MAROTH4MVP

Detroit Lions 2018 Free Agency

28 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

We had him here before, and had the best team defense, and overall team performance, in a generation. I would take my chances. But I’m not sure we have the dollars to meet his expectations.

He hated it here.  Absolutely hated it.   He's not coming back. 

He hated it here.  Absolutely hated it.   He's not coming back. 

I have no expectation of him coming back. He will go where he can get the most money.

If that was Detroit, he’d come back.

8 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I have no expectation of him coming back. He will go where he can get the most money.

If that was Detroit, he’d come back.

No he wouldn't.   Trust me.  He hated everything about Detroit.  Everything.    Everyone around the Lions knew it too - except for Martin Mayhew, who thought he could re-sign him so he made no contingency plans for DT.  

If we fail to land one of Poe, Richardson or Suh than that is a failure on Quinn's part IMO. We have a desperate need at the front seven and a run stopping DT should be our biggest focus. We have ample cap space still and need to pay the price for one of those guys, bidding war or otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we fail to land one of Poe, Richardson or Suh than that is a failure on Quinn's part IMO. We have a desperate need at the front seven and a run stopping DT should be our biggest focus. We have ample cap space still and need to pay the price for one of those guys, bidding war or otherwise.

We can bring back Fluellen .............

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No he wouldn't.   Trust me.  He hated everything about Detroit.  Everything.    Everyone around the Lions knew it too - except for Martin Mayhew, who thought he could re-sign him so he made no contingency plans for DT.  

Trust you?  Do you have a source for this information that he hated everything about Detroit? I don't think he loved this place but I'm pretty sure he left to go to the highest bidder.

I'm kind of meh on Suh anyway. He's getting up there in years and isn't quite the pass rusher he used to be. I'd rather draft an interior pass rusher and spend money elsewhere, Malcolm Butler would be a really good get for one.  Wouldn't mind DeMarco Murray for cheap either although not sure how much gas he has left in the tank.

Trust you?  Do you have a source for this information that he hated everything about Detroit? I don't think he loved this place but I'm pretty sure he left to go to the highest bidder.
I'm kind of meh on Suh anyway. He's getting up there in years and isn't quite the pass rusher he used to be. I'd rather draft an interior pass rusher and spend money elsewhere, Malcolm Butler would be a really good get for one.  Wouldn't mind DeMarco Murray for cheap either although not sure how much gas he has left in the tank.

Just trust him. After all, he’s a random guy on a message board.

On another note, I was a bit puzzled that they let Ngata go to Philly. He has the frame that Patricia wants in the middle of his defense. I haven’t heard of any other conversations they are having with UFA DL. But I can’t imagine they will use more than one of their six picks on a DL (hopefully Vea or Payne in the 1st); they pretty much have to sign at least one more DL.

lions signing a bunch of depth guys so far.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

lions signing a bunch of depth guys so far.

Not Kennard or Jones. They will get plenty of snaps. Kennard is a stud.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Not Kennard or Jones. They will get plenty of snaps. Kennard is a stud.

kennard is not a stud.  he is a versatile linebacker who can rush the passer, is decent against the run, and terrible in coverage.  probably an upgrade from whitehead.

jones runs around like a chicken with his head cut off.  he was a backup for the bears until everyone else on the team got injured.  he has decent speed.

the hope is that theyre young enough that they have room for improvement and can provide some snaps if the lions play around with 4 linebacker sets.

im happy they resigned wilson.  their safeties should be decent.  theyve missed out on butler.  they havent shown any interest in any defensive linemen other than depth players with a little versatility (see "patroit way", and every signing theyve made on defense under quinn).

if the MO for the pats holds true here, they wont place too high a value on defensive players and will instead search for depth and guys they can plug in to do a job.  so no poe, no suh, no richardson.

but who knows?  if the price falls to a reasonable level, they might pick up one of those guys.  but i'd be surprised.

I like the idea of spending low on defense. No need to eat up cap space.  Did anyone watch the super bowl?  It was all offense.  

Vikings had top D.  Got eaten alive.  

11 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

I like the idea of spending low on defense. No need to eat up cap space.  Did anyone watch the super bowl?  It was all offense.  

Vikings had top D.  Got eaten alive.  

i think its preferable to have playmakers on defense.  like brandon graham who caused a tom brady fumble and won the game for the eagles.

but i think its preferable to draft those guys rather than severely overpay in free agency (because almost everyone in free agency is overpaid).  but if you are going to overpay, it should be for a difference maker (like suh) rather than an average player.

the lions could use some playmakers up front.  like a landry/davenport/hurst/vea type.  

Beau Allen is a must sign imo. Or a reasonable facsimile.

Titans get Butler.

Packers get Jimmy Graham.

Lions still have Ebron and no defensive line.

Underwhelming day, so far.

Edit: The only thing I’m happy about is that the Vikings paid a very big amount of money to a very mediocre QB.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

Beau Allen is a must sign imo. Or a reasonable facsimile.

Nevin Lawson work for you.

now were not overpaying playmakers, were overpaying nonplaymakers.

nevin lawson?  really?

quinn usually makes one splash signing (jones, wagner) and a bunch of blah non-entity depth signings that only the homerist of homers gets excited about.

this year he seems to have skipped straight to the blah signings.

Well neither Poe nor Richardson have signed anywhere. Here's to hoping Quinn brings one of them here to the Lions.

15 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Titans get Butler.

Packers get Jimmy Graham.

Lions still have Ebron and no defensive line.

Underwhelming day, so far.

Edit: The only thing I’m happy about is that the Vikings paid a very big amount of money to a very mediocre QB.

I wanted Butler too but the Titans paid him a kings ransom, way too rich for the Lions to pay a #2 corner that much when they have much bigger issues on the defensive line. 

I might be in the minority but I'd rather keep Ebron. It seemed like he really started to come into his own towards the end of last season so I'd rather see it through with him for at least another season than cut bait and have to fill that hole.

i dont mind keeping ebron either, especially with the money teams are throwing around for other tight ends.

that being said, maybe ebron's market value increases now that the other tight ends are off the board?

$10-12 mil range in actual cap space left (not accounting for the structuring of contracts) , they could also cue some people. I am not sure if Sportstrac factors in roll over from last year. They do account for the 5.5 million for players dropping of the 51.

I'd really like to get Poe.

At this point there is no need to move on from Ebron.   And I’m happy with the linebacker upgrades.   Whitehead and warrilow won’t NFL quality.  

Need help on the DL, make a signing there and lets head to the draft and load up on defense.