AlaskanTigersFan

Alex Wilson for Jurickson Profar

Deal Alex Wilson for Profar?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would a deal like the Tigers Alex Wilson for Jurickson Profar be Good?

• Yes - The Tigers would win this deal
    • No - The Rangers would come out way ahead
    • This would be a great deal for both teams

Who says no here??? Wouldn't a deal like this make sense? Super high ceiling prospect for a later inning guy? Just curious what you guys think of a deal like this would do for Tigers fans? I'd be all for it. (BTW, this is 100% made up speculative, there's no rumors or anything about this [that I know of\). Just curious on your thoughts on this....

I guess the Rangers might be pretty down on Profar at this point, but enough to give him up for a 30yr old 1.4 WHIP reliever? I'd be surprised, but it would be pleasant surprise.

I would do it.  I doubt the Rangers would go for it, but it'd be worth it for the Tigers.

Obviously he hasn't been anything substantial in the majors yet, but he'll be only 25 on Opening Day.  And he has a very nice 1:1 BB:SO ratio throughout the minors.  It seems like that should translate into something more respectable than the 1:2 he has so far in his major league career, and that should yield some better OPS results, although maybe not the .800 that he had in the minors.

Maybe a change of address would help the kid.  Maybe it just hasn't clicked but its about to.

I think if the rangers wanted to trade profane they would be able to get a better return than Alex Wilson. 

• Like 1

Rangers say no. But definitely a guy to try to get. 3 years of control left. Maybe Boras can whine Profar's way out of Texas.

Greene or Norris are too much to give up.

Maybe Boyd for Profar?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I think if the rangers wanted to trade profane they would be able to get a better return than Alex Wilson. 

I guess Profar has built up a bit of an injury rap sheet and that has to hurt his value, but yeah - I can't see Wilson bringing much more than a bag of balls. They'd have moved him last fall if he would have brought as much as Profar.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Rangers say no. But definitely a guy to try to get. 3 years of control left. Maybe Boras can whine Profar's way out of Texas.

Greene or Norris are too much to give up.

Maybe Boyd for Profar?

I wouldn’t trade Boyd for profar.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I wouldn’t trade Boyd for profar.

I did not realize Boyd has 5 years of control left. A flyball pitcher probably would not fit in Texas anyway.

What did I tell you?    I told you I envisioned Jurickson Profar as a Tiger.    

but the only reason I envisioned that is I think his name is awesome.    Never saw another Jurickson before. 

On 1/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, Shelton said:

This is the ******* truth.

Profar has a large body of professional hitting work that seems to add up to a mediocre ML hitter.  He's versatile and young, so he's certainly worth more than Alex Wilson....I don't see how the Tigers could entice a trade that would make sense for both teams in exchange for Profar.

The bigger question is what does Profar get you? At his point does he project any better than Iglesias? Maybe he has a higher theoretical ceiling but with his injury and hitting issues at the MLB level the higher probability is that the best you are going to do is save a couple of million over Iggy for a year or two while getting similar results. Sure, the money end has appeal to the front office but there isn't much there in term of immediate fan value or shortening in the overall rebuild schedule.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The bigger question is what does Profar get you? At his point does he project any better than Iglesias? Maybe he has a higher theoretical ceiling but with his injury and hitting issues at the MLB level the higher probability is that the best you are going to do is save a couple of million over Iggy for a year or two while getting similar results. Sure, the money end has appeal to the front office but there isn't much there in term of immediate fan value or shortening in the overall rebuild schedule.

I don't think Profar has hitting issues yet, at least not as compared to where Iggy is today and where he's likely to be in the future. 

Profar would project to have a higher OB and SLG than where Iglesias was. 

Now that Iggy is 28, I think Profar will probably be a better hitter for the next 4+ years than Iggy. 

Profar also has the upside factor, in that if he gets it together he could be a Brandon Phillips level hitter. 

Iggy has peaked out as a below average hitter and if anything will start to decline.

Injury issues are probably about the same for both.

Profar can play a few positions pretty well.  That has to count for something in the equation.

There would be the savings, but that's not really a huge concern for me.

Anyway, it's a moot point.  The Tigers have nothing that the Rangers need that would be worth giving up for Profar.  It would be one thing if the Tigers could swap Iggy for Profar straight up, but Iggy is the last thing the Rangers need....I thought for a minute that Iggy could be a more sure-shot replacement for Andrus, but Iggy is only one year younger than Andrus (!!!).