MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

At the very least, we should only expect him to be able to perform as the second highest paid QB instead of the highest paid.  No more of these unrealistic expectation of being better than eveeyone else.
Stafford will be the 5th highest paid at the start of the season. Next will be Cousins. Then there will be a game of chicken between Rodgers and Ryan. I think Ryan caves first making Rodgers the highest paid.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No faith in Kerry Hyder?

the one season wonder coming off an achilles tear?  no.  no faith in him.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, hardyaf said:

Agreed. I don't see the lions targeting a CB. Its realistically a position of strength at the top with slay, and serviceable throughout. They need pass rushers badly. I would expect to see pass rushers be the focus. 

Just to stir the pot, if the cowboys cut Dez (like barnwell suggested), I wouldn't be upset if the lions brought him here. Even though WR is no where near a position of need. However, I have to believe they realize the issue is their QB can't throw, not that Dez suddenly sucks at 29. I would give this about a 0% chance of actually happening though.

No thanks.  I'd rather see Golladay get more reps and bringing Dez in will just hinder that.  Receiver and corner are two areas where I don't see a big need for an upgrade.  The defensive front 7, a pass rusher in particular, and running back are the biggest needs, maybe a vet corner?.  I'd like to see the offensive line healthy this season before making any changes there.

Need a Guard. Draft or FA. 3rd round can usually get a really good one. A run-mauling guard (new O-line coach likes power blocking instead of zone blocking... which could cause issues with Cooter as he favors zone blocking for pass-protect purposes... potential conflict for Patricia to deal with this year?); and two running backs. Fresh legs please. 2nd round RB, 3rd round guard, 4th round RB, whoever falls...

1st round D-Line. Interior rusher or edge rusher, or a big-*** NT (Vea), I don't care.

5th round strong-side LB'er/ pass rusher (small college sleeper), 7th round CB (flyer/ small college sleeper again).

Use FA to fill in some holes/ get veteran leadership/ depth.

I'm good.

IE: For FA, my priorities would be almost all defense: Ansah and Lawson, Ngata for depth and leadership (even if we draft Vea, who better to teach him the ropes?), Whitehead, and Worrilow and Hayden for depth and competition? We can still draft competition/ young guys to grow and take over spots. 

I think they'll also want Fells back. At least for 1 year. A RB or guard, but they'll be too pricey in FA so I'd rather draft those positions.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I feel like they'll target Malcolm Butler to replace Lawson. Unless of course it was because of Patricia he was benched for the Super Bowl. 

I disagree.

Did any info every come out about why Butler was benched?

[super-duper tinfoil hat conspiracy theory]

Belichick made a last ditch effort to keep his two coodinators, maybe even wanting to keep Patricia more than McDaniels.  When Patricia refused to stay even after Belichick offered him the NE Head Coach spot when he retired "in the near future" Belichick got pissed and decided to punish Patricia by benching Butler to make Patricia look less effective in the SB.

[/super-duper tinfoil hat conspiracy theory]

• Thanks 1

malcom butler will be too expensive and they drafted a cb in the second round last year.  your starting cbs next year will be slay and tabor.  they will add depth corners and take a flyer on a guy who had talent but has not produced, but theyre not going to break the bank for a cb.  that wpuld be too much money tied up at the position when they have a lot of other needs to fill.

the lions may spend a lot on a pass rusher, but not on a cb.

• Like 1

Hey, I did say it was a wild *** theory.  I don't believe it's true, but it did flash through my brain at one point.

Yes, Belichick benched a player he actually wanted to play to sabotage the defense of his team in the super bowl to make his defensive coordinator look bad. Makes perfect sense.

29 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yes, Belichick benched a player he actually wanted to play to sabotage the defense of his team in the super bowl to make his defensive coordinator look bad. Makes perfect sense.

Okay look... first: I don't believe it, even though I typed it... it's was just a crazy thought that popped into my head.  That's the reason for the silly bracketty things around it.

But... if we make enough assumptions, then the end result isn't necessarily an impossible conclusion.  OF COURSE the assumptions are probably all hair brained.  I'm NOT trying to advocate that this is real and what happened.  It was just a random thought I decided to post as a joke.

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Okay look... first: I don't believe it, even though I typed it... it's was just a crazy thought that popped into my head.  That's the reason for the silly bracketty things around it.

But... if we make enough assumptions, then the end result isn't necessarily an impossible conclusion.  OF COURSE the assumptions are probably all hair brained.  I'm NOT trying to advocate that this is real and what happened.  It was just a random thought I decided to post as a joke.

Well yeah, it was clearly a joke. The funny thing to me is that you have these types of thoughts!

Usually with a tin foil conspiracy theory type thing, the people doing the thing do so for some sort of benefit. Like, Bush did 9/11 so he could go to war. Or the school shooting was a false flag thing to take our guns. Or Harvey Weinstein was photoshopped into a picture with trump in 2009 so the photographer could make more money posting it on Getty images. 

In this case, I can’t see any sort of benefit. At most, belichick somehow gets satisfaction that his outgoing coach, who already has a job, looks bad? And at the cost of making himself look bad by putting the outcome in jeopardy (and ultimately losing the super bowl).

dont get me wrong, I love a good red ramage thread. 

5 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Did any info every come out about why Butler was benched?

[super-duper tinfoil hat conspiracy theory]

Belichick made a last ditch effort to keep his two coodinators, maybe even wanting to keep Patricia more than McDaniels.  When Patricia refused to stay even after Belichick offered him the NE Head Coach spot when he retired "in the near future" Belichick got pissed and decided to punish Patricia by benching Butler to make Patricia look less effective in the SB.

[/super-duper tinfoil hat conspiracy theory]

Wake up, sheeple!!

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

malcom butler will be too expensive and they drafted a cb in the second round last year.  your starting cbs next year will be slay and tabor.  they will add depth corners and take a flyer on a guy who had talent but has not produced, but theyre not going to break the bank for a cb.  that wpuld be too much money tied up at the position when they have a lot of other needs to fill.

the lions may spend a lot on a pass rusher, but not on a cb.

7 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I agree with your disagreement.

Answered by Buddha. Thank you.

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

So what's the consensus on Ansah? Franchise, sign long term or let him walk?  

A or B. With as much cap space as we have there is almost no reason for C.

20 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Wake up, sheeple!!

I know, right?  I mean what's next... we're not going to admit that the NFL is rigged against the Lions?

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

So what's the consensus on Ansah? Franchise, sign long term or let him walk?  

I won't want to sign him long term unless we got him at a low salary, high incentive contract.  I suspect someone out there will give him the long term deal without incentives though, so I don't think we'll get him on that sort of a deal.

I won't be opposed to a tag for one year because we need bodies and because we have a lot of space, but I also wouldn't hate just letting him walk.