Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

The Larry Nassar thing............

Recommended Posts

And now this.............................What the **** is in the water up there?  

https://www.wxyz.com/news/msu-health-physicist-charged-on-2-counts-of-beastiality

MSU health physicist charged with 2 counts of bestiality

 

LANSING, Mich. (WXYZ) - A Michigan State University Health Physicist has been charged with two counts of bestiality. 

Joseph Hattey, 51, was charged for allegedly committing a crime against nature, which carries a 15-year felony.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette brought the charges against Hattey on Monday for allegedly penetrating a dog.

According to a release, Hattey allegedly did not conduct the acts on Michigan State University campus or with an animal owned by the university. 

The investigation was conducted by Ingham County Animal Control in conjunction with the Ingham County Sheriff’s Department. The dog involved in the incident has since been removed from harm, a press release states, and is currently in custody of Ingham County Animal Control.

MSU responded in a statement saying:

Michigan State University was informed by the MSU Police Department on April 17 of a criminal investigation against Joseph Hattey, a health physicist with the Environmental Health and Safety Unit (note this position does not work with students, patients or animals). Hattey was immediately put on administrative suspension, pending the investigation. The university has been and will continue to cooperate with law enforcement officials on this matter. MSUPD is providing digital forensic support in the investigation.


-Emily Guerrant, MSU Spokesperson

Hattey was arraigned on Monday and given a $5,000 bond. He is expected to arrive in court for a pre-exam conference on June 14 and a preliminary hearing on June 21. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2018 at 8:43 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In a class action suit, do all the plaintiffs get an equal share or is there some sort of structuring scheme where if you meet a certain number of requirements you get x, additional requirements you get y, etc.?

in most class actions, the only people who get things are the lawyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know how Engler is still there at this point. 

Old boy network gonna network.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He was a predictably bad fit for the job and that should have been obvious before he was hired.

I thought it was a terrible hire but I was willing to give him a chance, but my gosh has he just made things worse and worse and worse. 

He's frustrated because of all the crap he has to deal with.   Well, get used to it MSU.  You are going to have an All You Can Eat And More buffet of ****e to eat because of this.   And yes, that sucks for someone who wasn't there, but he knew the score coming in.    

Sorry folks, but this is what happens when you ignore victims.  Maybe you get away with it for a little while.   But this isn't the 1970s when all you had to control was the local papers and TV stations that you had in your pocket.   The story will come out and this went way beyond Internet Court.    

In the future they will teach a class on how to handle sexual assault cases and their victims.   The text book will be nothing but the Larry Nassar case and the lesson will be -  Read what MSU did - then do the exact opposite.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I thought it was a terrible hire but I was willing to give him a chance, but my gosh has he just made things worse and worse and worse. 

I guess what I find odd is for a guy with a reputation for clear headedness, he seems to trying to fight the wrong battles. He really has a bug up his rear about what the lawyers' fees are going to be, but the economic system in the liability bar in the US is not an appropriate battle for MSU to take on over this - it is what it is, has been that way for decades and is just a part of the landscape that he needs to get over because it really has nothing to do with MSU's issues. In that sense he is showing a level of detachment and distraction from what he is  there to fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I guess what I find odd is for a guy with a reputation for clear headedness, he seems to trying to fight the wrong battles. He really has a bug up his rear about what the lawyers' fees are going to be, but the economic system in the liability bar in the US is not an appropriate battle for MSU to take on over this - it is what it is, has been that way for decades and is just a part of the landscape that he needs to get over because it really has nothing to do with MSU's issues. In that sense he is showing a level of detachment and distraction from what he is  there to fix.

He always lacked empathy.  Always.    Talk about the wrong tack here.   I would naturally think a woman would have a better touch here, but a woman was in charge when it all went down.  IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY - THAT'S GONE - YOU BLEW IT.   Think about the future and if this University survives this, because if they keep on keepin' on like this, it could destroy it.  Doesn't seem like that's possible, but I am not so sure anymore.   Nothing this ****** up is worth protecting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He always lacked empathy.  Always.    Talk about the wrong tack here.   I would naturally think a woman would have a better touch here, but a woman was in charge when it all went down.  IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY - THAT'S GONE - YOU BLEW IT.   Think about the future and if this University survives this, because if they keep on keepin' on like this, it could destroy it.  Doesn't seem like that's possible, but I am not so sure anymore.   Nothing this ****** up is worth protecting.  

MSU will survive, but it's reputation will be damaged for a generation - particularly the athletic dept. How much difference does that really make? It depends on whether any of the issues that this case highlights are affecting the experience of the larger student body - particularly the student body not involved in athletics at any level. Universities recruit on their rankings and MSU's will be hurt, but there is also a strong student to student element that goes through families, friends and social media. If in the end this affair doesn't do much to cause students to tell their friends not to apply, than other than being out the money - which is a hardship but which the admin will figure out how to deal with - possibly having to scale back or close a program or two, the University shouldn't be damaged very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the new A.D. at MSU is the Secretary for the Board Of Trustees.

 

They can't do a thing right.  Not one thing.    Nobody from the Board of Trustees or associated with them should be getting new positions.    

Talk about tone deaf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So the new A.D. at MSU is the Secretary for the Board Of Trustees.

 

They can't do a thing right.  Not one thing.    Nobody from the Board of Trustees or associated with them should be getting new positions.    

Talk about tone deaf. 

They have bungled every aspect of this from the start. And I do not think it is by accident. I think this is intentional to protect their people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

They have bungled every aspect of this from the start. And I do not think it is by accident. I think this is intentional to protect their people. 

I think they believe that by the time the next election for Board Of Trustees comes up people will just forget.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke up this morning to a text from a friend who is a student at MSU.  The university's reputation is in the toilet after this, and it's unseen how long it will take to recover, if full recovery is even possible. I know I wouldn't want my child to attend.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-engler-resign-michigan-state-president_us_5c3f6b2de4b027c3bbbd5c54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Woke up this morning to a text from a friend who is a student at MSU.  The university's reputation is in the toilet after this, and it's unseen how long it will take to recover. I know I wouldn't want my child to attend.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-engler-resign-michigan-state-president_us_5c3f6b2de4b027c3bbbd5c54

Engler was brought on board to fight against those who were abused in an attempt for MSU to save face.  It failed spectacularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Engler was brought on board to fight against those who were abused in an attempt for MSU to save face.  It failed spectacularly.

It's easy to come down hard on Engler, because he is just so damn unlikeable.  But somebody had to come in and not give the university away.

I think Engler was going to take this bullet for his alma mater all along.   The university needed someone in charge to negotiate a settlement that wouldn't bankrupt the university and play the role of bad guy at the same time.   Engler was the interim president.   He wasn't staying forever.   Him being there one day after the settlement was announced was due to the lethargy of the Trustees who needed to do a proper search for a replacement for Lou Ann Simon.   His departure will be the bellwether between the old MSU and the new.  

And Mosallam's hyperbolic comment about Engler's reign of terror is an insult to anyone who actually lived under a reign of terror.    I for one cannot wait for Mosallam's reign of incompetence to come to an end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shabba4detroit said:

It's easy to come down hard on Engler, because he is just so damn unlikeable.  But somebody had to come in and not give the university away.

I think Engler was going to take this bullet for his alma mater all along.   The university needed someone in charge to negotiate a settlement that wouldn't bankrupt the university and play the role of bad guy at the same time.   Engler was the interim president.   He wasn't staying forever.   

Granting all that, to even think the thoughts that he voiced, let along be stupid enough to voice them publicly, indicates a real level of depravity. I joked about guys regressing as they get older, but I think it is really just that as their neurological reactions get a little slower, they lose the ability to check the accidental expression of their true natures in real time that they may have had 20 yrs earlier. No university wants to be associated with the kinds of public statements Engler has made. The sad thing is this move may cost the University with donors and political brokers who are still Engler allies - but I don't see that they have any choice but to boot him after the "spotlight" comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard about a lot of his stupidity, but this article has a good summation of just how stupid. This one kills me.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2019/01/16/john-engler-resigns-msu-president/2594498002/

  • After a lawsuit was filed against MSU by a sexual assault survivor, MSU released a statement about the case detailing the visits of the person filing the suit to MSU's counseling center, a likely violation of federal student privacy laws. Internal emails obtained by the Free Press showed Engler was personally involved in the crafting of that statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Woke up this morning to a text from a friend who is a student at MSU.  The university's reputation is in the toilet after this, and it's unseen how long it will take to recover, if full recovery is even possible. I know I wouldn't want my child to attend.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-engler-resign-michigan-state-president_us_5c3f6b2de4b027c3bbbd5c54

While the university’s reputation has taken a hit, I don’t see it having much of a long term effect on students. A company is not going to dismiss a candidate because they went there any more than they already do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shelton said:

A company is not going to dismiss a candidate because they went there any more than they already do.

Zing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shelton said:

While the university’s reputation has taken a hit, I don’t see it having much of a long term effect on students. A company is not going to dismiss a candidate because they went there any more than they already do.

I agree with this, but I think the reputation hit is meaningful, and nonzero. People may not say, "They went to Michigan State; Michigan State oversaw the Nassar catastrophe; I don't want to hire this person."

But they will say (or think), "They went to Michigan State; Michigan State oversaw the Nassar catastrophe." That's not something I want my school to be tied to. More importantly, it's not something I want my (hypothetical) 11th or 12th grade son or daughter applying into.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the parent of two high school students (one an 11th grade student), if they wanted to apply / attend MSU, I would have no qualms with it whatsoever on the basis of the Nasser scandal.

I also think to the extent the Nassar scandal is on the forefront of people's minds, it is going to leave shortly, and I doubt many are going to let it color their thinking to the extent of it entering their mind when dealing with an individual who happened to go to MSU unless the individual in question was somehow tied to the scandal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 5:08 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Granting all that, to even think the thoughts that he voiced, let along be stupid enough to voice them publicly, indicates a real level of depravity. I joked about guys regressing as they get older, but I think it is really just that as their neurological reactions get a little slower, they lose the ability to check the accidental expression of their true natures in real time that they may have had 20 yrs earlier. No university wants to be associated with the kinds of public statements Engler has made. The sad thing is this move may cost the University with donors and political brokers who are still Engler allies - but I don't see that they have any choice but to boot him after the "spotlight" comment.

It's my understanding that these statements were not public, but rather in leaked emails.    I have not been following closely though.   However, Engler had to go sometime.   If the board wanted him out earlier, they could have quickened the pace of their search for a full-time president.   I do hope the new interim president has a thick enough skin to handle the criticism that will inevitably come his way.   

Nonetheless, John Walsh appeared on The Simpsons, and has done endorsements, as well as made a good living hosting America's Most Wanted.    So the notion that people enjoy the spotlight that comes following a personal tragedy is not entirely depraved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shabba4detroit said:

It's my understanding that these statements were not public, but rather in leaked emails.    I have not been following closely though.  

Nonetheless, John Walsh appeared on The Simpsons, and has done endorsements, as well as made a good living hosting America's Most Wanted.    So the notion that people enjoy the spotlight that comes following a personal tragedy is not entirely depraved.

Everyone need to understand that anything you send to the internet is public (other than under a separate PGP wrapper). Anyone who doesn't understand that shouldn't be running any major institution either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,244
    • Total Posts
      2,847,937
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×