MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

I would franchise Ansah. Dallas is probably going to franchise Lawrence. Even if they don't, there would likely be a bidding war for a player who had one good season. Let's have our defensive guru head coach work with Ansah and see what happens. I wouldn't commit long term to Ansah.

franchise him unless they can get a long term deal that pays a ton up front and allows you to cut him in a couple years.

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I would sign Ziggy to a 5 year deal.

You're crazy cruzer. I mean I've been creeping around these boards for years and I can say this this is the least crazy thing you've said. Ok so where to start....

1. Ansah hasn't been healthy in years.

2. He's old. I don't buy the legitimacy of his actual age. Dude looks like he's 40. 

3. He's looking for big money as anyone would be. I see this as his last big paycheck.

4. He racked up like 80% of his sacks this year against the worst possible teams. 

Basically if the deal were structured to a point where it's fair to both parties I'm all in on the multi year deal. If it pays the majority of it up front again I'm ok with it. If it has incentives based on sacks and playing time I'm definitely ok with it. But if it's just a ok here's that "Shu" type pay check then nope. I'd rather just tag him for a year and then see how healthy he won't stay. Before committing that much money into him. 

ansah is a real disappointment as a pass rusher and hasnt been healthy in 2 years.  on the bright side, he helps their run defense.

unfortunately, he is the best option the lions have if the cowboys franchise lawrence.

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

ansah is a real disappointment as a pass rusher and hasnt been healthy in 2 years.  on the bright side, he helps their run defense.

unfortunately, he is the best option the lions have if the cowboys franchise lawrence.

I believe Ansah is our best option this off-season without a doubt but I can't see investing a huge contract into an oft injured player. Especially that kind of money. But a one year flier to see if he can return to form I'd definitely be ok with. 

1 hour ago, PVM4HTORAM said:

I believe Ansah is our best option this off-season without a doubt but I can't see investing a huge contract into an oft injured player. Especially that kind of money. But a one year flier to see if he can return to form I'd definitely be ok with. 

Maroth4mvp, tagging him with 18 mill would be crazy stupid. At least with a multi year pact you can make a five year deal into a shorter deal with all guarantee years at beginning of the deal. You lose leverage when you're franchising.

Also, Ansah has elite ability.  He's top of the first round type of material.  Still is.  Other teams would kill to get a player with that ability.  Just needs to get healthy, which is an issue with about 100% of all NFL players.  All players get injured.

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I'm gonna get another id and call it 1rezurc

Well your free to think what you want but if someone with power on this site wants to check IP addresses and emails you would find we're not the same guy. 

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Also, Ansah has elite ability.  He's top of the first round type of material.  Still is.  Other teams would kill to get a player with that ability.  Just needs to get healthy, which is an issue with about 100% of all NFL players.  All players get injured.

I agree he's talented but what good is a broken down sports car that sits in the driveway. I mean you could take it for a night or two but you're gonna crack the head gaskets. So just out of curiosity, if you had the money, you would spend $70 million on a sports car you could only use once or twice a year? Or if you do use it more than that it could only go 40 mph at most? 

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

ansah has elite straight line speed but i dont remember seeing him consistently using pass rush moves.

the lions dont have a real good option other than to sign him.

On 2/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, cruzer1 said:

I'm gonna get another id and call it 1rezurc

Scott is welcome to confirm that we are different people. I do know him though, hence his user name. But you won't believe that.

Racking up sacks against Flowers. Shouldn't get you a 5 year deal. Ansah is seemingly never healthy. He has talent, I get that. But given the fact you are already paying a lot of money to some players do the Lions really need to invest in an injury prone player.

3 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Franchise him for this year. Nothing more.

Almost 17 million last year to franchise a DE. That would mean losing a ton a flexibility. I think the money could be better spent and the Lions would get much more value and plug more holes.

35 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Almost 17 million last year to franchise a DE. That would mean losing a ton a flexibility. I think the money could be better spent and the Lions would get much more value and plug more holes.

They would lose too much talent.  Someone's going to give him the contract. Lions need to keep him. Plug more hole with lesser players? Been there done that.

1 minute ago, cruzer1 said:

They would lose too much talent.  Someone's going to give him the contract. Lions need to keep him. Plug more hole with lesser players? Been there done that.

9/12 sacks were in 3 games against some pretty weak matchups. The rest of the games he was not some unreplacable factor. For they money it will take to re-sign him there is much better value with less injury risk.

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

who are you going to replace him with?

A first round draft pick. Perhaps Marcus Davenport/UTSA, Harold Landry/Boston College, Rasheem Green/USC, Arden Key/LSU, De'Shawn Hand/Alabama.

There are some decent DE in the 2nd and 3rd round as well. They probably do not have the same talent level but should be more consistent and hopefully more durable.

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A first round draft pick. Perhaps Marcus Davenport/UTSA, Harold Landry/Boston College, Rasheem Green/USC, Arden Key/LSU, De'Shawn Hand/Alabama.

davenport is a project, like ansah.

landry is not a de.

hand is not a pass rusher.

key has issues.

and the plan for the lions should be to keep ansah AND draft a pass rusher, be it an OLB like Landry or a DE like davenport or a DT like Vea.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, Buddha said:

davenport is a project, like ansah.

landry is not a de.

hand is not a pass rusher.

key has issues.

and the plan for the lions should be to keep ansah AND draft a pass rusher, be it an OLB like Landry or a DE like davenport or a DT like Vea.

Landry is most certainly a DE and a favorite to fill the role for us IMO. An open, right side DE, but a DE no less. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:42 AM, Buddha said:

who are you going to replace him with?

He wasn't good enough or close to good enough to be irreplaceable for 18 mil. Sign 3 6 mil guys or something. Get Mo Wilkerson or Dontari Poe at DT. 

Personally, I think we might see both though. They tag Ansah, draft a first round DE, then we are deep this year but the rookie doesn't have to carry the pass rush. Ngata also gets a 1 year deal, and we take a first round DT next year in the loaded class.

Fwiw, beyond that it sounds like they pursue Justin Pugh and Carlos Hyde both hard to fix the run game. Draft another RB in the 3rd or 4th, LB in round 2 and most of your holes are filled. If you can pull a Peters or Talib trade to top it off you're pretty loaded.  

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:36 AM, cruzer1 said:

but not all cost 18 mil and not all recover to full strength. This is 2 full years of Ansah hurt now. Big gamble. Ideal scenario is franchise and trade on the cheap. 

19 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

He wasn't good enough or close to good enough to be irreplaceable for 18 mil. Sign 3 6 mil guys or something. Get Mo Wilkerson or Dontari Poe at DT. 

Personally, I think we might see both though. They tag Ansah, draft a first round DE, then we are deep this year but the rookie doesn't have to carry the pass rush. Ngata also gets a 1 year deal, and we take a first round DT next year in the loaded class.

Fwiw, beyond that it sounds like they pursue Justin Pugh and Carlos Hyde both hard to fix the run game. Draft another RB in the 3rd or 4th, LB in round 2 and most of your holes are filled. If you can pull a Peters or Talib trade to top it off you're pretty loaded.  

i think the franchise ansah and draft a pass rusher in round 1.