MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

I would probably be upset, too, if Quinn signed Sylvester Williams for 3/$16.5. But he got Williams for 1/$3.5.

Barring injury, worst case is that he adds bulk to the middle of the line. Best case is that he flourishes in Patricia’s scheme and plays his heart out for one more big multi-year contract.

• Like 1

Best case is that Vea somehow falls to us at 20 (or we trade up to get him somehow... both very unlikely but, like I said: best case); and he's not forced to start every game or play every defensive snap as Williams can soak up what the team needs him to while Vea gets up to NFL speed...

Cooter has worked with him before in 2012 in KC. Cooter was a offensive quality coach there.

That’s good. I don’t think it is a bad move, by any means, and I like having an experienced backup to challenge the young backup.

Still, it is hard not to notice that Quinn and Patricia’s strategy is a little like the Blues Brothers: “We’re getting the band back together.”

On the player side, what happens when they run out of players that have already been in their system?

On the coaching side, what happens if one of Patricia’s Syracuse crew isn’t cutting it?

Anyway, it’s too early to be worried about these possibilities. But they are the soft spots I see so far.

Another nerdy note on "the Patriot way" and both Quinn and Patricia's MOs. 

As we've seen with Patricia's D and even discussed on this board a bit, Patricia's defenses are often ranked rather poorly in yards allowed, but very highly in points allowed, much of this resting on the strength of his red zone defenses. This is of course, by design. 

One thing you'll notice with the guys we sign is not a lot of speed and length in the middle of the field. Not a complete absence, but its not a huge priority. This is because they're willing to let a Christian Jones, Tavon Wilson, Kilebrew or Davis get beat up a bit in coverage between the 20s. In a shortened area however, you can hide that deficiency pretty well with scheming(and also  guys like Davis and Kilebrew especially have poor long speed, but very strong short area quickness). The bigger priority becomes not allowing YAC and not allowing the run up the gut, both of which their players are tailor made for due to their size, physicality coming forward and efficient tackling. 

On the flip side, this is the main reason you see no more Ebron. They know that they may not replace his ability to help them move the ball between the 20s, but they also knew that teams too easily took him away or took advantage of his blocking when things mattered most, such as in the RZ. On the flip side, the 3 guys we got are all much better players as both blockers and receivers in the RZ. 

Third downs of course are the other situational priority. Here you can't hide the deficiencies as much, but that's why they went depth and versatility over one stud. On third downs they now have a ridiculous amount of different packages they can go to. They can go nickel with Diggs in the slot, nickel with Lawson in the slot, dime with Lawson and Shead, 3 and 4 safety looks with a mixture of box(Wilson/Killer) and coverage(Quin,Diggs,Shead) guys. You can drop into 3-4 with Kennard and Ansah as your OLBs, you can go small at LB on third downs with JRM and Killer. You have 5 edges you believe to be at least functional so they'll generate pass rush by lining up 3 ends across the line on clear passing downs, etc. I think the flexibility of this defense, especially given the mind running it, is severely underrated. 

Yah, yah, I'm a Lions slappy and all our players suck...

• Like 1

...this is the main reason you see no more Ebron. They know that they may not replace his ability to help them move the ball between the 20s, but they also knew that teams too easily took him away or took advantage of his blocking when things mattered most, such as in the RZ.

Exactly right.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

No, no... I like the part above this...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

all our players suck...

That's The Spirit!!!

4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

stop stealing my bits.

• Haha 1