Mr.TaterSalad

2018 NFL Draft Thread

39 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

If I had my pick, it would be Ronald Jones.  He'll blow up the combine.

The comparison for Jones seems to be Jamaal Charles. I wouldn't complain if we took him in the second round at all.

• Like 1

jones would be good but he'll probably be gone by the lions' second round pick.

• Like 1

More I think about the FA class, the way the draft value lines up and our roster needs(both in general and in terms of Patricia's new systems), I think we may go LB again in the first. Vander Esch or Evan most likely if we do. Vander Esch was one of the best run defenders in college football and has plus length and athleticism in coverage. Patricia has stated LB is the key to his defense IIRC. 

I'd have no problem having two first rounders at LB myself, with Maybin in the mix somewhere as well

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

jones would be good but he'll probably be gone by the lions' second round pick.

He's a first round talent.

Lions Get
1st Pick In The Draft 2018  (obviously Barkley)
4th round pick from Cleveland in 2019
4th round pick from Cleveland in 2020

Browns Get
Lions 1st rounder in 2018
Lions 2nd rounder in 2018
Lions 3rd rounder in 2018
Lions 1st rounder in 2019
Lions 1st rounder in 2020. 

Would ya?   

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Lions Get

Browns Get

Would ya?   

I would not. I don't think I would trade up to 1st pick unless I needed a QB and could get a shot at a franchise player like a Peyton Manning. In league that ran the ball a lot more than today, guys like Sanders, OJ and Dickerson didn't bring their  teams championships. A good RB can help you get over the top if you have a good team already. I don't think the Lions are there yet so I wouldn't give up that many potential good players.

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Lions Get

Browns Get

Would ya?   

no way.

waaaaaaaaay too much to give up for any player, much less a running back in a draft chock full of running backs.

and if the lions are trading up that high it better be for bradley chubb.

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Lions Get

Browns Get

Would ya?   

Not a chance in **** I give up that much for one player who is one play away from breaking a leg or getting a concussion and never playing for us again.

Swapping first rounders and then giving up 2 more?  AND a 2nd and thiiird?  Nope.

9 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Not a chance in **** I give up that much for one player who is one play away from breaking a leg or getting a concussion and never playing for us again.

Swapping first rounders and then giving up 2 more?  AND a 2nd and thiiird?  Nope.

That's what you would probably have to give up because this year's Lions pick is #20.        

I wouldn't do this.   Not at all.   Remember the last 3 can't-miss RBs from Penn State.   John Capaletti, who rushed for less than 200 yards his first two seasons and never became a star player,  Ki-Jana Carter who peaked at 464 yards his second season than then was injured for several seasons and Curtis Enis who only played for 3 seasons.         So there must be a curse.    The Lions don't need a SECOND curse.    

Draft one at #20 or in the second round and also sign Isaiah Crowell and keep Riddick and there you go.     Crowell is a really good running back who was buried in Cleveland.   He'd be good insurance if your draft pick doesn't click.    Bye Bye Abdullah.  

abdullah is still really cheap and it doesnt really save them any money to cut him.

no way i trade up for the #1 pick to get a running back.  no way in heck.  heck!

sign a placeholder back like murray, draft one this year in 2nd or 3rd round if there is value.  

i wouldnt mind not drafting one and instead investing in the offensive line and rolling with abdullah/free agent/riddick.

I loved me some Barry Sanders like no other athlete before or since, and I wouldn't make that deal if I knew I was getting 20 year old Barry Sanders.

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

If three firsts did it I'd consider it for Barkley. 

that's insane.

i dont know many nfl players i would trade three first round picks for.  i do know that if theyre out there, none of them are running backs.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Lions Get

Browns Get

Would ya?   

I’m not even sure Mike Ditka would make that deal

On 3/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, Buddha said:

abdullah is still really cheap and it doesnt really save them any money to cut him.

no way i trade up for the #1 pick to get a running back.  no way in heck.  heck!

sign a placeholder back like murray, draft one this year in 2nd or 3rd round if there is value.  

i wouldnt mind not drafting one and instead investing in the offensive line and rolling with abdullah/free agent/riddick.

I don't even care about the moneh, Abdullah sucks.   He just sucks.    Get him out of here.   Blount, Riddick, Zenner and a Draft Pick, probably 2nd round, someone like Ronald Jones, Sony Michael, Nick Chubb or Rashaad Penny or Kerryon Johnson.   Guice will be gone before #20 and it appears as if the Lions are pretty desperate for a DT.  

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't even care about the moneh, Abdullah sucks.   He just sucks.    Get him out of here.   Blount, Riddick, Zenner and a Draft Pick, probably 2nd round, someone like Ronald Jones, Sony Michael, Nick Chubb or Rashaad Penny or Kerryon Johnson.   Guice will be gone before #20 and it appears as if the Lions are pretty desperate for a DT.  

They aren't acting desperate for anything right now.  They also have big needs at TE and LG.

5 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

They aren't acting desperate for anything right now.  They also have big needs at TE and LG.

I don't think they are as desperate for a TE as most.   I think they really like Michael Roberts - enough for them to get rid of an expensive headcase in Ebron.   

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, Buddha said:

that's insane.

i dont know many nfl players i would trade three first round picks for.  i do know that if theyre out there, none of them are running backs.

I get that. There's only a small handful. One of them for me is Saquon. I wouldn't do it for "a RB' but I'd do It for him. Stafford is deadly on play action with bums at RB. Put a force that defenses design their entire game plan around behind him and its SB time IMO. We haven't won a playoff game in 25 years and we have one total and no super bowls. Doesn't have to be now, doesn't have to be Barkley, but push those chips to the center at some point. 

I love Chubb, but I wouldn't give 3 firsts for him. Would have for Garrett. I do value DE a lot more than RB tho

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think they are as desperate for a TE as most.   I think they really like Michael Roberts - enough for them to get rid of an expensive headcase in Ebron.   

I think Roberts can replicate Fells, but you need more quality depth at the very least. Doesn't have to be a Gronk trade. 

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's a silly attitude teams get with their own players IMO. Abdullah is better than whoever would take his roster spot, period. 

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Thank you. No desperation moves. Loving Quinn methodically putting together a team that is incredibly deep, talented, versatile and well rounded.