MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/platform/amp/2018/11/13/18092292/detroit-lions-2018-free-agent-class-recap-complete-failure?utm_campaign=prideofdetroit&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

what? you mean this free agent class of has beens and never beens was a failure?  who could have forseen that the lions just spent a bunch of money on **** players?  who i ask you, who?

oh yeah, everyone except nastro.  miss ya nastro.  ;)

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Lol Bears don't even have a proven QB but Khalil Mack makes them better than the Lions. 

Lots of things make the Bears better than the Lions.  Dontcha think?

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

I guess Patricia is either really, really confident he can cover lack of talent with scheme, or he is just another dumb jock who had the good fortune to end up working for someone a lot smarter than he is. 😔

I'm pretty sure we have our answer.

Although you can probably replace Patricia with Quinn and come up with the same response.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Nastradamus said:

Another nerdy note on "the Patriot way" and both Quinn and Patricia's MOs. 

As we've seen with Patricia's D and even discussed on this board a bit, Patricia's defenses are often ranked rather poorly in yards allowed, but very highly in points allowed, much of this resting on the strength of his red zone defenses. This is of course, by design. 

One thing you'll notice with the guys we sign is not a lot of speed and length in the middle of the field. Not a complete absence, but its not a huge priority. This is because they're willing to let a Christian Jones, Tavon Wilson, Kilebrew or Davis get beat up a bit in coverage between the 20s. In a shortened area however, you can hide that deficiency pretty well with scheming(and also  guys like Davis and Kilebrew especially have poor long speed, but very strong short area quickness). The bigger priority becomes not allowing YAC and not allowing the run up the gut, both of which their players are tailor made for due to their size, physicality coming forward and efficient tackling. 

On the flip side, this is the main reason you see no more Ebron. They know that they may not replace his ability to help them move the ball between the 20s, but they also knew that teams too easily took him away or took advantage of his blocking when things mattered most, such as in the RZ. On the flip side, the 3 guys we got are all much better players as both blockers and receivers in the RZ. 

Third downs of course are the other situational priority. Here you can't hide the deficiencies as much, but that's why they went depth and versatility over one stud. On third downs they now have a ridiculous amount of different packages they can go to. They can go nickel with Diggs in the slot, nickel with Lawson in the slot, dime with Lawson and Shead, 3 and 4 safety looks with a mixture of box(Wilson/Killer) and coverage(Quin,Diggs,Shead) guys. You can drop into 3-4 with Kennard and Ansah as your OLBs, you can go small at LB on third downs with JRM and Killer. You have 5 edges you believe to be at least functional so they'll generate pass rush by lining up 3 ends across the line on clear passing downs, etc. I think the flexibility of this defense, especially given the mind running it, is severely underrated. 

Yah, yah, I'm a Lions slappy and all our players suck...

Nothing about this was right.

Detroit's defense is ranked:

Per DVOA: 29th in the league.

Patricia's defense is ranked 14th in yards allowed, but 26th in points allowed.  And 22nd in red zone TDs allowed.  So not only was the defense ranked poorly in points allowed, it was terrible in the red zone.  Exactly the opposite of what it was allegedly supposed to do.

Eric Ebron leads all tight ends with 12 TDs this year.  Most of which came...in the red zone.

If it's one thing this season shows it is not that Patricia's defenses have flexibility.  It's that they don't have enough talent.  Which is why signing a bunch of bums off the scrap heap and calling it depth was a poor choice.  The only thing I can see is if Quinn knew the team really didn't have a chance so he wasn't going to bust the cap or give up draft picks in order to sign good players.  He knew they weren't going to contend and needed at least one more stellar draft before signing a stud defensive player here and there to take them to be a good defense.  But by doing the scrap heap thing, they also completely decimated the offense.  Nice job, Bob!  Hey, can we take Ebron's money and sign a four more tight end's off other people's practice squads?  

That's about the only excuse I can think of for this offseason.

That said...I doubt that was his thinking.  I have a completely unsubstantiated opinion that they think they're the smartest guys in the room.  You know, they come from New England and they know all about this "football" thing and they'll show everyone.  

Welp.  They'll probably win 7 games and say they really showed heart and toughness down the stretch competing and they'll come back next year and show us all how it's really done.  Maybe even practice indoors?

On 9/1/2018 at 9:25 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Lol Bears don't even have a proven QB but Khalil Mack makes them better than the Lions. 

congratulations to the 2018 nfc north division champ chicago bears!  its their first division championship since 2010.  what a long time to wait.  i cant imagine waiting that long between nfc north championships.  good thing i dont have to considering the lions have never won an nfc north championship.

the most pathetic organization in the nfl finishes yet another pathetic season.

16 minutes ago, Buddha said:

congratulations to the 2018 nfc north division champ chicago bears!  its their first division championship since 2010.  what a long time to wait.  i cant imagine waiting that long between nfc north championships.  good thing i dont have to considering the lions have never won an nfc north championship.

the most pathetic organization in the nfl finishes yet another pathetic season.

I’m curious to see how far the Bears get. They gave up a lot of cash and draft picks for Trubisky and Mack (and Miller I guess). Seems to have paid off so far, but if they’re still a player or two away they won’t have much to work with for a while. They have no 1st or 2nd round picks in '19, and their record will push them way down the 3rd round board. And eventually they’re going to have to break the bank for Trubisky. If they get to the big dance though, it'll have been worth it

1 hour ago, number20 said:

I’m curious to see how far the Bears get. They gave up a lot of cash and draft picks for Trubisky and Mack (and Miller I guess). Seems to have paid off so far, but if they’re still a player or two away they won’t have much to work with for a while. They have no 1st or 2nd round picks in '19, and their record will push them way down the 3rd round board. And eventually they’re going to have to break the bank for Trubisky. If they get to the big dance though, it'll have been worth it

they have oakland's second round pick next year, which is almost a first rounder.

the bears are young and talented on defense.  they're going to be good for a while if trubisky can become merely competent.

the bears have been rebuilding for 4 years now.  they have some pieces.