Jump to content

Sydney_Fife

2018 NBA Trade Deadline

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Rumors are rumors. SVG has done nothing to signal "win now mode". If anything the team has been in "rely on internal developments from your young core" mode.  

Signing veterans like Boban, Galloway, and Leuer to sizable, long-term deals doesn't signify trying to win now??? Trading for Avery Bradley on an expiring contract (giving up a great value deal in Morris, too) isn't trying to win now??? Huh????

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

trading for guys on big contracts like harris, and guys who will take big contracts to keep like reggie (and potentially bradley), signing drummond to a monster deal, overpaying for bench players, not trading for future picks, all signals his intent is to win now.

 
Tobias Harris was 23 years old when SVG acquired him.
 
Drummond was 22 years old when SVG paid him.
 
Reggie was 25 when SVG paid him.
 
That is not "win now" mode. That is "find young guys, try to retain them and hope for internal improvement" mode. 

Win now mode is when a GM is trading future draft picks for vets, trading young talent for older players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Signing veterans like Boban, Galloway, and Leuer to sizable, long-term deals doesn't signify trying to win now??? Trading for Avery Bradley on an expiring contract (giving up a great value deal in Morris, too) isn't trying to win now??? Huh????

Boban, Galloway & Leuer don't signal win now. They signal signing guys who should be in their prime to play backup minutes on a team of young players. Win now would be trading our 1st round draft pick this off-season for a vet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't know. I just hope he does something soon so I can complain about it.

I'd be hesitant to deal Stanley. He's 21, has shown he has a lot of defensive potential, and if the jumper ever comes around to a decent level he will be a solid piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't know. I just hope he does something soon so I can complain about it.

I'm sure you can find a way regardless 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 313DetroitCity said:

Boban, Galloway & Leuer don't signal win now. They signal signing guys who should be in their prime to play backup minutes on a team of young players. Win now would be trading our 1st round draft pick this off-season for a vet. 

That's 24 million of a 99 million dollar cap next season. 25 percent of the cap to average players signals trying to win now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I'd be hesitant to deal Stanley. He's 21, has shown he has a lot of defensive potential, and if the jumper ever comes around to a decent level he will be a solid piece.

I'm not shipping him out for nothing. He's useful in a series against LeBron, Giannis, Simmons, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Rumors are rumors. SVG has done nothing to signal "win now mode". If anything the team has been in "rely on internal developments from your young core" mode.  

I'm just making a prediction that he will deal the 1st rounder for a roster player based on the rumors floating around.  I'm not talking about past moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:
 
Tobias Harris was 23 years old when SVG acquired him.
 
Drummond was 22 years old when SVG paid him.
 
Reggie was 25 when SVG paid him.
 
That is not "win now" mode. That is "find young guys, try to retain them and hope for internal improvement" mode. 

Win now mode is when a GM is trading future draft picks for vets, trading young talent for older players. 

trading for those guys and giving them big contracts is a "win now" move.  its a salary cap league and you only have so much space and so much time with each player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deleterious said:

I'm not shipping him out for nothing. He's useful in a series against LeBron, Giannis, Simmons, etc.

For sure. Dealing him for nothing would be a monumentally bad decision. He is costing us next to nothing at this point. Only deal him if an upgrade is there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I'm not shipping him out for nothing. He's useful in a series against LeBron, Giannis, Simmons, etc.

would you deal stanley for niko?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I'm sure you can find a way regardless 

First time you have been right in weeks!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

trading for those guys and giving them big contracts is a "win now" move.  its a salary cap league and you only have so much space and so much time with each player.

Trading for young guys and hoping they develop is not "win now". SVG and the front office didn't expect the core of Reggie/Drummond and others to win a championship as soon as they handed them contracts. They expected them to continue developing, and wanted to see how far that core could go down the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

svg has acquired more talent in every trade he has made.  but he's also put together an expensive team with a ceiling of a middle of the pack eastern conference squad.  the team isnt good enough to trade a future asset for a player to put them over the top.

but i blame gores as much as svg.  svg was behind the 8ball when he got here.

as has been said, the more glaring problem with svg has been his free agent acquisitions and his inability to get any assets for players he has no use for (smith, monroe, and kcp).

 

He didn't really have much of a choice.  He had to build this thing from the ground up and considering the assets he had to work with, he did a pretty good job building a competitive squad.  Jackson, Bradley, Harris, Drummond.  These guys are all good players and they now have a pretty solid bench as well.

There are two main problems with SVG the GM.  His drafting (although I like Kennard but lets see) and letting Monroe and KCP go for nothing. The signings like Galloway and Boban are more the fault of SVG the coach not SVG the GM.  These are players who have been solid producers when given the chance.  SVG the coach is the bigger issue IMO, there's some talent to work with here.

It's not a lost cause.  I think an upgrade at the PG spot would go a long way towards making this a bigger playoff contender.  They have a good group of players to work with, they just need a PG who can consistently create open looks for those guys and guard opposing PGs.  If Ish had a jump shot and was several inches taller, he'd be a tough player to contend with. He has that John Wall attack mentality but doesn't have the physical stature or the threat of a jump shot to pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Buddha said:

trading for guys on big contracts like harris, and guys who will take big contracts to keep like reggie (and potentially bradley), signing drummond to a monster deal, overpaying for bench players, not trading for future picks, all signals his intent is to win now.

There aren't two categories "Win Now" or "tanking". there are levels in the middle.

None of the first three things you mentioned fall into the "win now" category by any stretch. Not sure the other things do either, they're just bad moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

There aren't two categories "Win Now" or "tanking". there are levels in the middle.

None of the first three things you mentioned fall into the "win now" category by any stretch. Not sure the other things do either, they're just bad moves.

i agree there are levels in between win now and tanking.  i dont think you have to tank to trade assets for better assets.

was the failure to move monroe or kcp or josh smith a win now move?  i dont know.  but moving them at the time wouldnt have been tanking, it would have been moving an asset you dont plan on keeping for other more potentially valuable assets.

i think people have different definitions of "win now."  i think that in the nba with its salary cap, if you move for players with large contracts like harris and reggie (after the extension), while giving drummond max money, it means youre in the window to win now.  i think the leuer signing was made to win now.  same with galloway.  the pistons want to win and make the playoffs.  they are not rebuilding (which doesnt necessarily mean tanking).

if your definition of "win now" means "we are going to win a championship", then no, none of those moves is to win now.  if "win now" only means "sign old players who want to win a championship", then no, the pistons arent doing that.  but they are definitely trying to win now.  they are not rebuilding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned a trade for Biyombo. Someone else said he's not worth the pay for a backup Center in place of Moreland.

I agree with both of you. How's that? Well, he's not worth it for a backup. However, bringing him in allows you to move Drummond. That's your best trade chip (along with some youth and/or picks) to bring in a real playmaker. I'd happily start Biyombo and an All-Star at the 1 or 3 position over Drummond and the table scraps it might take to get Biyombo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...