MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

On 2/2/2018 at 1:14 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Carlos Monarrez has proposed trading Stafford for Brady. Not just Stafford but a 1st and 2nd round pick along with Glover Quinn.

I've stopped reading anything Monarrez.  It seems pretty clear to me that he's going for shock value to get clicks rather than having any decently formed, logical opinion.

Honestly, I'm surprised he's advocating for Brady rather than just dump Stafford for whatever we can get and go after Foles given that Foles clearly is a better QB than Stafford.

21 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Apparently there's some buzz that Butler and Poe are our top two targets. 

Poe or Sheldon Richardson were my top two targets at the DT postion. Da'Quan Jones from the Titans is another one I would consider at DT. We need a monster run stuffer and any one of Richardson, Poe or Jones would provide that for us.

Nigel Bradham, if the Eagles don't resign him, would be my top target overall on defense at the OLB spot. We need linebackers who can cover, tackle, play three downs and not suck. I expect him to be resigned by Philly, but I would be pretty aggressive going after him were I Bob Quinn.

Without knowing what type of deal Ziggy Ansash will command it is hard for me to say “let the guy walk” at this point in time. With that said, if he does leave, I am all for drafting his replacement and bringing in one of Kony Ealy or Dion Jordan as nice supplemental pass rushers at DE.

I'm torn on going after Malcom Butler and have no idea whether or not Matt Patricia would want to bring him in. Assuming Patrica does want Butler he will likely come at a high price. I think the Lions could use another starting corner opposite Slay, but an improved front 7 would go a long way in helping our secondary play out. If the Lions are looking for an impact corner I would expect EJ Gaines from Buffalo to get a look too. I'm leaning towards making a depth signing at corner or picking someone up in rounds 4-7 and making splash singing elsewhere.

On offense I wouldn't mind Quinn making a run at Jeremy Hill. Hill, while having a down season last year, has been a capable back in the past and could give us a short yardage, north-south running back. I don't expect (nor do we need) him to be a 1,000 yard rusher anymore. I'd be bringing him in for short yardage and goal-line situations.

We have $44,744,205  in cap space according to Over The Cap so we can afford to be big, but smart spenders.

I think free agent signings of . . .

RB: Jeremy Hill

DT: Dontari Poe or Sheldon Richardson

DE: Dion Jordan or Kony Ealy

OLB: Nigel Bradham

. . . would make for a heckuva free agent season.

if they move to a 3-4 hyrbid is there a place for ziggy on the team?  can he be a rush linebacker?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

if they move to a 3-4 hyrbid is there a place for ziggy on the team?  can he be a rush linebacker?

I believe he stood up some as OLB at BYU, can't recall how often though.

On 2/7/2018 at 2:18 PM, drownwithyou said:

I believe he stood up some as OLB at BYU, can't recall how often though.

Not sure if that is a risk I'd be willing to take at the price tag he will likely command.

The Bears have three CB's entering free agency in Bryce Callahan, Prince Amukamara, and Kyle Fuller. Doubt they can retain all three (Callahan is restricted), but none would break the bank and any of the three would be a good option across from Slay, especially if we don't grab one early in the draft.

Prince is a good corner but fails to stay healthy. I'd love to get Fuller but I am thinking he is one of the two that the Bears resign.

Reuben Foster has been arrested for the 2nd time in a month. It was debated whether the Lions should have taken Foster over Davis. Foster had the better season on the field, but these look like some serious charges. Possibly enough to get him suspended. 

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- For the second time in less than a month, San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster has been arrested.

The Los Gatos-Monte Sereno police confirmed Sunday night that Foster was arrested earlier in the day on charges related to domestic violence, threats and possession of an assault weapon.

Police responded to a disturbance call placed at approximately 9:15 a.m. Sunday at a Los Gatos residence. Upon arrival, officers spoke to Foster and the alleged victim. The result of the initial investigation was to arrest Foster, 23.

Foster was then transported and booked at the Santa Clara County Main Jail, where he was held on $75,000 bail. He was released on bail Sunday night. The Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police said the incident remains under investigation.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22403883/reuben-foster-san-francisco-49ers-arrested-again-bail-set-75000

On 2/9/2018 at 1:29 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

The Bears have three CB's entering free agency in Bryce Callahan, Prince Amukamara, and Kyle Fuller. Doubt they can retain all three (Callahan is restricted), but none would break the bank and any of the three would be a good option across from Slay, especially if we don't grab one early in the draft.

fuller will cost a lot.  he was really good last year.  i doubt the bears let him go.

amukamara is a dime a dozen cb but probably an upgrade on lawson.

i dont think the lions are going to spend much money on a cb.  they have slay.  they have tabor (for whatever thats worth).  they have other glaring needs.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

fuller will cost a lot.  he was really good last year.  i doubt the bears let him go.

i dont think the lions are going to spend much money on a cb.  they have slay.  they have tabor (for whatever thats worth).  they have other glaring needs.

Agreed. I don't see the lions targeting a CB. Its realistically a position of strength at the top with slay, and serviceable throughout. They need pass rushers badly. I would expect to see pass rushers be the focus. 

Just to stir the pot, if the cowboys cut Dez (like barnwell suggested), I wouldn't be upset if the lions brought him here. Even though WR is no where near a position of need. However, I have to believe they realize the issue is their QB can't throw, not that Dez suddenly sucks at 29. I would give this about a 0% chance of actually happening though.

1 hour ago, hardyaf said:

Agreed. I don't see the lions targeting a CB. Its realistically a position of strength at the top with slay, and serviceable throughout. They need pass rushers badly. I would expect to see pass rushers be the focus. 

Just to stir the pot, if the cowboys cut Dez (like barnwell suggested), I wouldn't be upset if the lions brought him here. Even though WR is no where near a position of need. However, I have to believe they realize the issue is their QB can't throw, not that Dez suddenly sucks at 29. I would give this about a 0% chance of actually happening though.

At least if Dez Bryant was brought in we wouldn't have to worry about our offense getting unsportsmanlike penalties. Dez Bryant is one of the chosen few allowed to run on the field of play, without a helmet on, scream at an official, and not get a flag thrown. So that's good news.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:42 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Reuben Foster has been arrested for the 2nd time in a month. It was debated whether the Lions should have taken Foster over Davis. Foster had the better season on the field, but these look like some serious charges. Possibly enough to get him suspended. 

This does not look good for Foster. He is running out of chances.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I don't hate Fuller but he isn't the most consistent player in the world. I don't think he is a huge upgrade over Lawson.

44 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I don't hate Fuller but he isn't the most consistent player in the world. I don't think he is a huge upgrade over Lawson.

i think he was much better than lawson this year.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think he was much better than lawson this year.

Me too. I'd be ok targeting Fuller. I've come around on him. Him and Slay were 3rd and 1st respectively in passes defensed this year. Keep adding playmakers to that secondary.

Teez must start this year. They need either a nickel or strong safety. Might draft a depth guy. I don't like to sign corners on the market. Too pricey.

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

. I don't like to sign corners on the market. Too pricey.

and usually over the hill.

21 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

At least if Dez Bryant was brought in we wouldn't have to worry about our offense getting unsportsmanlike penalties. Dez Bryant is one of the chosen few allowed to run on the field of play, without a helmet on, scream at an official, and not get a flag thrown. So that's good news.

Speaking of that thing, I read an article maybe a couple months ago that recounted those events, and apparently the flag that was thrown was picked up almost immediately. The refs announced it but it wasn’t picked up by the tv, so it appeared that the flag was only picked up after the replays and complaining, but I guess that wasn’t the case. 

On 2/8/2018 at 3:10 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Now it is ok for Stafford to struggle.

At the very least, we should only expect him to be able to perform as the second highest paid QB instead of the highest paid.  No more of these unrealistic expectation of being better than eveeyone else.

i think they have to franchise ziggy.  they really have nothing without him and there arent any options on the market if dallas franchises lawrence.  

then they have to draft a pass rusher (or 2).  either at rush linebacker or end or even dt.

39 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think they have to franchise ziggy.  they really have nothing without him and there arent any options on the market if dallas franchises lawrence.  

then they have to draft a pass rusher (or 2).  either at rush linebacker or end or even dt.

No faith in Kerry Hyder?