Jump to content

Mr.TaterSalad

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

I'm terrified of this

Give reasons, man. We have nothing to do for the next month but argue about this stuff. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

got cleared for the pro day yesterday if ya didn't see

He still has the heart condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jason_R said:


Give reasons, man. We have nothing to do for the next month but argue about this stuff. ;-)

I've never seen Payne as a first round value, but I'm warming to him a bit I guess. Bama's system taught him to 2 gap which is rare in college and if Patrica,Quinn and Davis see something there, I'll trust it. He does have kind of a Vince Wilfork vibe to him.  That said, he got an alarmingly low amount of pressure in college even for a nose(compared to say, Vea), and you'd think you could find a run stuffer somewhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

He still has the heart condition.

Yup. I'm no doctor, but seems very concerning. I know they found something with Star Lotulei's heart pre-draft and he ended up still going first round and is still playing. of course. I've heard it might be the same thing that retired Nick Fairley though too. 

But again, Hurst is by farrrrrrrrrrrrrr my #1 choice for our pick without the heart factor and I'm not sure I even really need to say "unless so and so falls to our pick"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've never seen Payne as a first round value, but I'm warming to him a bit I guess. Bama's system taught him to 2 gap which is rare in college and if Patrica,Quinn and Davis see something there, I'll trust it. He does have kind of a Vince Wilfork vibe to him.  That said, he got an alarmingly low amount of pressure in college even for a nose(compared to say, Vea), and you'd think you could find a run stuffer somewhere else. 

The Patriots defense is a two gap system. It depends on 325 pounders up front who can make the right reads and take up space. They are not looking for the 3-technique, penetrating players who rack up sacks from the DT position.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/25/he_now_knows_nose/

Given that the Lions hired Bo Davis, who coached A’Shawn and Payne at Alabama, and given the importance and scarcity of gigantic, nimble, and smart players to anchor a DL, I would be very surprised if Quinn did not take Payne if he’s still on the board. (Vince Wilfork was taken with the 21st pick; these guys go in the first round.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bo Davis also coached Davenport in college as well.  Bo should know all these players well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, Jason_R said:


The Patriots defense is a two gap system. It depends on 325 pounders up front who can make the right reads and take up space. They are not looking for the 3-technique, penetrating players who rack up sacks from the DT position.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/25/he_now_knows_nose/

Given that the Lions hired Bo Davis, who coached A’Shawn and Payne at Alabama, and given the importance and scarcity of gigantic, nimble, and smart players to anchor a DL, I would be very surprised if Quinn did not take Payne if he’s still on the board. (Vince Wilfork was taken with the 21st pick; these guys go in the first round.)

I completely agree with you on our system. Payne's pressures are low for a 2 gap, which Bama also plays. For example, RObinson went in the 2nd round for this very reason, and he got more pressure than Payne. His college tape is not on par with a Vea or a Hurst by any means, not close. 

THat said, Payne is a great system fit, I did more research on him after your post and my opinion went up, We have Bo Davis and in the end I trust Patricia, Quinn and Davis if they feel they can mold his talent. His strength,size and athleticism are unreal, but he frequently comes out of his stance high and his lack of leverage neutralizes the aforementioned plus tools. That National Championship game performance(dont' care about the TE stuff)  was freakin' epic as well and could be a good sign. 

Also, whether I'd do it or not, I consider Landry,Vea and then Payne the overwhelming favorites for our pick. 

It does sound like Hurst is cool on the heart thing too, so he may be just as in the mix. THey get free visits with local guys so I'm sure they'll spend a lot of time on Hurst(and probably Cole)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, cruzer1 said:

Bo Davis also coached Davenport in college as well.  Bo should know all these players well.

and then Pasqualoni coached Landry and I believe someone had Arden Key? Good inside knowledge to have for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

... Also, whether I'd do it or not, I consider Landry,Vea and then Payne the overwhelming favorites for our pick...

This is where I'm at. I see it as 1) Vea, 2) Payne, 3) Landry on my 1st round draft board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I completely agree with you on our system. Payne's pressures are low for a 2 gap, which Bama also plays. For example, RObinson went in the 2nd round for this very reason, and he got more pressure than Payne. His college tape is not on par with a Vea or a Hurst by any means, not close. 
THat said, Payne is a great system fit, I did more research on him after your post and my opinion went up, We have Bo Davis and in the end I trust Patricia, Quinn and Davis if they feel they can mold his talent. His strength,size and athleticism are unreal, but he frequently comes out of his stance high and his lack of leverage neutralizes the aforementioned plus tools. That National Championship game performance(dont' care about the TE stuff)  was freakin' epic as well and could be a good sign. 
Also, whether I'd do it or not, I consider Landry,Vea and then Payne the overwhelming favorites for our pick. 
It does sound like Hurst is cool on the heart thing too, so he may be just as in the mix. THey get free visits with local guys so I'm sure they'll spend a lot of time on Hurst(and probably Cole)

I don’t watch a lot of college football so I don’t have strong opinions on who should get picked. My comments are more about who I think will get picked. Looking over the Pats draft history, the only DE they have picked high (rounds 1-2) is Chandler Jones. And they refused to pay him. But they have picked at least five monster DTs (315+) in first two rounds since Coach Belichick arrived.

Having filled holes in the front seven in FA, though, I think Quinn is hoping he can trade back a few slots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason_R said:


I don’t watch a lot of college football so I don’t have strong opinions on who should get picked. My comments are more about who I think will get picked. Looking over the Pats draft history, the only DE they have picked high (rounds 1-2) is Chandler Jones. And they refused to pay him. But they have picked at least five monster DTs (315+) in first two rounds since Coach Belichick arrived.

Having filled holes in the front seven in FA, though, I think Quinn is hoping he can trade back a few slots.

Yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea behind the edge thinking though is, they just spent 17 mil on one, so they must value it some, and he'll be gone in a year. Food for thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Quinn fails to draft an edge rusher early, passes on someone like Key or Davenport, and then Ziggy walks next year, should we start turning up the heat on him for it? I mean, when Mayhew and Lewand botched the resigning of Suh and then passed on Aaron Donald and failed to draft a suitable long-term replacement for Suh, we BBQ'ed them for that entire situation. It's only fair to treat Quinn equally no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Quinn fails to draft an edge rusher early, passes on someone like Key or Davenport, and then Ziggy walks next year, should we start turning up the heat on him for it? I mean, when Mayhew and Lewand botched the resigning of Suh and then passed on Aaron Donald and failed to draft a suitable long-term replacement for Suh, we BBQ'ed them for that entire situation. It's only fair to treat Quinn equally no?

There is a lot of risk with Davenport. A lot of drafts have Key going in the 2nd. Key has also had personal, weight, and injury problems. Landry will likely go before Key. I would not draft either Davenport or Key at 20. I also realize Davenport may have the talent to make you look foolish for not drafting him, however the risk is too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

There is a lot of risk with Davenport. A lot of drafts have Key going in the 2nd. Key has also had personal, weight, and injury problems. Landry will likely go before Key. I would not draft either Davenport or Key at 20. I also realize Davenport may have the talent to make you look foolish for not drafting him, however the risk is too much. 

i wouldnt take key or davenport at 20 either.  too many other better players should be available.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If Quinn fails to draft an edge rusher early, passes on someone like Key or Davenport, and then Ziggy walks next year, should we start turning up the heat on him for it? I mean, when Mayhew and Lewand botched the resigning of Suh and then passed on Aaron Donald and failed to draft a suitable long-term replacement for Suh, we BBQ'ed them for that entire situation. It's only fair to treat Quinn equally no?

You’re planning your anger against Quinn for what might happen 16 months from now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't remember the discussions a year before Stafford signed his extension?

He planned his anger around a scenario where Stafford showed just enough to get the extension but bad enough to be a bad signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You don't remember the discussions a year before Stafford signed his extension?

He planned his anger around a scenario where Stafford showed just enough to get the extension but bad enough to be a bad signing.

was that the year the lions made a big mistake by not drafting connor cook?  or the year the lions made a big mistake by mot trading for kirk cousins?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Quinn fails to draft an edge rusher early, passes on someone like Key or Davenport, and then Ziggy walks next year, should we start turning up the heat on him for it? I mean, when Mayhew and Lewand botched the resigning of Suh and then passed on Aaron Donald and failed to draft a suitable long-term replacement for Suh, we BBQ'ed them for that entire situation. It's only fair to treat Quinn equally no?

No. Donald was the BPA and we are in a much better roster situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

No. Donald was the BPA and we are in a much better roster situation. 

Concur.

I'd rather draft Vea or Payne if either falls to us over the available edge rushers. Passing on Davenport to draft Payne for example, is not a sin in my book but, rather, a positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 84 Lives!!! said:

Concur.

I'd rather draft Vea or Payne if either falls to us over the available edge rushers. Passing on Davenport to draft Payne for example, is not a sin in my book but, rather, a positive.

I probably like Davenport more than others but one way or another stick to your board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buddha said:

was that the year the lions made a big mistake by not drafting connor cook?  or the year the lions made a big mistake by mot trading for kirk cousins?

When Kurt Cousins wins a Super Bowl next year with the Vikings and 9-7 Matt Stafford is at the golf dome working on his iron play . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

No. Donald was the BPA and we are in a much better roster situation. 

Are we really in a "much better" roster situation now than when we made the playoffs in 14 and chose Ebron over Donald?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...