MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

Ayers signed and then released withing 2 days. Apparently Quinn was seen yelling into his phone at practice.  Seems related

tenor.gif?itemid=7694184

I'm really curious about the Ayers situation... I wonder if he decided he didn't like the Lions or if he failed the physical or if the Lions found some question activities from the past.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In the absence of information the most likely explanation is a failed physical.

c'mon Biggs, how much more information do you need than that the GM yelled at someone on the phone at some point in the prior 24 hr period?

42 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In the absence of information the most likely explanation is a failed physical.

One of the beat writers stated he had to pass a physical in order to practice. He was a participant in practice one day, then cut the next.

Seems very unlikely that he failed a physical.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Well, then the next most likely scenario is he was unable to perform well at practice.

Apparently none of our crack Detroit sports journalists have been able to find either him or his cell phone number to ask him.....

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Well, then the next most likely scenario is he was unable to perform well at practice.

No, 45 minutes prior Quinn was saying he was looking forward to see what he could do for the team today. Then he wasn't at practice. Also, you wouldn't cut a dude because of one bad practice.

If we are throwing out random guesses, I believe the most likely scenario is Ayers just didn't show up to practice. I am sure Carlos will have an article about how it had something to do with running or something absurd.

qju0wkepy1j11.png

• Like 1

the most encouraging news of the day is that bill simmons guaranteed that the lions would finish under their vegas win total this year, thus guaranteeing the lions will make the playoffs.

The most likely scenario is that the lions decided that they didn’t want him on the team. 

And you absolutely would cut a dude you took a flier on and have zero investment in after one practice if he is clearly a step slower than anyone else.

Couldn't they work him out prior to signing him? If that were the case, why is Quinn ignoring questions? This doesn't reflect well on the Lions if they are in the business of signing players and cutting them after one practice.

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If he didn't show up to practice, then **** him.  Who cares?

That is really my only interest in the story - the question of whether the Lions dumped him or he dumped the Lions, as if it is the latter there might be an entertaining story to it.

15 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And you absolutely would cut a dude you took a flier on and have zero investment in after one practice if he is clearly a step slower than anyone else.

I don't think he ever made it on to the practice field.  I think it's much more likely that he either failed the physical, or the found out something in his past that they worried might look bad if it became public, or he just decided he didn't want to play for the Lions.

If he failed the physical I don't see much of a reason to keep it a secret, but the "Patriot's Way" usually involves given as little information as needed, so maybe Quinn just doesn't want to talk about it.

If they found some skeletons in the closet, then I can completely understand why the Lions aren't talking one bit about it.

If Ayers just decided he didn't want to play for the Lions after all, then I can also understand the Lions not wanting to talk about it, though Ayers might say something like: "After more discussions with them, it just didn't seem like the right fit for me..."

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think he ever made it on to the practice field.

I understand that.  I was addressing the claim a team would never cut a guy after just one practice.

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think he ever made it on to the practice field.  I think it's much more likely that he either failed the physical, or the found out something in his past that they worried might look bad if it became public, or he just decided he didn't want to play for the Lions.

If he failed the physical I don't see much of a reason to keep it a secret, but the "Patriot's Way" usually involves given as little information as needed, so maybe Quinn just doesn't want to talk about it.

If they found some skeletons in the closet, then I can completely understand why the Lions aren't talking one bit about it.

If Ayers just decided he didn't want to play for the Lions after all, then I can also understand the Lions not wanting to talk about it, though Ayers might say something like: "After more discussions with them, it just didn't seem like the right fit for me..."

Yes, you have the results of a physical BEFORE you sign someone, and yes, you work someone out before you sign them, so any physical limitations (a step slow) would be known before signing. He did practice once. This is something else.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think he ever made it on to the practice field.

He practiced, per Birkett. https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/08/28/detroit-lions-robert-ayers-released/1124607002/

Given that Patricia was talking him up before practice #2, it seems likely that Ayers just did not show and was instantly cut. 

Was he just late for practice? Was he insubordinate? Did he decide Detroit was not right for him? Unless he announces his retirement soon, we will probably never know. 

I don’t care how bad you may have looked at one practice, there is little benefit to cutting a guy a day after signing him. Even if he sucks, he’s a warm body, and someone has to play in tonight’s game. 

Whatever happened has to be an off the field issue. Something from his past. Something he did in the locker room. Something he said to a team employee or someone else at Allen Park. 

I doubt the reason remains under wraps. Someone will eventually leak it. It probably won’t look good for Robert Ayers. I doubt whatever it is will look bad for the lions, aside from their brief association with him. 

Maybe they got back the results of a drug test or something. I could see that taking a bit longer to process than the normal physical stuff that may have happened right before he signed. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No. You would have no way of knowing if the dude just didn't get any sleep the night before or was sick or something. There was no corresponding roster move, and the Lions and Ayers refuse to address it. If he was obviously out of shape I don't think the Lion would have signed him after his physical. This was not a normal cut.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Raiders want two first round picks for Khalil Mack. Would you make the trade?

No, because the amount of money Mack wants is too much. So not only would it cost two 1st but also a large portion of the cap.

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

No, because the amount of money Mack wants is too much. So not only would it cost two 1st but also a large portion of the cap.

presumably ansah would be going the other way too.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

presumably ansah would be going the other way too.

I believe Ansah is likely gone as well. He is too injury prone, for the contract someone else will give him. I had hated franchising him this year. While the Lions would have an even weaker D-line, that money could have kept Tate in Detroit or brought in other pieces. That is roughly 17.5 million.