal share or is there some sort of structuring scheme where if you meet a certain number of requirements you get x, additional requirements you get y, etc.?

On 5/21/2018 at 9:43 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In a class action suit, do all the plaintiffs get an equal share or is there some sort of structuring scheme where if you meet a certain number of requirements you get x, additional requirements you get y, etc.?

Each case is different, but there are usually several different levels of compensation.