Jump to content

Sydney_Fife

2018 NBA Trade Deadline

Recommended Posts

I'm fine with trading picks, I mean it's not like we ever get anything out of the players we draft anyway. 

It's been 5 years since the Pistons have drafted even an average rotational player and 6 since they got a plus player.   SVG would fit right in with David Chadd on the Tigers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm fine with trading picks, I mean it's not like we ever get anything out of the players we draft anyway. 

It's been 5 years since the Pistons have drafted even an average rotational player and 6 since they got a plus player.   SVG would fit right in with David Chadd on the Tigers.

top pistons draft picks by career win shares:

bob lanier

bailey howell

grant hill

dennis rodman

joe dumars

dan issel

isiah thomas

ricky pierce

dave bing

tayshaun prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What could this team do if it wanted to bottom out and clear payroll and try to do a “process”?

it would probably take a couple seasons right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buddha said:

the bulls are rebuilding and want younger players with potential.  no need for boban harris and tolliver.

As SF noted, Harris is 25 and averaging 18 PTS and shooting 40%+ for 3pt.  Valentine is a good box stuffer, but Harris would give them a shot in the arm at SF on offense.  Paired with Portis, that is a frontcourt capable of scoring quite a bit.

Boban replaces RoLo at less cost, offering an interior scorer and rebounder superior to RoLo.  Both players have deals that expire next season IIRC.

Tolliver is there to teach this team full of youngsters how to be a professional (or something like that) and offer a portion of Niko's shooting on a cheap expiring deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What could this team do if it wanted to bottom out and clear payroll and try to do a “process”?

it would probably take a couple seasons right?

5-6 years with all the right breaks to contend if Gores decides to go full-process.  BOS, MKE, CHI, NJN and PHI have the jump on Detroit in a big way right now in terms of that period of time.  If WAS can keep their team together, ATL's rebuild hits paydirt and CHA can make its young talent come together then that makes a solid eight teams DET has to deal with during that time period.  TOR won't last, not enough in MIA, CLE will be rebuilding, who knows with IND, Orlando and NYK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm fine with trading picks, I mean it's not like we ever get anything out of the players we draft anyway. 

It's been 5 years since the Pistons have drafted even an average rotational player and 6 since they got a plus player.   SVG would fit right in with David Chadd on the Tigers.

I think it is OK to call Spencer Dinwiddie a plus player now with over a 4:1 A:TO, shooting 36% from 3pt (7.4 ATT Per Game) and scoring 17.4 per 36.  He's certainly better than anything Detroit has had at PG in some time, and shame on SVG for not sticking with a kid he drafted hurt if he believed in him enough to take him.

Also, it is way to early to make a judgement on Kennard.  It is on SVG for not getting that kid more shots and burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 years seems long. This is year 5 for Philly and they have a shot at the playoffs. 

They have been unfortunate with injuries too. If Simmons and Embiid play last year they might have made the playoffs in year 4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I think in any trade that involves a talented player (not talking bench guys here...), we are going to have to consider including not just salary filler (Boban, Leuer, etc...); but also 1 or 2 of SJ/ Ellenson/ Kennard, and plus a 1st rounder. Depends on who the target(s) is.

IE: Let's say we can talk Orlando into including Payton in a Fournier deal (they like Elfrid, but...); for Reggie/ Buycks/ Stanley works on Trade Machine, plus we'd have to add a 1st and 2nd rounder? This trade may be off/ turned down by 1 or both teams... I'm just saying... the structure will probably need to be along those lines.

IE: Ellenson/ Kennard/ Galloway Trade-Machine-works for Tyreke/ Brandon Wright, plus we add in a 1st. Except... we don't get Bird Rights so it doesn't work for us. We turn it down. Would Memphis say yes to that? They have (3) $20+mill players already and they still suck, so they are probably stuck on Evans. Trade him or let him walk for nothing. I think they say yes. But we say no.

I would look at deals along these lines though... Pain in the *** to actually make them work though (team-wise I mean, not TM-wise...)

Orlando is not trading Payton unless the deal is completely lopsided.  

Why use real assets to get Evans?  Is it that important to try and finish 5th in the EC this year?

Draft picks need to be kept, players making the most money need to be traded, and young talent needs to be gambled on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

5 years seems long. This is year 5 for Philly and they have a shot at the playoffs. 

They have been unfortunate with injuries too. If Simmons and Embiid play last year they might have made the playoffs in year 4.

 

They drafted Embiid with knowledge he was a huge gamble because of injuries, as he dropped to them only because of injuries.  Simmons, of course, was unfortunate and completely unforseable.  Is Fultz really supposed to be great right out of the box?  Kid is young and nothing like Simmons at that age.

I wasn't talking about just making the playoffs, but contending.  Any team with a pulse makes the playoffs in the East.  I stand by 5-6 years as the time it would take to build a contender via process.  Philly could contend next year, in year six, with Fultz coming back and hopefully being better along with another draft pick--plus a key FA signing on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

As SF noted, Harris is 25 and averaging 18 PTS and shooting 40%+ for 3pt.  Valentine is a good box stuffer, but Harris would give them a shot in the arm at SF on offense.  Paired with Portis, that is a frontcourt capable of scoring quite a bit.

Boban replaces RoLo at less cost, offering an interior scorer and rebounder superior to RoLo.  Both players have deals that expire next season IIRC.

Tolliver is there to teach this team full of youngsters how to be a professional (or something like that) and offer a portion of Niko's shooting on a cheap expiring deal.

valentine is a bad player.  cant play defense.  plays old man offense becuae he's not athletic to get past anyone.  he'll be a role player at best if he can stay in the league.

harris has one more year on his deal and then they'd have to pay him big money.  the bulls arent going anywhere this year or next year.  it makes no sense to give up an asset for him when the main objective right now is to develop your young players and get a top pick next year.  

the bulls want picks and future value, not guys who are going to be good now. and theyre not dealing both of their best assets for harris and junk.  thats stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I think it is OK to call Spencer Dinwiddie a plus player now with over a 4:1 A:TO, shooting 36% from 3pt (7.4 ATT Per Game) and scoring 17.4 per 36.  He's certainly better than anything Detroit has had at PG in some time, and shame on SVG for not sticking with a kid he drafted hurt if he believed in him enough to take him.

Also, it is way to early to make a judgement on Kennard.  It is on SVG for not getting that kid more shots and burn.

in fairness to svg, dinwiddie didnt even look like a guy who could play in the league his last year in detroit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6990321

Cleveland adds the Brooklyn pick, which is losing value with Brooklyn doing better than expected.

Cleveland would love to get away from that terrible Thompson contract. This let's them add defense, which they need bad, and some scoring to take the load off of LeBron.

Plus it would be fun watching IT and AB beat Boston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

in fairness to svg, dinwiddie didnt even look like a guy who could play in the league his last year in detroit.

The cases of Middleton and Dinwiddie are similar.  Both guys slipped to the 2nd round because of concerns coming off knee injuries.   Both guys were sent out of town before they were able to prove themselves.  

In this era of players coming out mostly too early (developmentally), giving up on a talented second-rounder you got on the cheap because of injuries is crazytown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6990321

Cleveland adds the Brooklyn pick, which is losing value with Brooklyn doing better than expected.

Cleveland would love to get away from that terrible Thompson contract. This let's them add defense, which they need bad, and some scoring to take the load off of LeBron.

Plus it would be fun watching IT and AB beat Boston.

I've strongly hinted that I would do anything to get another draft pick in this draft, and this pushes that maxim to the limit.

That said, I hold my nose and make this deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

valentine is a bad player.  cant play defense.  plays old man offense becuae he's not athletic to get past anyone.  he'll be a role player at best if he can stay in the league.

harris has one more year on his deal and then they'd have to pay him big money.  the bulls arent going anywhere this year or next year.  it makes no sense to give up an asset for him when the main objective right now is to develop your young players and get a top pick next year.  

the bulls want picks and future value, not guys who are going to be good now. and theyre not dealing both of their best assets for harris and junk.  thats stupid.

I'm not arguing that Valentine is a great or athletic player.  But calling him bad?  I don't know about that.  39.8% 3pt, 2:1 A:TO from the wing, 12.1/6.7/3.7 per 36.   He's got a spot in a rotation until he gets slower.  He is certainly a nice piece to have with that contract.

Next year's Bulls could surprise people.  Dunn/LeVine/Harris/Portis/Marksman is pretty fantastic scoring lineup that not many teams will be able to deal with, barring injury, if it Harris were to happen for them.  Valentine off the bench with Holiday and Grant rounds out a nice eight-man rotation.  I get it that the group isn't going to stop anyone on defense, though, but they will have the money to sign a respectable UFA to help out with that.  

If the Bulls want Leuer, ellenson/Johnson instead of Boban then that's fine.  If they don't, then let them draft a SF next season.  Fine with me, I'm not married to the idea of bringing Niko to Detroit even if SVG may be.

Just don't give up the bloody draft pick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

5-6 years with all the right breaks to contend if Gores decides to go full-process.  BOS, MKE, CHI, NJN and PHI have the jump on Detroit in a big way right now in terms of that period of time.  If WAS can keep their team together, ATL's rebuild hits paydirt and CHA can make its young talent come together then that makes a solid eight teams DET has to deal with during that time period.  TOR won't last, not enough in MIA, CLE will be rebuilding, who knows with IND, Orlando and NYK.

I just meant what needed to be done to bottom out. The current team is obviously too talented to get a high lottery pick this year. 

Could we conceivably trade everyone with moderate skill over the next year for worse players on worse contracts such that we would be a bottom 3 team? Can it be done without trading draft picks away?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Could we conceivably trade everyone with moderate skill over the next year for worse players on worse contracts such that we would be a bottom 3 team? Can it be done without trading draft picks away?

 

Great questions for sure.  

This next draft is big-man heavy, so that draft may not be important at all to the Pistons (in their minds).

Trading Drummond for a a bad contract, a '19 and a '20 first-rounder would be ideal and it would probably take multiple teams to pull it off.  Trade Harris for a '20 or '21 first rounder if you can.  Get something/anything young for AB.  Maybe even sell off other guys for multiple second-rounders if they feel like actually holding onto them longer than a year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right...

That's the worst crap I've ever seen. Oh yeah, SVG is going the the Process route... yeah right.

Del, you're officially excluded from EVER being a GM in the NBA. And stay away from the Pistons. Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Right...

That's the worst crap I've ever seen. Oh yeah, SVG is going the the Process route... yeah right.

Del, you're officially excluded from EVER being a GM in the NBA. And stay away from the Pistons. Please.

That bums me out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'm not arguing that Valentine is a great or athletic player.  But calling him bad?  I don't know about that.  39.8% 3pt, 2:1 A:TO from the wing, 12.1/6.7/3.7 per 36.   He's got a spot in a rotation until he gets slower.  He is certainly a nice piece to have with that contract.

Next year's Bulls could surprise people.  Dunn/LeVine/Harris/Portis/Marksman is pretty fantastic scoring lineup that not many teams will be able to deal with, barring injury, if it Harris were to happen for them.  Valentine off the bench with Holiday and Grant rounds out a nice eight-man rotation.  I get it that the group isn't going to stop anyone on defense, though, but they will have the money to sign a respectable UFA to help out with that.  

If the Bulls want Leuer, ellenson/Johnson instead of Boban then that's fine.  If they don't, then let them draft a SF next season.  Fine with me, I'm not married to the idea of bringing Niko to Detroit even if SVG may be.

Just don't give up the bloody draft pick.

 

but harris still doesnt fit them.  theyre already a decent offensive team that cant stop anyone AND theyre not playijg for next year.  they want future value for niko.

i dont want them to trade the draft pick either but i assume they will because svg is in win now mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i bet the bulls would be interested in stanley, they dont have too many defense first players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shelton said:

What could this team do if it wanted to bottom out and clear payroll and try to do a “process”?

it would probably take a couple seasons right?

Drummond and Harris go, you wait out Reggie's deal, let Bradley walk and look to deal Stanley for any possible thing you can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×