Mr.TaterSalad

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Though I think there is some chance they might say, we can't find 15 sacks any other way, just go ahead and do your one dimensional thing. Pasqualoni is the key of course. 

Maybe, but Patricia seems pretty confident in his schemes.

I agree that Pasqualoni is the key. There are undoubtedly things that Landry could do that he wasn’t asked to do at BC.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Just sayin it was a stated priority by Quinn himself. 

I have no interest in red shirting our RB draftee. Take one and use him or skip the position. THat's a waste 

I didn't say redshirt him. I said don't force feed him. And there's no reason to do that either. He'll get snaps when he earns them. And I would expect him to steal most of AA's snaps by midseason or so... That's not redshirt, that's increasing responsibilities as the season goes on...

I really like PJ hall from Sam Houston. He is built like a tree trunk. Was originally and edge rusher before moving to DT. I think he can provide an little bit of an interior pass rush. Most mocks have him going in the 5 thish round. 

I like Royce Freeman but I am worried about his high workload in college, he is a pretty physical runner so that doesn't help matters. 

If Corbrett is their in the 2nd the Lions should run to the podium. He played LT in college at Nevada, but everyone sees him as a Guard in the NFL. 

Vander Esch would be a great fit for the defense but I don't the Lions go that direction. The other guy I like in the 1st is Payne who might be there, but again the Lions probably avoid him even if he is there because he would pair poorly with A'shawn. 

On 4/8/2018 at 12:44 PM, Buddha said:

i hate the idea of overdrafting a rb, but i wouldnt be opposed to picking one up in round 2.

Agreed, but the Guard position needs to be addressed as well. Luckily I think both interior O-line and RB are pretty deep. You can get good players in the 3rd round. 

14 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I didn't say redshirt him. I said don't force feed him. And there's no reason to do that either. He'll get snaps when he earns them. And I would expect him to steal most of AA's snaps by midseason or so... That's not redshirt, that's increasing responsibilities as the season goes on...

Everyone has to earn their snaps of course, that goes without saying. If we take one that doesn't earn them immediately we probably failed though. 

2 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I really like PJ hall from Sam Houston. He is built like a tree trunk. Was originally and edge rusher before moving to DT. I think he can provide an little bit of an interior pass rush. Most mocks have him going in the 5 thish round. 

I like Royce Freeman but I am worried about his high workload in college, he is a pretty physical runner so that doesn't help matters. 

If Corbrett is their in the 2nd the Lions should run to the podium. He played LT in college at Nevada, but everyone sees him as a Guard in the NFL. 

Vander Esch would be a great fit for the defense but I don't the Lions go that direction. The other guy I like in the 1st is Payne who might be there, but again the Lions probably avoid him even if he is there because he would pair poorly with A'shawn. 

I think they kinda want two NT types tbh

I love Corbett. 

Gonna have to give Hall a look

13 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Everyone has to earn their snaps of course, that goes without saying. If we take one that doesn't earn them immediately we probably failed though. 

Seriously?

Immediately?

That's way too harsh for me. Alvin Kamara: 7-1-2-5 (1st 4 games)... no more than 12 carries in any game his 1st season, and critics say Quinn shoulda drafted him last year... Tevin Coleman 1st year: 20-9-0-0-2-4-3-3-1... 

There are probably 2nd or 3rd round backs who DID get a lot of snaps immediately. But if AA is on the roster to start the season, and we drafted Penny... he'll get squeezed and look more like Tevin or Kamara than Elliott.

And that doesn't bother me. Let him pick up speed on pass blocking, and push AA out the door. AA might not even let him if he starts the year off explosively (he's done that before...). 

I just don't see the need for instant gratification in this scenario.

Emmett Cleary has retired. That leaves Robinson, Mihalik, and Skipper as reserve tackles. Dahl can also play tackle. I would not be opposed to bringing in another tackle in increase competition in camp.

I am fine with Mihalik and Robinson thought. I like Corey a lot just worry about his health as he has been injury prone. Skipper is a real long shot to make a roster.

LWR 19 Golladay, Kenny 17/3 15 Tate, Golden U/Sea 12 Marquez, Bradley SF17 83 Ford, Dontez CF17    
RWR 11 Jones, Marvin U/Cin 13 Jones, TJ 14/6 17 Jones, Andy SF17 16 Billingsley, Jace CF16    
LT 68 Decker, Taylor 16/1 72 Mihalik, Brian W/Pit            
LG 00 Wiggins, Kenny U/LAC 66 Dahl, Joe 16/5            
C 60 Glasgow, Graham 16/3 00 Johnson, Wesley U/NYJ 75 Koloamatangi, Leo CF17        
RG 76 LANG, TJ U/GB 67 Kerin, Zac W/Min            
RT 71 Wagner, Ricky U/Bal 70 Robinson, Corey 15/7 74 Skipper, Dan SF17        
TE 00 Willson, Luke U/Sea 00 Toilolo, Levine CC/Atl 80 Roberts, Michael 17/4 84 Valles, Hakeem SF17 82 Barnes, Brandon CF17
QB 9 STAFFORD, MATTHEW 09/1 14 Rudock, Jake 16/6 00 CASSEL, MATT CC/Ten        
RB 21 Abdullah, Ameer 15/2 00 BLOUNT, LEGARRETTE U/Phi 34 Zenner, Zach CF15        
RB 25 Riddick, Theo 13/6 36 Washington, Dwayne 16/7 38 Green, Tion CF17        
Defense
LDE 69 Zettel, Anthony 16/6 90 Washington, Cornelius U/Chi 61 Hyder, Kerry SF15 79 Barrett, Alex CF17    
LDT 91 Robinson, A'Shawn 16/2 00 Williams, Sylvester CC/Ten 97 Spence, Akeem U/TB 62 Ringo, Christian SF17    
RDT 98 Ledbetter, Jeremiah 17/6 99 Coe, Rodney W/Sea 00 Johnson, Toby SF17        
RDE 94 Ansah, Ziggy FP 78 Valoaga, Jeremiah CF17            
OLB 00 Kennard, Devon U/NYG 44 Reeves-Maybin, Jalen 17/4 00 Freeny, Jonathan U/NO        
MLB 40 Davis, Jarrad 17/1 43 Bellore, Nick U/SF 53 Chubb, Brandon SF17        
OLB 00 Jones, Christian U/Chi 54 Longa, Steve SF16 00 Johnson, Cam SF18        
LCB 23 Slay, Darius 13/2 39 Agnew, Jamal 17/5 38 Barnes, Adairius CF16        
SS 32 Wilson, Tavon U/NE 28 Diggs, Quandre 15/6 35 Killebrew, Miles 16/4 41 Milligan, Rolan SF17 42 McClure, Stefan SF18
FS 27 QUIN, GLOVER U/Hou 45 Washington, Charles CF16            
RCB 24 Lawson, Nevin 14/4 00 Shead, DeShawn SF18 28 Diggs, Quandre 15/6        
CB 30 Tabor, Jalen 17/2                
Special Teams
P 6 Martin, Sam 13/5 2 Redfern, Kasey SF17            
PK 5 PRATER, MATT SF14                
LS 48 MUHLBACH, DON SF04                
H 6 Martin, Sam 13/5                
KO 6 Martin, Sam 13/5 5 PRATER, MATT SF14            
PR 39 Agnew, Jamal 17/5 15 Tate, Golden U/Sea            
KR 39 Agnew, Jamal 17/5 21 Abdullah, Ameer 15/2  

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DET

“Late first-round picks lack value. The other day, I was spit-balling on a potential Bills-Giants swap with a team exec, who said to me, “The problem is that the 22nd pick might as well be in the third round.” He was exaggerating, but only a little bit. The consensus I’ve heard is the difference between 22 and 52 is minimal this year, which is part of why the Colts did well to land a couple high second-rounders in their trade with the Jets.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/12/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-rumors-quarterback-mmqb

Edit: Im crossing my fingers that NE wants to take a QB in the first round, and wants to leapfrog Buffalo at 22 to do it. NE has the trade bait to make things interesting, and the hotline to Quinn’s office.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jason_R said:

“Late first-round picks lack value. The other day, I was spit-balling on a potential Bills-Giants swap with a team exec, who said to me, “The problem is that the 22nd pick might as well be in the third round.” He was exaggerating, but only a little bit. The consensus I’ve heard is the difference between 22 and 52 is minimal this year, which is part of why the Colts did well to land a couple high second-rounders in their trade with the Jets.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/12/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-rumors-quarterback-mmqb

Edit: Im crossing my fingers that NE wants to take a QB in the first round, and wants to leapfrog Buffalo at 22 to do it. NE has the trade bait to make things interesting, and the hotline to Quinn’s office.

I do not believe that. There is a difference between someone like Wynn/ Harold Landry and Orlando Brown/ Dorance Armstrong.

I am all for acquiring more picks though.

I do not believe that. There is a difference between someone like Wynn/ Harold Landry and Orlando Brown/ Dorance Armstrong.
I am all for acquiring more picks though.

I’m not sure it matters what any of us believes. It seems that NFL executives see a big drop between the top tier talent in this draft and everybody else.

Maybe the consensus is that Landry/Wynn/(YourFavoriteGuy) is in that top tier, maybe not. Maybe the guy Quinn thinks is top tier slips to pick 20, maybe not.

In any event, with NE having a big haul of picks, including #23, and having need of a QB, I’m hopeful that they decide they want to trade up to beat Buffalo to a guy like Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. (Though I’ve read hints that NE likes Kyle Lauretta from Richmond, who won’t go until later.)

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, Jason_R said:

I have a hard time believing any draft is that thin, but they're the experts so who knows. 

Love the NE trade idea though. 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, MAROTH4MVP said:

Emmett Cleary has retired. That leaves Robinson, Mihalik, and Skipper as reserve tackles. Dahl can also play tackle. I would not be opposed to bringing in another tackle in increase competition in camp.

I am fine with Mihalik and Robinson thought. I like Corey a lot just worry about his health as he has been injury prone. Skipper is a real long shot to make a roster.

I'm fine with that, but Cleary was a nothing IMO and is worse than the 3 players you listed on the roster

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, 84 Lives!!! said:

Seriously?

Immediately?

That's way too harsh for me. Alvin Kamara: 7-1-2-5 (1st 4 games)... no more than 12 carries in any game his 1st season, and critics say Quinn shoulda drafted him last year... Tevin Coleman 1st year: 20-9-0-0-2-4-3-3-1... 

There are probably 2nd or 3rd round backs who DID get a lot of snaps immediately. But if AA is on the roster to start the season, and we drafted Penny... he'll get squeezed and look more like Tevin or Kamara than Elliott.

And that doesn't bother me. Let him pick up speed on pass blocking, and push AA out the door. AA might not even let him if he starts the year off explosively (he's done that before...). 

I just don't see the need for instant gratification in this scenario.

Did you just use Kamara as an argument against immediate impact?

I'm exaggerating obviously, but your goal in drafting a RB is to maximize him on his rookie deal. Its the position that both expires earliest and adapts easiest to the NFL. That has to be the goal IMO. Especially when, you know, your RBs have been awful for a decade and you're desperately in need of fixing that...

I remember last year when Ruben Foster kept falling and falling and falling and people thought the Lions should draft him (including me) and then they took Jarrod Davis.   My first thought was there must be something really bad in Foster's personal life.   I guess there was.   Read about what he did.   If he's guilty, his careers over because he'll be in prison.   The 49ers seem to have a way to lose linebackers in their prime, don't they?     These guys are lauded for doing something violent at a very young age and some of them can't turn it off.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember last year when Ruben Foster kept falling and falling and falling and people thought the Lions should draft him (including me) and then they took Jarrod Davis.   My first thought was there must be something really bad in Foster's personal life.   I guess there was.   Read about what he did.   If he's guilty, his careers over because he'll be in prison.   The 49ers seem to have a way to lose linebackers in their prime, don't they?     These guys are lauded for doing something violent at a very young age and some of them can't turn it off.  

My thoughts exactly

I have a hard time believing any draft is that thin, but they're the experts so who knows. 
Love the NE trade idea though. 

Yeah, the thing that stood out to me is when Quinn said there are probably six different ways they could go with the pick.

I know he’s trying to be vague so as not to tip his hand, and I know he’s set himself up through FA so he is not backed into a corner.

But it also seems like at #20 he might literally have six guys basically equally rated and just pick a name out of a hat. That’s not ideal for a first round pick, where you hope you can get a cornerstone to build a position group around.

Just now, Jason_R said:

Yeah, the thing that stood out to me is when Quinn said there are probably six different ways they could go with the pick.

I know he’s trying to be vague so as not to tip his hand, and I know he’s set himself up through FA so he is not backed into a corner.

But it also seems like at #20 he might literally have six guys basically equally rated and just pick a name out of a hat. That’s not ideal for a first round pick, where you hope you can get a cornerstone to build a position group around.

I'd say its more like there are 10 guys he is absolutely sure will be gone and out of the next ten he likes 5-6 for us specifically, and odds are at least one of them makes it. Straight guessing though

GMs sometimes get flak for the guys they didn’t pick, but in this case Quinn deserves credit for not picking Foster. He did not beat himself.

3 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

GMs sometimes get flak for the guys they didn’t pick, but in this case Quinn deserves credit for not picking Foster. He did not beat himself.

And I do think Davis is going to be really good.   he showed promise but made rookie mistakes......because he was a rookie.   From what I hear - when he makes a mistake he doesn't get angry - he goes over to his coaches to see what he could have done better and I LOVE hearing that.  

21 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

If that's the case, I say trade down.  I'm usually a fan of trading down because depth is hugely important in the NFL due to high injury rate so if they don't have a particular guy that they are targeting at 20, trade down and you could probably still get one of those six guys and add another potential starter with a 3rd rounder.

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I’m not sure it matters what any of us believes. It seems that NFL executives see a big drop between the top tier talent in this draft and everybody else.

Maybe the consensus is that Landry/Wynn/(YourFavoriteGuy) is in that top tier, maybe not. Maybe the guy Quinn thinks is top tier slips to pick 20, maybe not.

In any event, with NE having a big haul of picks, including #23, and having need of a QB, I’m hopeful that they decide they want to trade up to beat Buffalo to a guy like Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. (Though I’ve read hints that NE likes Kyle Lauretta from Richmond, who won’t go until later.)

Would love to see the Lion's trade down. I am just saying they need to get value for doing so.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

If that's the case, I say trade down.  I'm usually a fan of trading down because depth is hugely important in the NFL due to high injury rate so if they don't have a particular guy that they are targeting at 20, trade down and you could probably still get one of those six guys and add another potential starter with a 3rd rounder.

Agreed, especially sense the areas of need are pretty deep in this class.

Well, with the Cowboys cutting Dez, maybe their pick at 19 will be used on a WR - and not on a DT that the Lions might have their eyes on.