Motor City Sonics

Western Wayne & Washtenaw Counties - Did you hear that?

Hi there............Just heard a LOUD explosion or was it thunder.  My whole house shook like crazy.  It didn't seem like thunder.    

I’m in Commerce Twp, we saw a flash of light. Thought it might have been a transformer. Power is still on. ...????????

Now, imagine WE got that warning 2 days ago that Hawaii did........................people would have lost their minds. 

Yeah, that didn't sound like thunder.  It sounded like a bunch of debris landed on my roof or someone was wresting upstairs.     I took my version of "Lucille" (A club with nails pounded in it) upstairs to see I had a squatter or two.   It shook the house that much.     Dog was trippin'     

• Like 1

My wife was obsessed with this last night.  We live in metro Detroit and heard nor felt a thing.  She was upset we didn't hear or see anything.  This hysteria over earth quakes, tremors, meteors etc make me laugh.  Everyone wants to be a part of it for some weird reason.

They are extremely rare events. It’s natural to want to have experienced it first hand.

I was in the car with my wife when it happened. Didn’t see the “fireball” but noticed the giant flash of light. We both assumed it was lightning or something. 

I heard it loud and clear.  I thought my son had knocked over some books in his room.  Loud thuds and I heard some rattling.  My wife said that wasn't it, sounded like outside.  Then I got worried because we have an old tree and my fear was a huge branch fell over.  Once before that happened and it was a lot louder than I would have expected it to be.  Once I saw that was clear I just assumed it was something construction related nearby.

A few min later she told me it was all over facebook and then I thought maybe a plane crash, we're not far from the airport.

If i had seen it I would have thought it was a nuclear attack.  I really would have.  Glad I didn't. 

Funniest thing i read online about the possibilities was "My cousin said Garden City HS blew up"

My season ticket partner lives a block away from there.

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I heard it loud and clear.  I thought my son had knocked over some books in his room.  Loud thuds and I heard some rattling.  My wife said that wasn't it, sounded like outside.  Then I got worried because we have an old tree and my fear was a huge branch fell over.  Once before that happened and it was a lot louder than I would have expected it to be.  Once I saw that was clear I just assumed it was something construction related nearby.

A few min later she told me it was all over facebook and then I thought maybe a plane crash, we're not far from the airport.

If i had seen it I would have thought it was a nuclear attack.  I really would have.  Glad I didn't. 

Come to think of it, I did joke that maybe it was a missile. 

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

My wife was obsessed with this last night.  We live in metro Detroit and heard nor felt a thing.  She was upset we didn't hear or see anything.  This hysteria over earth quakes, tremors, meteors etc make me laugh.  Everyone wants to be a part of it for some weird reason.

You get excited about zombie shows. Everyone is different. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

You get excited about zombie shows. Everyone is different. 

No doubt everyone is different.  I am just not sure what they want to be a 'part of'.  The story somehow?  Nobody really cares if you heard it or felt it.  I am a nut about a lot of things.  You will not find a guy more interested in space.  It dominates my mind most days.  

We saw a flash (Wolverine Lake, Commerce Twp) my wife thought she heard something. My first thought was possibly a transformer or one of streetlights in the complex blowing up.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

No doubt everyone is different.  I am just not sure what they want to be a 'part of'.  The story somehow?  Nobody really cares if you heard it or felt it.  I am a nut about a lot of things.  You will not find a guy more interested in space.  It dominates my mind most days.  

I think a lot people care whether others heard it or felt it. I like to hear people’s reactions to strange things. I don’t think anyone wants to be part of the story, whatever that is supposed to mean. I think people who missed it could be bummed out if it’s the type of thing they would have liked to see. 

People drove to the middle of nowhere over the summer to stand around and wait for it to get dark for a couple minutes. Millions of others wore stupid glasses to look at a partially blacked out circle become more blacked out and then less blacked out. 

People look at the super moon. 

People talk about whether they felt an earthquake  

This was a random event that people had no warning of. Of course people will want to share what they experienced. 

I felt an earthquake at my sister's house in San Diego.      I told her I feel the earth........move.......under my feet,  I feel the sky tumbling down.   Then she told her friend Carole about it and BAM - hit record, but do I get the credit?  NOOOOOOOOO

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I felt an earthquake at my sister's house in San Diego.      I told her I feel the earth........move.......under my feet,  I feel the sky tumbling down.   Then she told her friend Carole about it and BAM - hit record, but do I get the credit?  NOOOOOOOOO

I used to live in San Diego  and felt many earthquakes.  Worst one was when I was reaching for a light switch and the ground under one of my feet sunk and then came back up. 

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I used to live in San Diego  and felt many earthquakes.  Worst one was when I was reaching for a light switch and the ground under one of my feet sunk and then came back up. 

I didn't feel it so much but her kitchen table started shaking and the glasses in the cabinets were shaking and she lived on a smaller street (Niagra, a block off of Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach) and there were no trucks driving by.   She said "Oh, that's an earthquake" like it was a daily thing.   I have to admit, I kind of wanted it to be a bit bigger - to experience it...................I know, I'm a bad person.   

Some folks said they heard a big bang and rumble and then went outside and saw a flash.  I CALL BULL****.    The sound came a fair amount later than the flash - because that thing was very very high in the air- much higher than it looked.   That's why people saw/heard it in Indiana, Pennsylvania and even on the campus of Indiana University of Pennsylvania 

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Some folks said they heard a big bang and rumble and then went outside and saw a flash.  I CALL BULL****.    The sound came a fair amount later than the flash - because that thing was very very high in the air- much higher than it looked.   That's why people saw/heard it in Indiana, Pennsylvania and even on the campus of Indiana University of Pennsylvania 

it had to be within roughly 50 miles of the earth's surface to have hit enough atmosphere to explode. If you were directly below the point where it exploded (somewhere between Chelsea and Lansing?) , the sound would take 4 minutes to reach the surface (50 miles = 260k ft; speed of sound ~1100 ft/sec). The time delay would be shorter if the meteor was lower when it exploded, but if were not that high it seems impossible it could have been seen in PA.