Jump to content

MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

With the entire roster it is $2,068,788

$6,225,494 with projected draft pool and top 51

 

 

I don't know how much they saved yesterday with the reworked contract and then trade. I suppose there is more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't know how much they saved yesterday with the reworked contract and then trade. I suppose there is more to come.

2.25 according to a Lion's beat writer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 8:51 AM, cruzer1 said:

I don't know how much they saved yesterday with the reworked contract and then trade. I suppose there is more to come.

Detroit Lions have some space

 

Carryover- $4,151,311

Team Cap- $169,651,357

Cap room $11,626,709

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions will not sign someone until after Wednesday as it could effect compensatory picks. Lions are rumored to be getting 6th rounder.

Alan Branch, Ricky Jean- Francois are guys the Lions are interested in according to reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

The Lions will not sign someone until after Wednesday as it could effect compensatory picks. Lions are rumored to be getting 6th rounder.

Alan Branch, Ricky Jean- Francois are guys the Lions are interested in according to reports.

Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

The Lions will not sign someone until after Wednesday as it could effect compensatory picks. Lions are rumored to be getting 6th rounder.

Alan Branch, Ricky Jean- Francois are guys the Lions are interested in according to reports.

Disappointing in my eyes if they aren't in on Johnathan Hankins. Before training camp cuts come, he is the best defensive line player on the market IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Disappointing in my eyes if they aren't in on Johnathan Hankins. Before training camp cuts come, he is the best defensive line player on the market IMO.

The Lions have met with Hankins. I heard he is asking for 11 million per year. That is why he is still a free agent. No one is willing to pay that. So either he lowers his demands or he remains a free agent. 

Quinn likes to play with the bottom of the roster in season. So the Lions will want some cap space going into the season. It is also nice to have some carryover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pride of Detroit: TJ Lang Makes NFL All Penalties Team

After rarely being penalized in Green Bay Lang comes off last season being one of the most penalized lineman in the league. Is it the fact that he played under Ron Price's scheme? The fact that he had better linemates to play alongside in Green Bay? SOL because he traded green and yellow for Honolulu blue and silver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ziggy Ansah on the PUP list already?  No WAY!  That guy is never hurt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking the other day with all the predictions coming out..... when was the last time the Lions were predicted to be on the short list of contenders going into a season? 

I've been a fan since the late 80s and can't remember one time when the Lions had any real hype coming into a season. In that timespan, it seems that every franchise has had at least one season when there was at least the outside chance of realistically making a Superbowl run.  Even the Browns had some legit teams in the mid to late 80s. The Lions had some good teams in the '90s and then 2011 but they were never more than a fringe playoff team without any huge upside to be a future contender.

It just reminded me about how unenthused I am going into another season. It would be nice to have one season where there's a glimmer of hope for a Superbowl run.  Going on 30 years as a fan and still waiting.....    It'll probably happen the year after I die, I'm convinced of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions are OK, but I have to think part of the hype is due to the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons being turrible and Detroit fans pinning their hopes on the one franchise that isn't in a rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

The Lions are OK, but I have to think part of the hype is due to the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons being turrible and Detroit fans pinning their hopes on the one franchise that isn't in a rebuild.

There is no hype, the Lions are about as irrelevant as it gets in the football landscape.  Kind of like the Pistons in that respect except that there is some intrigue with the Jackson, Griffin, Drummond trio to see how it meshes. 

With the Lions, it's just a lot of meh.  I think folks have given up on the idea that Stafford can be an elite QB that can potentially carry them to a Superbowl one day so outside of the new coaching staff, there's not really anything to get excited about. I'm a hopeless diehard so I'll be glued to the screen when they are playing but I have zero expectations which is par for the course as a Lions fan.

@Mr. Bigglesworth  I don't remember much hype going into the '92 season. I don't think that Lions team was ever considered a real contender but my memory could be off on that one.  I remember more hype in the mid 90s after Mitchell and their quartet of receivers exploded onto the scene but even that team wasn't considered a legit contender, just more exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NYLion said:

There is no hype, the Lions are about as irrelevant as it gets in the football landscape.  Kind of like the Pistons in that respect except that there is some intrigue with the Jackson, Griffin, Drummond trio to see how it meshes. 

With the Lions, it's just a lot of meh.  I think folks have given up on the idea that Stafford can be an elite QB that can potentially carry them to a Superbowl one day so outside of the new coaching staff, there's not really anything to get excited about. I'm a hopeless diehard so I'll be glued to the screen when they are playing but I have zero expectations which is par for the course as a Lions fan.

@Mr. Bigglesworth  I don't remember much hype going into the '92 season. I don't think that Lions team was ever considered a real contender but my memory could be off on that one.  I remember more hype in the mid 90s after Mitchell and their quartet of receivers exploded onto the scene but even that team wasn't considered a legit contender, just more exciting.

i'm a huge lions pessimist, but i have not given up on the idea of matt stafford being an elite qb and leading them to the super bowl.

i think stafford already is an elite qb (depending upon your definition...i'd say he's definitely top 10 in the league) and that with some luck the lions could be a contender this year.

i think they are a mediocre team with a potentially great offense and a talent-less defense.  if they can get enough turnovers on defense they can outscore people, imo.

as to your other question, the last time the lions had hype was the early 90s and barry sanders.  and they were a legit contender in 2014 who got ****** by the refs in dallas.  they were a better team than dallas that day and should have won.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i'm a huge lions pessimist, but i have not given up on the idea of matt stafford being an elite qb and leading them to the super bowl.

i think stafford already is an elite qb (depending upon your definition...i'd say he's definitely top 10 in the league) and that with some luck the lions could be a contender this year.

i think they are a mediocre team with a potentially great offense and a talent-less defense.  if they can get enough turnovers on defense they can outscore people, imo.

as to your other question, the last time the lions had hype was the early 90s and barry sanders.  and they were a legit contender in 2014 who got ****** by the refs in dallas.  they were a better team than dallas that day and should have won.  

I've always been a Stafford fan but he needs help.  He can't carry a team like the top tier QBs (by top tier, I mean Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Big Ben) and I don't think he's consistent enough to ever get to that level.  He's more like a Matt Ryan type, very good QB but he needs a really good support cast to get to the next level.

By hype, I mean going into a season.  The '14 team turned out to be very good and probably the best Lions team of my lifetime but once they lost Suh, it was back to the drawing board with the defense. 

I don't think the team is a complete lost cause but they are miles away from legit contention as currently constituted IMO.  That could change of course as young guys grow into their roles but as of now, it's a roster littered with question marks particularly on the defensive side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering aside from one season he has never had a great defense, never had a running game, never had a good offensive line and has suspect coaching at best throughout his tenure and despite that they have had several winning seasons. That should show that he can carry the team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I've always been a Stafford fan but he needs help.  He can't carry a team like the top tier QBs (by top tier, I mean Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Big Ben) and I don't think he's consistent enough to ever get to that level.  He's more like a Matt Ryan type, very good QB but he needs a really good support cast to get to the next level.

By hype, I mean going into a season.  The '14 team turned out to be very good and probably the best Lions team of my lifetime but once they lost Suh, it was back to the drawing board with the defense. 

I don't think the team is a complete lost cause but they are miles away from legit contention as currently constituted IMO.  That could change of course as young guys grow into their roles but as of now, it's a roster littered with question marks particularly on the defensive side.

i agree that they have a ton of question marks on defense.  but i also think most teams have question mark areas.  there are no great teams out there.

the lions are not a super bowl favorite by any means.  theyre not even the favorites in the division.  but i give them a puncher's chance with stafford.

and i dont think the lions will ever get hype until they win something.  they are an irrelevant franchise blessed with one of the greatest players of all time.  but thats it.

sigh.  i really hope they do something this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Rothelisberger is carrying a team that features Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell? Pittsburgh historically has always had great defenses. The Saints until last year had a string of mediocrity. I also don't feel like we have seen the best of Stafford yet. Matt Ryan was 31 when he went off on his MVP season and led the Falcons to the Super Bowl. Stafford is capable of having that type of season. He has the physical talent and I believe he has the mental makeup to continue to improve. Eli Manning won two Super Bowls and I'm not sure the Giants were widely hyped going into those seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what to expect from this season.   I think Matt Patricia's philosophy is to have depth of good and versatile players rather than a couple of big stars to work the system around.  At least it is on defense.    They may not have gotten a star linebacker or lineman, but they sure bolstered the depth of both groups.   I think the philosophy is have more guys in and out during the game and fresher legs later.   

I don't know if Patricia is a genius or a goofball yet.  We won't know for awhile.    I think Caldwell was a great Monday-Saturday head coach who made baffling decisions on Sundays.   The last two years they should have probably won at least  1, if not 2 more games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions pretty much overachieved their expected win-loss predictions every year under Caldwell. They won a lot of games that they were losing late that they probably shouldn't have won. I just don't see how this team was a perennial 10-11 win team with the glaring holes they had each year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically they didn't beat themselves under Caldwell.

With Stafford QBing the team, that was enough to be right at 0.500 or a little better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions pretty much overachieved their expected win-loss predictions every year under Caldwell. They won a lot of games that they were losing late that they probably shouldn't have won. I just don't see how this team was a perennial 10-11 win team with the glaring holes they had each year. 

because they have a qb capable of winning close games.

their best team was 2014 when they had a defense with stars on it.  they havent had a team capable of contending since then, they just have a very good qb who can win close games for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't care less whether the team has hype going into a season. I really don't think teams over/underachieve that often, especially in the NFL. Injuries aside, they usually get what they deserve. Whether someone else sees that ahead of time is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go make a trade for Aaron Donald.  If it costs you a first or a couple of firsts, then do it.  He's certainly worth it and he's not exactly old.   Trade for him and sign him long term.  If you have to cut a couple guys to fit him in, then do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×