Mr.TaterSalad

2018 NFL Draft Thread

I'll come back here at some point and post a list of prospects. But now that the playoffs are almost over and the Lions are in off-season mode, I figured it would be time to talk about the Super Bowl for Lions fans, the NFL draft.

Last year Quinn used FA to try to help rebuild the OL. Solder & Pugh are both FA's this year, which would be cheaper than trying to lure other higher priced position players via FA. That way we can use the draft for DL/LB/RB.

12 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

A lot will depend if we switch to a 3-4 defense under the new coach

The Pats do not run a strict 3-4 anymore, they run multiple. Getting LBers and DL is probably going to be a priority to run the Patricia defense. They should try to bring back Nagata, he isn't a full time player at this point but he can play NT. Having versatile player is key for the defense especially with linebackers. I don't think someone like Whitehead would fit the system very well, he can't cover and is not a good enough pass rusher to put him in the Rush LB spot. As you can see versatile Linebackers are essential. This is an example of some of systems the Patricia employs. 

Defense1.png

Defense2-420x286.png

Defense3-420x285.png

Defense4-420x301.png

Defense5-420x278.png

Defense6-420x301.png

Defense7-420x277.png

Defense8-420x295.png

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

The Pats do not run a strict 3-4 anymore, they run multiple. Getting LBers and DL is probably going to be a priority to run the Patricia defense. They should try to bring back Nagata, he isn't a full time player at this point but he can play NT. 

I know it changes, but I don't know if that is Bill or Patricia. As I said we'll have to hear from Patricia on his plan. Who knows maybe he prefers 3-4 with a rush edge. If he does that becomes a priority. Right now its hard to discuss what is needed, beyond generalities, without having the coach in place. 

9 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I know it changes, but I don't know if that is Bill or Patricia. As I said we'll have to hear from Patricia on his plan. Who knows maybe he prefers 3-4 with a rush edge. If he does that becomes a priority. Right now its hard to discuss what is needed, beyond generalities, without having the coach in place. 

Patricia is pretty much a lock as coach at this point, the Lions have told other candidates to move on. So the Lions pretty much do know what system they will be running. The bigger question is who they re-sign. Players like Lawson will either need to be re-signed or replaced somehow be it internally or draft or free agency. 

I don't think anyone runs a strict 3-4 anymore. The NFL has gone away from that, I can pretty much guarantee the Lions will run Multiple under Patricia. That is not to say there will not be a lot of 3-4 looks, and your right they will need a player capable of rushing off the edge for that system. I see someone like Killebrew being able to fill some sort of role for Patricia . Patrica has actually been pretty good at developing players, guys like Van Noy have which were taken on as reclamation projects have been successful.  Although it is uncertain how much of a role Belichick had in that. 

Also getting a NT is pretty important as the Pats run a lot of over/under. In addition to 3-4 looks that means 2 gap responsibility for the NT. Nagata can fill some of that role if they bring him back, if Vea is there I don't think he will be but he'd be great.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Its neither, its personnel. That's kinda the point. 

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Also getting a NT is pretty important as the Pats run a lot of over/under. In addition to 3-4 looks that means 2 gap responsibility for the NT. Nagata can fill some of that role if they bring him back, if Vea is there I don't think he will be but he'd be great.

Vea has to our #1 target IMO. 

Vea,Hurst,Landry,Edmunds,Evans,W.Hernandez and Guice is my short list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Vea has to our #1 target IMO. 

Vea,Hurst,Landry,Edmunds,Evans,W.Hernandez and Guice is my short list. 

I think A'shawn is prefect to play the DE  in situations where the DE is responsible for 2 gaps. Also the edge DT in a 3-4. There is no way Hyder or Zettel can fill that role of covering two gaps. That is big reason why the think the Lions need to acquire a true NT.

It is a lot easier to draft a edge rusher than a NT because there are so few NFL level NT in the draft.

I'd love to grab Vea as our Ngata 2.0. Don't think he falls to us though. We'd have to trade up.

If he did fall to us though, he'd be perfect. I'd take him.

I see that out of the five 9-7 teams we of course picked the latest, I swear it seems like any time we are in a tiebreaker like that we always either pick last or 2nd to last.   Not sure how the tie breaker would have worked if we finished 8-8 but there's a chance that week 17 win could have cost us 6 draft positions. 

50 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I see that out of the five 9-7 teams we of course picked the latest, I swear it seems like any time we are in a tiebreaker like that we always either pick last or 2nd to last.   Not sure how the tie breaker would have worked if we finished 8-8 but there's a chance that week 17 win could have cost us 6 draft positions. 

The tiebreakers for the draft are based on strength of schedule. The Lions had one of the toughest schedules so they slide back. Buffalo and Tennessee pick after Detroit since they made the playoffs even though they had a weaker schedule. Had the Lions finished 8-8, they would have picked 16th.

I agree with drafting Vea in the 1st round. Obviously the Lions will be drafting LB and a RB. They can also use a left guard.

• Like 1

I agree with drafting Vea in the 1st round. Obviously the Lions will be drafting LB and a RB. They can also use a left guard.

Though I don’t know anything about prospects, I agree that Quinn will spend his first round pick on the DL. Unless a premium edge rusher slips, or he decides to trade, I think the most value at the #20 slot will be at the DT position.

Patricia will have something to say also. I note that his defense has four DTs listed over 300 lbs, average about 325. The Lions only have Robinson (listed about 325) and Spence (listed about 305) if Ngata doesn’t come back. Vea is a big guy.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 12:08 AM, cruzer1 said:

100% agree they also need to find a CB#2, Lawson is a free agent. Obviously, I think that is more of a free agent move. I like Teebor but I just don't think he is ready. 

I like DE Ostman Central Michigan, I see him mocked in the 5th. He doesn't have great size but he is great at waiting until OT make their move then avoiding. Will be a good #3 end in my opinion.

I also like Maddox CB Pitt and to a lesser extent Nichols CB UCF, both are slot CBs projected in later rounds. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

100% agree they also need to find a CB#2, Lawson is a free agent. Obviously, I think that is more of a free agent move. I like Teebor but I just don't think he is ready. 

His numbers on pff were pretty good. Teez needs to play. They need a depth guy, but they can re sign some of their own fa's too. Basically they need a nickel, unless they get another ss and move Diggs back to corner. They have options.

Yah, Tabor is a top 3 CB for us next year no question. We need another starting caliber player though IMO. We need 4 more bodies at CB right now for camp, even if only 2 get kept.

I too would love to nab Vea at 20. I've seen him mocked as low as 19 to the Cowboys, and I would consider trading the 4th round pick with the Seahawks at 18 to get him (what it would likely take points wise). Probably wouldn't want to trade any higher though, because it would take a 3rd.

If not Vea, I like Marcus Davenport (DE) out of UTSA, Da'Ron Payne (DT) out of Alabama, or Termaine Edmunds (LB) out of Va. Tech.

Beyond the first round, I like Chubb or Michel, whether we pick up a RB in FA or not. I don't see much at that position right now to work with. I doubt Abdullah makes the 53-man on the Lions. If neither are there, I'd go for Vander Esch (LB) out of Boise State, or one of the many late 2nd round CB's available. If Justin Reid (S) out of Stanford were to drop, he'd be someone worth picking up as a BPA. I am definitely biased, but he's got a ton of raw talent.

Outside that, pick up as many defensive pieces as possible, probably with OT depth mixed in.

• Like 2

If you were forced to take one of the two, would you rather Sony Michel or Nick Chubb? Who ends up being the more productive NFL back?

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you were forced to take one of the two, would you rather Sony Michel or Nick Chubb? Who ends up being the more productive NFL back?

Chubb is more physical and has greater potential (IMO) to be an everydown back in the NFL, but Michel has more explosiveness with a greater chance to bust a big play. It’s noteworthy that Michel is known as a pretty decent receiver though where as Chubb is not, which is probably why Michel is being slotted above Chubb in the drafts I’ve seen.

I’d say if this pick was the only move they’re making RB-wise this offseason, pick Michel, but if they pick up another in Free Agency, grab Chubb.

Ran an early Draft Mock at first-pick.com and ended up with:

1) Vita Vea

2) Will Hernandez

3) Royce Freeman

4) Kerryon Johnson

5) Fred Warner (OLB)

7) Rashann Gaulden (CB)