Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

The Larry Nassar thing............

Recommended Posts

FWIW, it is possible for programs to be proactive in their attitude about domestic violence and sexual assault.

I was reminded recently of the Stanford/Arizona State football game this season in September (before #MeToo or any of this came out). The game was the first of its kind, dedicated to survivors of sexual assault and they had advocates at the game speaking between quarters. All players also signed a "Set the Expectation" Pledge upon their arrival to campus as freshmen. I remember the lady mentioned in the article below speaking to a group of us students and telling us that David Shaw went above and beyond to make this happen here.

Not saying Shaw is the golden child, or even that I know what goes on behind the scenes, but it's not like Dantonio or Izzo can say there is nothing more they could have done about the culture.

http://gostanford.com/news/2017/9/26/football-cardinal-setting-the-expectation.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

FWIW, it is possible for programs to be proactive in their attitude about domestic violence and sexual assault.

I was reminded recently of the Stanford/Arizona State football game this season in September (before #MeToo or any of this came out). The game was the first of its kind, dedicated to survivors of sexual assault and they had advocates at the game speaking between quarters. All players also signed a "Set the Expectation" Pledge upon their arrival to campus as freshmen. I remember the lady mentioned in the article below speaking to a group of us students and telling us that David Shaw went above and beyond to make this happen here.

Not saying Shaw is the golden child, or even that I know what goes on behind the scenes, but it's not like Dantonio or Izzo can say there is nothing more they could have done about the culture.

http://gostanford.com/news/2017/9/26/football-cardinal-setting-the-expectation.aspx

The woman in the article is Brenda Tracy, who apparently goes around the country and talks with coaches and teams and sexual abuse. She was actually in the news a few days ago when she criticized Izzo for what he said during a conversation between them about her possibly coming to speak at MSU. She said, among other things, that Izzo took a victim-blaming tone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shelton said:

The woman in the article is Brenda Tracy, who apparently goes around the country and talks with coaches and teams and sexual abuse. She was actually in the news a few days ago when she criticized Izzo for what he said during a conversation between them about her possibly coming to speak at MSU. She said, among other things, that Izzo took a victim-blaming tone.

wait, so now people everywhere are beginning to catch on that izzo is kind of a whiny self centered *****?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If it were 20 years ago, I could imagine Engler would be a good pick to clean things up. But he's been fat and happy as a lobbyist for dozen years now - I'd guess thr fires are all gone out.

LOL - the MSU community is doing its best imitation of Ann Arbor today. Engler being shouted down, MSU faculty senate asking for a no confidence vote in the Trustees for appointing him. Of course that is pretty much a windmill tilt. I don't think under the Michigan Constitution the three major universities have any leverage over their elected boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really the guy should never at all see the light of day as really he will be open season in prison. As pedophiles are at the low totem poll and first one on the food chain of hardened criminals food chain. Ya know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can we rename this thread the "michigan state cheating thread"?  we can go back to perles, and sparty bob the homer time keeper.

maybe we can rehash all those articles where good clean tom izzo was so upset to watch the fab five because he would neeeeeeeever cheat.  nope.  not pristine tom.

pride.  fall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i love the sparty logic: "its only $400 from an agent....izzo knew dawkins personally so its not unusual for him to have dinner with him and a recruits parents..."

if all you think miles bridges got was $400 from one agent, youre crazy.

if youre competing for 5* bball players, youre competing for guys who are getting paid by someone.  those guys dont turn down money to play for msu or duke or michigan or anyone else.  bruce bowen took $100k and miles bridges got $400 and a fancy dinner?  IN FLINT?  come on people...

im just happy that the holier-than-thou contingent is getting their comeuppance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

larry nasser's boss had naked pics of girls and a video of nasser performing one of his procedures on his computer?

nice university you have there sparty.

i wonder why this forum has gone so quiet?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 2:56 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I wonder what other universities have bombs like this they are sitting on.

or even how many more bomblets are still in the field unexploded at this University?

Quote

Full link to the lawsuit can be found here:......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised on this specific front.

Engler always struck me as brusque and him making a ham fisted settlement offer sounds exactly like something he would do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta tell you,  I have no reason to think the girl is lying but I have  a really hard time believing that a lawyer and former Governor would be stupid and mean enough to say those things.    But then, it's John Engler, and compassion is not part of his universe.   Remember the way he treated the mentally ill and the way he treated teachers when he was Governor.   He's a cold-hearted person with a history of not being kind to those not in power. 

This is what gets me though -  this line that a civil suit is about money (which it is), so here's an amount for you.    First of all, that meeting was not about the financial part of the suit and Secondly,  it's extremely unethical to make an offer like that to an 18 year old kid without her lawyer present.   I know the mom was there too, but I don't think mom is a lawyer, and even if she was, she is not that girl's lawyer..........and to do this to an emotionally vulnerable kid is just inexcusable.   That was absolutely an intimidation tactic and for a person with that kind of power to do that to an 18 year old victim is beyond anything that is decency. 

And if it comes out that he actually did lie about making that offer to another kid,  then he needs to resign or be fired immediately.   This isn't negotiating a contract for a new shortstop here,  you can't pull that **** on victims.    

We're getting pretty close to the nuclear option here.  I don't know of the Nerd has the power to do this, but if he does, he needs to appoint someone with absolutely no MSU ties (or honestly, no ties to this state) and just fire the entire Board Of Trustees.   Believe me, nobody would be mourning their departure at this stage.    MSU just ain't gettin' it.   I know it's a horrible situation that most of the people in charge presently had nothing to do with, but they are making mistake after mistake after mistake and it's all because of a lack of human compassion and dignity in an effort to save money.    Never turn a one-day story into a 45-day story.      

 

Mr. Engler, have you no sense of decency.  At long last sir, have you left no sense of decency? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This is what gets me though -  this line that a civil suit is about money

Indeed. Civil suits are not only about money. Sometimes that are about forcing a change in a system or a person's behavior, and sometimes they are about vindication, pure and simple. Sometimes the money is just the marker for the more emotionally charged piece of the agenda.

+1 on the Joseph Welch ref.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're getting pretty close to the nuclear option here.  I don't know of the Nerd has the power to do this, but if he does, he needs to appoint someone with absolutely no MSU ties (or honestly, no ties to this state) and just fire the entire Board Of Trustees.   Believe me, nobody would be mourning their departure at this stage.    MSU just ain't gettin' it.   I know it's a horrible situation that most of the people in charge presently had nothing to do with, but they are making mistake after mistake after mistake and it's all because of a lack of human compassion and dignity in an effort to save money.    Never turn a one-day story into a 45-day story.      

 

Mr. Engler, have you no sense of decency.  At long last sir, have you left no sense of decency? 

This should have been done after their original botched handling of the story, and would have prevented this new Engler fiasco.

But I'm not sure what the process would be behind their removal. I feel like the hope would be that on a board of eight people you would have at least a majority of semi-intelligent people, rather than:

  • An 83-year old former football coach whose tenure ended when years of steroid abuse in his program came to light. George Perles denied any knowledge of such a thing.
  • Joel Ferguson, whose own words are sufficiently damning. If you need more, racketeering charges and straight up admitting that he's buying off the mayor of East Lansing.
  • Mitch Lyons, former MSU football player, who publicly outed Auston Robertson's accuser Robertson as the Corley-Vance-King whistleblower and was recently charged with assault. Lyons at least was the first to flip on Simon.
  • Brian Breslin, who is the son of the guy their basketball arena is named after.
  • Brian Mosallam, another former MSU football player. Mosallam at least seems to realize they screwed up massively.

This was taken from the MGoBlog piece published in late January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The State governments authority over the state elected University governing boards is limited. The case law goes back to a ruling in favor of the UM regents when the legislature wanted the University Hospital moved to Detroit - from wiki

Quote

In 1895, the positions were reversed, and the Legislature tried to force the regents to move the Homeopathic School from Ann Arbor to Detroit. The regents refused, and the Michigan Supreme Court ruled that the state constitution explicitly defined the powers of the Board of Regents independently of the Legislature, while every other corporation the constitution created had its powers specified by the Legislature. Justice Claudius Grant wrote: "No other conclusion was...possible than that the intention was to place the institution in the direct and exclusive control of the people themselves, through a constitutional body elected by them."[10]

This ruling established the precedent that the Board of Regents is an independent branch of the state government, answerable to the people of the state, not to the Governor or Legislature. The Homeopathic School at the center of the battle was eventually merged into the Medical School in 1922.[11]

At MSU they use the term 'Trustees' but the MSU Board of Trustees and the UM Board of Regents are legal twins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,822
    • Total Posts
      2,952,479
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...