Darren Fells TE DET $1,000,000 UFA -
Dwight Freeney OLB DET $1,000,000 UFA -
Jordan Hill DT DET $855,000 UFA -
Nick Bellore ILB DET $775,000 UFA -
Don Barclay RT DET $775,000 UFA -
Mike James RB DET $775,000 UFA -
Travis Swanson C DET $739,243 UFA -
Nevin Lawson CB DET $630,146 UFA -

I would maybe franchise Ansah. There's going to be a new scheme so see what he can do in the new scheme and hopefully healthy. It still wouldn't stop them from pursuing other DL. Whitehead rates pretty well at OLB so I would consider resigning him. The loss of Ngata was noticeable. I would consider him as well. Also have to see if Patricia will be doing a 3-4 or 4-3. 

I like Diggs at saftey but he small. I don't think he can last a full year without injury. So the Lions will need depth or try to pair him with Killebrew

I also like Lawson. But I don't think he is worth what other teams are going to be willing to pay him. I'd like it if the Lions kept Hayden. He is OK if his snaps are limited.

Also death, taxes, Muhlbach.

Muhlbach is an absolutely must resign... if we don't get him inked, we may have to spend a draft pick on a LSer...

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Muhlbach is an absolutely must resign... if we don't get him inked, we may have to spend a draft pick on a LSer...

we should spend a draft pick on a long snapper regardless.  that will let the team know that we mean business and no one's job is safe.

Muhlbach for MVP! He should get resigned. I would also resign Diggs to play safety. annnnnd that's about it. 

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

we should spend a draft pick on a long snapper regardless.  that will let the team know that we mean business and no one's job is safe.

I would draft two LSers to show 'em we ain't messing around!!! 

Hayden if he is willing to accept a similar offer to last year is worth keeping. Especially if the Lions are not going to keep Lawson.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Why do I get the feeling that this will be the next Huge Show topic?

Huge's Big Question of the day: Should the Lions draft a new [insert position here] to let the players know they mean business?  Also, taking your opinion on the weekend... Your "Good and Bad" from the playoff week end, and your "Good and Bad" from the Spartans loss last night.

And now, I've NEVER called for Stafford to be traded, but... Jacksonville's watching a playoff win at home, why can't Stafford do that here?  And don't give me this business of he has no one around him... how did he get all the stats he did if he had no one?

Would you trade all of Stafford's stats for a playoff win at home?

On 1/8/2018 at 3:14 PM, MAROTH4MVP said:

Ezekiel Ansah DE DET $4,648,629 UFA -
Tahir Whitehead OLB DET $4,000,000 UFA -
D.J. Hayden CB DET $3,750,000 UFA -

Don Carey SS DET $1,350,000 UFA -
Tavon Wilson SS DET $1,100,000 UFA -

Darren Fells TE DET $1,000,000 UFA -

Travis Swanson C DET $739,243 UFA -
Nevin Lawson CB DET $630,146 UFA -

I'd only offer Ziggy a one year deal to prove he's healthy enough for the big long-term deal.    Whitehead is fine, they just need more help in front of and alongside him.   

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:
    I'd only offer Ziggy a one year deal to prove he's healthy enough for the big long-term deal.    Whitehead is fine, they just need more help in front of and alongside him.   

Ansah is not going to sign a one year deal. His agent isn't an idiot, they realize he has an injury history. A team will be willing to give him multiple years in a contract because pass rushers are at a premium. Ansah is actually one of the more desirable pass rushers in free agency this year, there is a market for him. The only way the Lions get him on a 1 year contract is to tag him. The franchise tag this year for a DE was almost 17 million. That is a ton of cap space.

Fine, then he can leave.  Any team that dumps a bunch of money for him long term is stupid.      Dominating Cincinnati and Zombie Green Bay means next to nothing.  Hopefully Quinn sees that.        He's D'Andre Levy.    

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Fine, then he can leave.  Any team that dumps a bunch of money for him long term is stupid.      Dominating Cincinnati and Zombie Green Bay means next to nothing.  Hopefully Quinn sees that.        He's D'Andre Levy.    

The Packer have been pretty vocal about saying the days of them not signing fee agents is over. Apparently they aim to be very active in free agency this year.

I 100% agree that signing Ansah to a long term contract is a mistake. There is key difference between Ansah and Levy though, Levy was generally healthy prior to signing his big contract, Ansah get hurt from sneezing. Hopefully Hyder can bounce back.

Another thing is if the Lions go to a multiple front or 3-4 under Patricia, they will need personnel to run that system. I would hope they bring back Nagata, and acquire someone else to play Nose Tackle. I don't think A'shawn is really suited to play it at the NFL level. Poe intrigues me. There are a few in the draft as well Vea, Wilkins, Payne, Phillips, Tillery are the best of that bunch. The Lions will also need to acquire better LBs, as they currently lack talent at that position. In the 4-3 base nickel or whatever you want to call it, the Lions need at least one CB who can play on the inside and is a quality tackler.

Patricia runs a two gap or sometimes a one gap/two gap hybrid system on defense so getting stout lineman and versatile linebackers are the key to making the system work.  I would guess that would mean Whitehead finds work elsewhere. I think Quinn is the perfect guy to play Chung's role on defense. He can match up with just about anyone.

2 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Ansah is not going to sign a one year deal. His agent isn't an idiot, they realize he has an injury history. A team will be willing to give him multiple years in a contract because pass rushers are at a premium. Ansah is actually one of the more desirable pass rushers in free agency this year, there is a market for him. The only way the Lions get him on a 1 year contract is to tag him. The franchise tag this year for a DE was almost 17 million. That is a ton of cap space.

Yeah, it's almost tempting to use the franchise to force that 1 year deal... but that's a LOT of money to gamble on if a player is healthy.  I think especially the way Ansah finished up the year teams will be beating down his door to sign him... I'm just not sure the Lions should be the ones to do it.

I hate to weaking an already super-weak Dline... but I also don't like investing huge money into a guy who can't stay on the field.

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, it's almost tempting to use the franchise to force that 1 year deal... but that's a LOT of money to gamble on if a player is healthy.  I think especially the way Ansah finished up the year teams will be beating down his door to sign him... I'm just not sure the Lions should be the ones to do it.

I hate to weaking an already super-weak Dline... but I also don't like investing huge money into a guy who can't stay on the field.

For 17 million you can get a lot of depth on the D-line. The Lions would be much better doing that than placing on the franchise tag for a player who will most likely miss time at some point in the season.

Well that escalated quickly, Patricia to Giants. I am assuming Vrabel will run a similar system to the Patriots assuming he is the new Head Coach.

17 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Well that escalated quickly, Patricia to Giants. I am assuming Vrabel will run a similar system to the Patriots assuming he is the new Head Coach.

nothing is official.  i wouldnt count new york papers' gossip any more than i would detroit papers' gossip.

All I know is I want a RB. Crowell is a top FA choice of mine. In the draft though I have a chub For Chubb RB from Georgia. 

2 hours ago, PVM4HTORAM said:

All I know is I want a RB. Crowell is a top FA choice of mine. In the draft though I have a chub For Chubb RB from Georgia. 

I like the other guy from Cleveland more - Duke Johnson.   He's quick and tough.   Too bad he won't be available.    He'd be worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 

8 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Well that escalated quickly, Patricia to Giants.

I wouldn't be surprised if he chose the Giants over the Lions. Detroit's a coaching graveyard

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Ugh, don't remind me how much we miss Levy. 

True though. Way too much resources to invest in Ansah. 

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I like the other guy from Cleveland more - Duke Johnson.   He's quick and tough.   Too bad he won't be available.    He'd be worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 

He's exactly like Riddick though..?

For me I keep Whitehead, Bellore and Ngata. You could consider keeping Hayden or Lawson for the slot, but I'd try to upgrade. TJ is the toughest call. 

Ansah,Fells,Swanson,Lawson,Hayden,Worrilow and TJ probably walk and we look to land comp picks for them. 

This means we can't sign more than 1-2 FAs, the other guys we sign need to have been cut from other teams. 

If we wanted to go big and fix the run game in one fell swoop, I'm all in on paying Andrew Norwell and then adding Dion Lewis on day one of FA. Get a 2nd RB in the draft and trade Abdullah for our 6th back or something.