MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

9 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Not correct. Trasition tagged

Yep, it is a transition tag. My mistake.

Bears can match offers but do not get compensation of two 1st if he leaves.

ALLEN PARK -- With questions swirling about whether the Lions would go through with the $8 million option for Eric Ebron in 2018, GM Bob Quinn said the tight end would remain under contract. He re-affirmed that position last week at the combine too.

The Lions don't want to cut their former first-round pick.

But they're also apparently open to moving him.

ESPN is reporting Detroit entertained trade discussions -- plural -- for Ebron during the NFL combine. This is at least the second time in four months they've mulled whether to move the former first-round pick.

Ebron has improved in his four years with Detroit, but was mired in a deep funk to open last season. Through seven games, he had just 15 catches (on 32 targets) for 160 yards and one touchdown. He was also dropping the ball 16.7 percent of the time, which led all tight ends according to ProFootballFocus.

So Now, though, it seems his return isn't so certain after allI the Lions do part with Ebron, they'll have a major void to fill in the passing game. Michael Roberts caught a lot of footballs in college, but he's bigger than Ebron and can't run the same kinds of routes. Hakeem Valles is the only other tight end under contract. And they combine for four career catches.

Darren Fells, the No. 1 blocking tight end last year, can become a free agent next week.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/03/the_lions_are_listening_to_tra.html

Not free agency, but if he is traded they will have a need at TE.

ALLEN PARK -- With questions swirling about whether the Lions would go through with the $8 million option for Eric Ebron in 2018, GM Bob Quinn said the tight end would remain under contract. He re-affirmed that position last week at the combine too.

The Lions don't want to cut their former first-round pick.

But they're also apparently open to moving him.

ESPN is reporting Detroit entertained trade discussions -- plural -- for Ebron during the NFL combine. This is at least the second time in four months they've mulled whether to move the former first-round pick.

Ebron has improved in his four years with Detroit, but was mired in a deep funk to open last season. Through seven games, he had just 15 catches (on 32 targets) for 160 yards and one touchdown. He was also dropping the ball 16.7 percent of the time, which led all tight ends according to ProFootballFocus.

So Now, though, it seems his return isn't so certain after allI the Lions do part with Ebron, they'll have a major void to fill in the passing game. Michael Roberts caught a lot of footballs in college, but he's bigger than Ebron and can't run the same kinds of routes. Hakeem Valles is the only other tight end under contract. And they combine for four career catches.

Darren Fells, the No. 1 blocking tight end last year, can become a free agent next week.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/03/the_lions_are_listening_to_tra.html

Not free agency, but if he is traded they will have a need at TE.

Was just thinking about this article.

My first thought is that the Saints trade of Jimmy Graham brought them a starting OL, plus a first round pick (for a fourth). Ebron is no Jimmy Graham, but if the Lions could trade Ebron away and solidify their situation at LG or C, assuming Swanson is not brought back, that would be a plus.

My second thought is that Jimmy Graham is UFA. If Quinn can ship out Ebron for a starter and then sign the player Ebron was supposed to turn into, I’ll forget all of the doubts I’ve ever had about Quinn.

Anyone willing to trade anything more than a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick for a Tight End who has never had a 1,000 yard, double digit TD season receiving and has hands like candy bars is stupid. Who knows, maybe Quinn can find a GM dumb enough to do it.

On another note, all signs point to Minnesota going hard after Kirk Cousins. I couldn’t be more in favor of them bringing in an expensive mediocrity at QB, to lose close games in the 4th quarter and to upset the Keenum camp and the Bridgewater brigade in the locker room.

Spielman, who has been the best GM in the division by far, seems about ready to outsmart himself.

44 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

On another note, all signs point to Minnesota going hard after Kirk Cousins. I couldn’t be more in favor of them bringing in an expensive mediocrity at QB, to lose close games in the 4th quarter and to upset the Keenum camp and the Bridgewater brigade in the locker room.

Spielman, who has been the best GM in the division by far, seems about ready to outsmart himself.

In Rick Spielman's defense Case Keenum is likely a one-hit wonder who is going to be without the OC that made him shine this past season in Pat Shurmer. Teddy Bridgewater may never be the same again either, so I am guessing that Spielman feels he can't bank on him. I would expect them to trade Keenum and Bridgewater and get a handful of draft picks for them.

Besides, it isn't as if another team in Spielman's division didn't just overpay for a QB whose never won a playoff game and has an abysmal record against teams with a decent or better defense.

In Rick Spielman's defense Case Keenum is likely a one-hit wonder who is going to be without the OC that made him shine this past season in Pat Shurmer. Teddy Bridgewater may never be the same again either, so I am guessing that Spielman feels he can't bank on him. I would expect them to trade Keenum and Bridgewater and get a handful of draft picks for them.
Besides, it isn't as if another team in Spielman's division didn't just overpay for a QB whose never won a playoff game and has an abysmal record against teams with a decent or better defense.

It’s obvious why Spielman is doing it. Bad reasons don’t make it any less of a mistake.

It seems you think giving Stafford $60 million guaranteed was also a mistake. Maybe it was. But even if it was, Stafford already had a track record of high performance in late game situations. And that “mistake” pales in comparison to the mistake of committing what many are suggesting might be $75 million or more guaranteed (ahead of Garoppolo’s $74 million) to the very pedestrian Kirk Cousins.

As a Lions fan, I’m all for the Vikings signing Cousins.

It isn't that I view it as a mistake. It is more that I don't view Stafford as being leaps and bounds better than Cousins, at least when you go back and look at their stat sheets from 2015 through 2017. So I don't view the Vikings paying Cousins any worse or better than us paying Stafford.

It isn't that I view it as a mistake. It is more that I don't view Stafford as being leaps and bounds better than Cousins, at least when you go back and look at their stat sheets from 2015 through 2017. So I don't view the Vikings paying Cousins any worse or better than us paying Stafford.

Almost every Sunday for the past three seasons I’ve watched Stafford singlehandedly bring the Lions back in the fourth quarter. Almost every Sunday for the past three seasons I’ve watched Cousins choke late. You can have him. Especially if you’re getting him for $75 million guaranteed and I can have Stafford for 20% cheaper.

Richard Sherman to be cut tomorrow. According to multiple reports. He is coming off a serious injury.

The Chiefs will trade quarterback Alex Smith to Washington, for cornerback Kendall Fuller and a third-round pick in 2018.  The Chiefs also will trade cornerback Marcus Peters to the Rams for a fourth-round pick in 2018 and a second-round pick in 2019.

The Rams will send defensive lineman Robert Quinn and a sixth-round pick to the Dolphins for a fourth-round pick and a sixth-round pick. The Rams also will trade linebacker Alec Ogletree and a seventh-round pick to the Giants for a fourth-round pick and a sixth-round pick.

The Seahawks will trade defensive end Michael Bennett and a seventh-round pick to the Eagles for receiver Marcus Johnson and a fifth-round pick.

The Broncos will trade cornerback Aqib Talib to the Rams for a fifth-round pick.

And who knows what other trades will be negotiated over the next six days?

In theory, any, some, or all of the trades can fall apart before Wednesday. There’s no reason to think that will happen.

Then again, there was no reason to think Josh McDaniels wouldn’t become the head coach of the Colts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/08/six-handshake-deals-and-counting-with-six-days-to-go/

On 3/6/2018 at 10:51 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Anyone willing to trade anything more than a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick for a Tight End who has never had a 1,000 yard, double digit TD season receiving and has hands like candy bars is stupid. Who knows, maybe Quinn can find a GM dumb enough to do it.

There are a lot of stupid trade rumors out there. I'd speculate if a deal is done for Ebron and I highly doubt it, it would be Ebron + 2nd rounder for later mid to late 1st round pick or something along those lines.

Ebron will not net the Lions a second round pick. That is overvaluing him.

To me this is Quinn, who simply wants to have all 7 draft picks. Remember the Lions traded a 6th round pick last year to the Rams for Greg Robinson.

If he coaxes a 3rd rounder for Ebron I'm giving Quinn major props.

A functional Guard and a 3rd or 4th and he gets a Gold Star (the kind you can lick and stick on his forehead...).

10 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

If he coaxes a 3rd rounder for Ebron I'm giving Quinn major props.

A functional Guard and a 3rd or 4th and he gets a Gold Star (the kind you can lick and stick on his forehead...).

They would then need to draft another TE.  I like this class, but they aren't getting that good of a pick for Ebron.  His value goes down because of the contract.

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

They would then need to draft another TE.  I like this class, but they aren't getting that good of a pick for Ebron.  His value goes down because of the contract.

yeah - if the object is to get better, it's hard to see what you get out of moving Ebron at this point - who is at least now serviceable. The fact that he may never be good enough to have justified his pick is a sunk cost. The fans may never love him but that is not one of Quinn's problems (well I suppose the later is true to the degree Patricia can make him keep his mouth shut)

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

frees up 8.2 million in cap space.  and ebron isnt likely to be here after next season.  

if they think golladay has improved, there isnt a ton of room for ebron to get a lot of touches in the offense.  makes his 8.2 million cap hit hard to swallow for his production level.

is it a better use of resources to have ebron at 8.2 million or to sign the top interior lineman for 8 million and then get a useful but limited tight end to fill the position?

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - if the object is to get better, it's hard to see what you get out of moving Ebron at this point - who is at least now serviceable. The fact that he may never be good enough to have justified his pick is a sunk cost. The fans may never love him but that is not one of Quinn's problems (well I suppose the later is true to the degree Patricia can make him keep his mouth shut)

The question is not one of sunk cost.

The question is one of future value and team fit.

If the Lions deem Ebron as not having a future with the team, then they have decided that he is not a team fit. Whether that is from drops, attitude, whatever... Patricia and Quinn have to decide whether Ebron fits the team or not. If they have not yet decided... hold off on a trade. But as they are listening to trade offers, I'm guessing that they've already made that decision. That means, that if they let him walk after the 2018 season, they get either nothing, or whatever compensatory pick if they sign back less value.

So if we are talking now about future value, and I believe we are since the team is talking trade, then what future value can we get from him? A compensatory pick? Would that pick be more value then whatever return they can get in a trade? However diminished that may be?

Like I said, if Quinn gets any kind of decent return for Ebron, I give him props.

It doesn't matter if we have to replace his roster spot with a later round draft pick, or a cheap FA signing; it doesn't matter if it's a sunk cost or not... He either fits this team, or doesn't. And Quinn has to find a way to get max value for him if the team is moving on from Ebron.

We'll see what happens...

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

frees up 8.2 million in cap space.  and ebron isnt likely to be here after next season.  

if they think golladay has improved, there isnt a ton of room for ebron to get a lot of touches in the offense.  makes his 8.2 million cap hit hard to swallow for his production level.

is it a better use of resources to have ebron at 8.2 million or to sign the top interior lineman for 8 million and then get a useful but limited tight end to fill the position?

Plus this.

I'd rather take Ebron's $8 mill and spend it elsewhere.

Golladay's impact and near duplication of Ebron's skillset (size mismatch, speed & athleticism) is an excellent point too...

43 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Finally! Math became useful in my life