MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Le'Veon Bell removed Pittsburgh from his Twitter and Instagram handles. If he hits the open market, would you break the bank and sign Bell?

to me that is a tough call. I've always thought that in FB you win with depth - that with the single exception of QB,  it's more important for your 2nd string to be good than for your 1st string to be great. The Lions were very much a star oriented team under WCF and it got them nowhere. Still, Bell would be nice......

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Le'Veon Bell removed Pittsburgh from his Twitter and Instagram handles. If he hits the open market, would you break the bank and sign Bell?

no way.  too old, too expensive, too many other needs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Absolutely needed to be done.

And one point on Maroth's worry about cap space:

We have plenty of it to fill all our needs. Franchising Ansah does not restrict us in any way.

Sure it does. That's all money that could have been used to extend other guys. That could have been someone's front loaded contract. Someone like Golden Tate who is a FA in 2019 could have got a chunk of that money and freed up space in the future. 

It is not wise to franchise a DE who you think will be not be effective the vast majority of games. I hope he proves me wrong. I understand most posters here value Ansah more than me and that's fine. 

I would but I also think it would be a huge mistake.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:47 PM, Jason_R said:

Sure, but Quinn doesn’t think this. And unlike us, he has seen all the film, workouts, and medical reports.

http:// http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/02/lions_think_the_world_of_ezeki.html#incart_river_mobile_index

You are absolutely right. I'd just argue his proven track record of inability to stay healthy is worth more than all of those medical reports. I hope Quinn and Ansah prove me wrong.

The Bears are hot and heavy after Landry. Trying to work a deal with Dolphins.

Chiefs believe Albert Wilson to go to the Bears.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, MAROTH4MVP said:

Sure it does. That's all money that could have been used to extend other guys. That could have been someone's front loaded contract. Someone like Golden Tate who is a FA in 2019 could have got a chunk of that money and freed up space in the future. 

It is not wise to franchise a DE who you think will be not be effective the vast majority of games. I hope he proves me wrong. I understand most posters here value Ansah more than me and that's fine. 

Vinny Curry is getting released. Sure would be nice to have of that 17.5 million to offer him. That's probably 2 years of Curry, he will want a longer contract but still.

i get even if the Lions offered Curry a contract, he might not want to go to Detroit. But this is the exact sort of flexibility I have been ranting about. 

Vinny Curry is getting released. Sure would be nice to have of that 17.5 million to offer him. That's probably 2 years of Curry, he will want a longer contract but still.

i get even if the Lions offered Curry a contract, he might not want to go to Detroit. But this is the exact sort of flexibility I have been ranting about. 

And if Curry decides to sign somewhere else?  I guess you could put $17.5 million in cash in a pile on the field.  Someone might trip over it.  Maybe you could give $1 million per game to your opponent's left tackle to let your crappy DE get a sack.

Not to mention Curry is not really good at getting to the quarterback.  The Lions have that covered already.

Ansah has more sacks in his last 2 games than Curry has in his last 2 years.

10 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Ansah has more sacks in his last 2 games than Curry has in his last 2 years.

This is true. However sacks aren't everything. Curry has not missed a game in those 2 seasons. Curry was not starting full time until last year. Ansah probably has more raw talent but Curry is a much safer bet health wise.

Ansah probably has more raw talent but Curry is a much safer bet health wise.

One might have said the same thing about Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez after their first two seasons in the NFL.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

This is true. However sacks aren't everything. Curry has not missed a game in those 2 seasons. Curry was not starting full time until last year. Ansah probably has more raw talent but Curry is a much safer bet health wise.

Ansah has 44 career sacks. Curry half that. #dropthemic

13 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

ansah is better than curry.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

ansah is better than curry.

Never said he wasn't. Just Curry is more reliable and is better  value given Ansah's injury history and 17.5 million cap hit.

4 hours ago, Jason_R said:

One might have said the same thing about Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez after their first two seasons in the NFL.

Different situation. Also, we actually know how old Stafford is.

Never said he wasn't. Just Curry is more reliable and is better  value given Ansah's injury history and 17.5 million cap hit.

B.s.

curry is a depth player, nothing more.  ansah is a better player.  better players cost more money when they hit free agency and is why ansah go twhat he got.

i get that there are serious concerns about ansah and i dont like the lions having to rely on him again.  that said - again - there are no other better options out there this year.

the simple idea that vinny curry being available is somehow a reason the lions shouldnt have tagged ansah is incorrect, imo.  curry isnt as good as ansah.

and to be honest, the lions still have enough money to sign vinny curry if they want to.

They need to sign Ansah to a longer deal to bring the cap down. 4 years with insurance built in.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

They need to sign Ansah to a longer deal to bring the cap down. 4 years with insurance built in.

Why would Ansah do that deal. He can get his 17.5 millions this year and have another team overpay for him next year.

37 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Why would Ansah do that deal. He can get his 17.5 millions this year and have another team overpay for him next year.

he would get more up front money now that the lions would be able to smooth out over the course of the contract.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't think this is in the plans. I think its a bad year for defensive ends in both free agency and the draft. They felt Ansah was the best option.  Sure they could trade for Michael Bennett (Seahawks) and give up players and draft picks but in the end perhaps felt better about giving up 17+ million for a guy they already have.

Don't get me wrong there are some very good OLB who can help a pass rush. 

32 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Kyle Fuller got franchised by the Bears. 

Not correct. Trasition tagged