Motor City Sonics

The Larry Nassar thing............

Um,  Spartans - what is your take?    

Very disappointing that Lou Anna Simon did not show up for day 1 of the victim statements - then shows up on Day 2 - after being shamed into it.   She sneaked in after the lunch recess and sat in the back.   Day 3 was a no show too.   I think showing up only after being shamed into it is actually worse than blowing it off because everyone can see it was for PR purposes and the fact that they are worried about PR kind of says it all.     

I think Lou Anna is probably out by the end of the day Friday.    There is no face-saving here.   2 options are 1 - she knew and didn't remove this guy from the inner circle  2- she didn't know,  which isn't as bad, but it's bad. It's  your ship, you need to know how it's sailing.   She's failed on that.   

This whole story is completely disgusting.    The love of Money corrupts everything - including sports.   

it’s sickening. 

Not sure why you need to say “um, Spartans.” That seems to imply that spartan fans need to somehow explain this. This has nothing to do with fandom. 

Money is an excuse for the Penn State thing, but what is gained financially here? Women's sports aren't exactly a money train, and reporting him and driving him out wouldn't have killed a cash cow.

I think silence was maintained out of fear of embarrassing the institution.

People will stretch their ethics if they think it is for some greater good entity / something bigger than themselves.

I just think the take from Spartan fans and Spartan fans is more important here.      I would imagine the Spartan faithful are much angrier than any Michigan fan like me.  

Stunned that Simon is still there.  Absloutley stunned. 

I was raised a Michigan State fan and rooted for them pretty hard up until a year or so ago.  With all the scandals around NCAA programs, the cover ups so that institutions can continue to make money/save face, not paying players, etc. made me really soften my fandom.  I think I watched a total of three football games, none full, this season and I have yet to watch an entire NCAAMB half.  But with all of this going down I'm basically done with NCAA fandom.  The whole situation is sickening and the MSU response has been pathetic, even Izzo's statement was garbage.  Sports and money over the athletes and students, so gross.  I took the MSU sticker off my car this weekend and probably will donate my MSU clothing to the Salvation Army.  I may be dramatic here but the whole thing makes me sick.

It should make everyone sick.

I think it also should give pause that there are people in positions of power that are willing to place institutions and the ideals those institutions purportedly represent above lives (and often youth) in the worst possible ways, and this repeats in history time and time again.

It depresses.

40 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

even Izzo's statement was garbage. 

yeah - where on earth was he coming from or going with that? I mean anyone can have stream of consciousness ruminations about what may be going on, but you'd think Izzo would have his antenna sharp enough not to say something like that in an interview.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What was his statement?

Googled it to copy and paste, and I see he's already in damage control mode saying he used the wrong words.  Way to go Tom... Here it is:

"I hope the right person was convicted", the support for the administration the so horribly dealt with the situation... bleh

I’ll give Izzo the benefit of the doubt regarding that one comment. I took it to mean that he hoped they got everyone. I don’t think he was even remotely suggesting that Nassar was not the person. It was obviously horribly worded. 

'I hope the right person was convicted' is amazingly bad wording.

As to supporting Simon, he is probably too close to her to throw her over even though it is merited.  I can appreciate the loyalty though he obviously has to look past that.

The thing about supporting the administration was a no win position for him. 

At best I think he should have just sidestepped the admin stuff and kept his focus on the victims.  Not the right time to show support for an institution that so gravely failed so many people, no matter your working relationship imo.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Agreed, but it isn't like he would get fired either.

1 minute ago, drownwithyou said:

At best I think he should have just sidestepped the admin stuff and kept his focus on the victims.  Not the right time to show support for an institution that so gravely failed so many people, no matter your working relationship imo.

I really dislike Tom Izzo. But I just can’t get too worked up over this particular episode with him. I don’t really know the context of it, but I assume he was asked directly about Simon. I don’t know what else he could have reasonably said. I don’t think a no comment type answer would have gone over well, either. And he isn’t going to criticize Simon because, frankly, he’s not really in a position to do so. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I really dislike Tom Izzo. But I just can’t get too worked up over this particular episode with him. I don’t really know the context of it, but I assume he was asked directly about Simon. I don’t know what else he could have reasonably said. I don’t think a no comment type answer would have gone over well, either. And he isn’t going to criticize Simon because, frankly, he’s not really in a position to do so. 

The question that was asked is in the twitter transcript above, I think if he had stopped his answer right before the "But, ..." that answer would have been fine.  I know it was spur of the moment, but this whole situation has been very upsetting to me so it's just another disappointment in my mind.

Is it that hard to attempt to strike the right tone here?   How are these PROFESSIONALS this obtuse?     I know that legally they are on thin ice and they can't say anything that would admit guilt because of pending lawsuits, but there is a way to do it that is pretty much opposite of what they are doing.  

A girl admitted to slamming her head into a tub and trying break her own bones so she wouldn't have to deal with that monster, and Joel Ferguson is chuckling and brushing off the NCAA?    He's always had a way of dipping his toe into controversy but this is beyond the pale, callous and insensitive.  This isn't about money Joel,  but it soon will be - better get ready for that, but until then SHUT THE **** UP!

Release a statement - one that is contrite and sensitive and supportive.  One statement that represents the University.  Try using something called empathy.   And then tell everyone to defer all questions to MSU's legal representatives until the investigations and lawsuits are resolved. 

Money has totally blinded these people to basic humanity.    And I don't think it's just an MSU problem, I think it could happen anywhere.   Sports used to be a lot more fun when it was about sports.         

From a university standpoint, I am stunned they are standing by Simon. It is the worse road by far PR wise. Even if it's the road you're going to take, there's a way to do it, and they are absolutely butchering it.