MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

On 3/7/2018 at 1:47 PM, MAROTH4MVP said:

Richard Sherman to be cut tomorrow. According to multiple reports. He is coming off a serious injury.

I think he's had two achilles surgeries, right?

The question is not one of sunk cost.
The question is one of future value and team fit.

The question is what is Ebron’s trade value.

Is there a team that thinks he is as valuable as Jarvis Landry, who just got traded for a 2018 4th and a 2019 7th?

Or is there a team who has a steady starter at guard or center but a cheaper option to plug in, and wants a flex TE?

If so, make the move. If not, let Ebron play the year, and hope you get the Ebron whose attitude apparently changed with fatherhood.

5 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

The question is not one of sunk cost.

The question is one of future value and team fit.

If the Lions deem Ebron as not having a future with the team, then they have decided that he is not a team fit. Whether that is from drops, attitude, whatever... Patricia and Quinn have to decide whether Ebron fits the team or not. If they have not yet decided... hold off on a trade. But as they are listening to trade offers, I'm guessing that they've already made that decision. That means, that if they let him walk after the 2018 season, they get either nothing, or whatever compensatory pick if they sign back less value.

So if we are talking now about future value, and I believe we are since the team is talking trade, then what future value can we get from him? A compensatory pick? Would that pick be more value then whatever return they can get in a trade? However diminished that may be?

Like I said, if Quinn gets any kind of decent return for Ebron, I give him props.

It doesn't matter if we have to replace his roster spot with a later round draft pick, or a cheap FA signing; it doesn't matter if it's a sunk cost or not... He either fits this team, or doesn't. And Quinn has to find a way to get max value for him if the team is moving on from Ebron.

We'll see what happens...

I don't like the idea of an org deciding 'guys don't fit' and so moving them - if that ends up being potentially at a loss.  A good org should maximize the function of whatever talent they have - talent is too hard to collect to dump because you don't think it "fits". Ebron today has become a serviceable football player at a position where they are not deep. To me moving him without a good return would be exactly a SOL kinda thing to do. Now of course if someone will give up good value that's a different calculus. 

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

that is a ridiculous amount of money for a broken down richard sherman.

<expletive removed>..I have to agree.  

Insane to give Sherman that money (I know not all guaranteed) coming off the Achilles injury.    Lynch is handing out money.  

Edited by smr-nj
<edited to remove offending expletive>

or not

Good. Never wanted him. Anyway, I’ll be mildly surprised if the Lions don’t end up with Butler.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

DeMarco Murray to meet with the Lions. I am not enthused. 

I am. Good insurance in case the draft doesn't go the Lions way. 

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

I agree with cruzer. We need a poise stopgap RB. I guarantee you we are drafting a RBin the first 3 rounds. There is no show stopping RB available in FA this year. So no RB they bring in will make people happy 

1 hour ago, number20 said:

Ndamukong Suh likely being released by the Dolphins

He is far too good for a podunk town like Detroit.   He's a superstar and he needs the bright lights a superstar deserves.   He must be worshipped.   Have fun playing for the Las Vegas Raiders, Suh,  you're a perfect fit for that.  No way you'll get in any trouble there........no possible way. 

Thanks for posting.

I had a sense that Coach Belichick was playing some macho head game with Butler - one that didn’t pay off. What better way for Patricia (and Quinn) to get out from under Coach B’s shadow than signing a player their mentor cast aside so publicly. It also seemed unorthodox for Patricia to go so over the top in praising Butler after the Super Snub; he clearly seemed to be distancing himself from Coach B’s decision.

If Butler loves Patricia as much as Patricia loves Butler, you know Quinn is going to do all he can to make the reunion happen.

16 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I'd prefer the Lions sign a veteran Murray or Crowell, etc. Then also draft a RB or 2. There are guy taken in the 3rd round that would be in the top three overall backs the past 2 or 3 years. It is a really deep draft and the Lions need to get in on it. 

46 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Thanks for posting.

I had a sense that Coach Belichick was playing some macho head game with Butler - one that didn’t pay off. What better way for Patricia (and Quinn) to get out from under Coach B’s shadow than signing a player their mentor cast aside so publicly. It also seemed unorthodox for Patricia to go so over the top in praising Butler after the Super Snub; he clearly seemed to be distancing himself from Coach B’s decision.

If Butler loves Patricia as much as Patricia loves Butler, you know Quinn is going to do all he can to make the reunion happen.

Pride of Detroit reporting its between Detroit and Houston for Butler's services. 

4 hours ago, number20 said:

He was in Detroit this past weekend but it was for a charity thing. 

Crowell's agent was also spotted having lunch with Lion's staff at the combine.

Johnathan Stewart came in for a visit as well.

I want him back so bad. With him, this would be a very dangerous team.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I want him back so bad. With him, this would be a very dangerous team.

The Dolphins took a $22 million dollar cap hit for him to play elsewhere, reportedly for locker room reasons.

If Patricia is the same guru as Belichick with these things, I'm all in, otherwise, I'm a bit worried.

The Dolphins took a $22 million dollar cap hit for him to play elsewhere, reportedly for locker room reasons.

If Patricia is the same guru as Belichick with these things, I'm all in, otherwise, I'm a bit worried.

We had him here before, and had the best team defense, and overall team performance, in a generation. I would take my chances. But I’m not sure we have the dollars to meet his expectations.