MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Maybe this is a sign something bigger is in the works such as bringing back Suh?

Makes you wonder.   Will need a receiving TE as well. 

Yeah, I mean I can understand that they didn't feel he was worth $8.25M, but... unless you have a replacement setup for much less already, why risk cutting him for "just" 8.25?  It would seem to indicate that they need the money for a big move.

They had cap space with Ebron. While he may not have been worth that number, he was still productive and they still need a pass receiving TE. Something else has to be in the works. 

The guy was and is a bust. He never once had over 4 TD's in a season, never once managed to gain over 750 yards, only once hauled in over 60 receptions. The guy consistently led was near the top of his positions in total drops and droprate. Add onto that he appeared to be cocky and arrogant without the play on the field to back it up.

I know they have Michael Roberts and a bunch of nothing at the position now, but the writing was on the wall for Ebron.

Yeah, I mean I can understand that they didn't feel he was worth $8.25M, but... unless you have a replacement setup for much less already, why risk cutting him for "just" 8.25?  It would seem to indicate that they need the money for a big move.

Yes, this would be a big mistake if Quinn doesn’t have a monster DT on the hook.

Ok, this doesn't make any sense unless they have a grander plan to fill a big need elsewhere. 

Is it just me or did Ebron show a lot of promise towards the end of last season? If they had a contingency plan in place to replace him then I can understand it but I'm not seeing anything on the horizon.  I'm just not a fan of cutting a young player right when he was starting to fulfill his potential.  It's not the end of the world by any means but I'm just trying to figure out the plan.

ebron played a lot better in the second half.  probably not enough to warrant his salary or enough to get any trade interest from other clubs.

Who wants to bet that when Ebron got the call about his release, he dropped the phone?

• Haha 3

They were good with Ebron, but not at that price.  They can find a pass-catching TE for much cheaper than that, one that can block better.  

I like the moves so far.     Still need two defensive linemen, a running back and a offensive guard.    I think they are waiting for a few expected cuts.  

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Ok, this doesn't make any sense unless they have a grander plan to fill a big need elsewhere. 

Is it just me or did Ebron show a lot of promise towards the end of last season? If they had a contingency plan in place to replace him then I can understand it but I'm not seeing anything on the horizon.  I'm just not a fan of cutting a young player right when he was starting to fulfill his potential.  It's not the end of the world by any means but I'm just trying to figure out the plan.

But he's done that before.    It reminds me of Tony Clark of the Tigers.   His end of the year numbers were good but it was all in the second half when the team was out of it    If Ebron had played better in the first half, they're likely a playoff team.   

The best part about saving $8 million from Ebron's salary is that the Lions can now sign more marginal depth players!

We may have average players, but we have LOTS of average players!  Take that NFL, with your star players doing awesome things!

I mean, we can sign EIGHT backup fullbacks for that price!  Who wouldn't make that deal?????

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

The best part about saving $8 million from Ebron's salary is that the Lions can now sign more marginal depth players!

We may have average players, but we have LOTS of average players!  Take that NFL, with your star players doing awesome things!

I mean, we can sign EIGHT backup fullbacks for that price!  Who wouldn't make that deal?????

What was the biggest problem for the Lions last year?    It was depth.   They had a few injuries totally derail their entire season.   They are dealing with that now.   They can get at starting D-Lineman and a starting RB in the draft.    The only other starter they would need to make a serious improvement on is an interior o-lineman.    And besides, their free agency isn't over, they made room with Ebron for a reason...........just because they didn't do a big thing the first day doesn't mean they aren't going to do something big.     Patience, man, patience.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Who wants to bet that when Ebron got the call about his release, he dropped the phone?

I heard they had to call him back because of a dropped call.

Looks like they're going to sign Frank Gore.

It seems like he’s been playing forever but he had almost 1000 yards last year. Wow.

Also, looks like the team is going to let Zenner walk. He’s a decent guy, but I think that’s the right choice.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What was the biggest problem for the Lions last year?    It was depth.   They had a few injuries totally derail their entire season.   They are dealing with that now.   They can get at starting D-Lineman and a starting RB in the draft.    The only other starter they would need to make a serious improvement on is an interior o-lineman.    And besides, their free agency isn't over, they made room with Ebron for a reason...........just because they didn't do a big thing the first day doesn't mean they aren't going to do something big.     Patience, man, patience.   

The biggest problem the Lions had last year was a lack of ability to rush the passer and poor linebacker play.  They've signed some iffy linebackers to replace the iffy linebackers they're letting walk.  They haven't signed anyone to address the lack of a pass rush (or ability to stop the run).  And all the guys they've been talking to have been more iffy depth players.

This team is FULL of iffy depth players.  Depth is not their problem, a lack of playmakers is their problem.

And I realize it's still early and there is plenty of time to sign Suh or Poe.

8 hours ago, PVM4HTORAM said:

I’m actually okish with that

They were always going to sign one veteran and draft one rookie.   I think Zach, Washington and Ameer are all gone.     Keep  Theo & Teon and there you go.   I really wanted Crowell.   3 years at  4 million a year for a 26 year old RB who is vastly underrated would have been a great deal.      Now that the Browns have signed Carlos Hyde and will draft Barkley I would love for the Lions to try and trade for Duke Johnson - that guy is really good, but buried in Cleveland.