Jump to content

RatkoVarda

Caldwell fired

Recommended Posts


18 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Too many in-game coaching blunders, too many slow starts in the first half, too many times the team look ill-prepared to start the game and an inability to seal the deal when it matters. These were the major reasons why I think moving on from Caldwell is the right decision.

Agree with this.  It's not that Caldwell was awful, but I just don't think he was that great either.

To me, the most telling was the last game of the season.  The offense seemed creative and aggressive, taking some shots down the field.  The Defense was going strong and pushing hard against GB.  It was a great game from all aspects of the team (well, except for the running game).

And all game long I just kept asking myself: Where was this sort of play calling all season long?  If they can do this in a meaningless game, why can't they do it against the Bengals the previous week?  Why can't they get creative and try to make some plays when they need to against better teams?

Why do we only see this at the end of a season when it looks like jobs are on the line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

 

And all game long I just kept asking myself: Where was this sort of play calling all season long? 

Maybe because the GB "D" isn't very good? Green Bay is less than a TD from having given up the most points in the conference - how good does your offense really need to be to look good against them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

According to this article, Caldwell is an avid real estate investor so I'm guessing he's fine financially.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/12/30/detroit-lions-jim-caldwell-green-back-packers/991837001/

The guy has made millions of dollars from the Lions and probably will be taking millions of dollars from the Lions next year as well.  It's not that I'm heartless or like to see a guy lose his job, but financially speaking, I'm not at all worried about him or his family.

Unless he was an absolute fool with his money, I'm sure he could live comfortably for the rest of his live without ever working again... and I'm sure he'll end up working again in some capacity whether as a coach or a media guy or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Maybe because the GB "D" isn't very good? Green Bay is less than a TD from having given up the most points in the conference - how good does your offense really need to be to look good against them?

This is true... I understand we're going to look better against a lesser defense, but was the Packers defense twice as bad as the Bengals defense?  Is it only possible to run "trick plays" like the Stafford reception against lesser defenses?  Is it only possible to look prepared against GB?

I don't doubt that the Lions won't have looked as good as they did Sunday if we were up against the Vikings' or the Panthers' defense.  But they have face plenty of "lesser than" teams where they did not look as prepared or as put together as they did on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

The guy has made millions of dollars from the Lions and probably will be taking millions of dollars from the Lions next year as well.  It's not that I'm heartless or like to see a guy lose his job, but financially speaking, I'm not at all worried about him or his family.

Unless he was an absolute fool with his money, I'm sure he could live comfortably for the rest of his live without ever working again... and I'm sure he'll end up working again in some capacity whether as a coach or a media guy or something.

I don't think there is any disagreement here. I meant the original comment about Caldwell' ability to still make money to mean no-one should be worrying about him. And it's true whether he works in the NFL again or not -  and in fairness I don't think Caldwell is asking anyone to worry about him either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes teams just have a good game or a bad game.

Also it is possible for an offensive scheme to happen to work well against the personnel / scheme of a specific defense.

I wouldn't read anything into a single game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sometimes teams just have a good game or a bad game.

Also it is possible for an offensive scheme to happen to work well against the personnel / scheme of a specific defense.

I wouldn't read anything into a single game.

True, although I'd read a lot into the Bengals debacle. That game was a kick in the sack.

Postseason on the line....  and another game of poor execution against inferior competition, another ill prepared team put on the field, another blown opportunity. It pretty much summed up Caldwell's tenure in Detroit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That game sucked, no doubt.  But just about every team has a let down game at some point in the season.

Unfortunately the Lions had no margin for error when they had theirs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, number20 said:

True, although I'd read a lot into the Bengals debacle. That game was a kick in the sack.

Postseason on the line....  and another game of poor execution against inferior competition, another ill prepared team put on the field, another blown opportunity. It pretty much summed up Caldwell's tenure in Detroit

A good ravens team lost to the bengals at home, too, throwing away their chance at the playoffs. 

The bengals finished 7-9. The lions and ravens finished 9-7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

A good ravens team lost to the bengals at home, too, throwing away their chance at the playoffs. 

The bengals finished 7-9. The lions and ravens finished 9-7. 

Do you think Harbaugh’s earned a pass for a game like that though? He’s already proven his worth (although he’s definitely been in a dry spell for a few years). For Caldwell it was business as usual, and likely one game too many with playing down to the competition’s level. I’m guessing Quinn had probably seen enough.

I know others keep throwing it out there, but I’m thoroughly underwhelmed by Caldwell’s 9-7 finish, or his trumped up record with the Lions for that matter. The entire thing is padded with wins against losing teams – a good number of those being due to Stafford Heroics. Peyton Manning had a way of making coaches look better than they really were – there’s a reason Caldwell was fired by the Colts. He’d be a terrific addition to any coaching staff, but as a head coach he reeks of Imposter Syndrome

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, number20 said:

Do you think Harbaugh’s earned a pass for a game like that though? He’s already proven his worth (although he’s definitely been in a dry spell for a few years). For Caldwell it was business as usual, and likely one game too many with playing down to the competition’s level. I’m guessing Quinn had probably seen enough.

I know others keep throwing it out there, but I’m thoroughly underwhelmed by Caldwell’s 9-7 finish, or his trumped up record with the Lions for that matter. The entire thing is padded with wins against losing teams – a good number of those being due to Stafford Heroics. Peyton Manning had a way of making coaches look better than they really were – there’s a reason Caldwell was fired by the Colts. He’d be a terrific addition to any coaching staff, but as a head coach he reeks of Imposter Syndrome

 

I don’t know. I’m only saying that teams lose to inferior teams all the time. It doesn’t have to be due to any specific coaching failure. 

The seahawks also lost in week 17 in a game they needed to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t know. I’m only saying that teams lose to inferior teams all the time. It doesn’t have to be due to any specific coaching failure. 

The seahawks also lost in week 17 in a game they needed to win. 

Football is also a 'matchup' game. If you have the league's best cover corners and they make yours a great pass D, you'd likely do better against the Lions that say the Steeler team featuring Jerome Bettis. I think match ups can be more important than the overall quality difference in a head to head between a 9-7 and 7-9 team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
... as a head coach he reeks of Imposter Syndrome

That’s too harsh. He had modest success on the field, and he left after four years with the overwhelming respect of his players and staff. He was simply too passive or patient in addressing problems in the running game. And with Mayhew letting Suh get away, and Quinn prioritizing OL additions over DL help, his defense was undermanned up front. He just didn’t ever give the indication that the team under his leadership would be more than the sum of its parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shelton said:

A good ravens team lost to the bengals at home, too, throwing away their chance at the playoffs. 

The bengals finished 7-9. The lions and ravens finished 9-7. 

Yes, Cincinnati isn't as bad as their record indicates. But isn't it better the Lions lost and fired Caldwell than to have won, squeaked into the 8 seed, and gotten blown away on the road in the WC round and keeping Caldwell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, Cincinnati isn't as bad as their record indicates. But isn't it better the Lions lost and fired Caldwell than to have won, squeaked into the 8 seed, and gotten blown away on the road in the WC round and keeping Caldwell?

To be honest with ourselves, Caldwell isn't really the problem. The problem is their overall talent level is slightly above average. Quinn needs to keep building for them to improve. Both lines were flawed this year, and that was the biggest problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we're not Bengals fans. 

15 years of their version of Caldwell with a 2 year extension to boot. Ouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NYLion said:

At least we're not Bengals fans. 

15 years of their version of Caldwell with a 2 year extension to boot. Ouch

That's why their stadium is empty every week, too. Their ownership is just mailing it in at this point and just don't care anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is it possible that Jim Caldwell has not received one request for an interview?  His defenders say he was such a great coach...you'd think teams would be lining up to hire him.  Truth is, he was carried by Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford, and everyone in the NFL knows it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, azzurri said:

How is it possible that Jim Caldwell has not received one request for an interview?  His defenders say he was such a great coach...you'd think teams would be lining up to hire him.  Truth is, he was carried by Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford, and everyone in the NFL knows it.

Did the details of his 'extension' ever become public? If the Lions owe him for another year  maybe he'd rather get paid for not working than for working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, azzurri said:

How is it possible that Jim Caldwell has not received one request for an interview?  His defenders say he was such a great coach...

His defenders actually say that?  How many are there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Did the details of his 'extension' ever become public? If the Lions owe him for another year  maybe he'd rather get paid for not working than for working?

It was reported it was for next year. 

He's a failed Lions coach, those guys never get another shot (well Schwartz might be the first), but I don't think anyone had delusions of Cladwell getting another HC job, but OC is possible especially for a squad with a first-time HC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

It was reported it was for next year. 

He's a failed Lions coach, those guys never get another shot (well Schwartz might be the first), but I don't think anyone had delusions of Cladwell getting another HC job, but OC is possible especially for a squad with a first-time HC

Dick Jaron is technically the first to get another shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It was reported it was for next year. 

He's a failed Lions coach, those guys never get another shot (well Schwartz might be the first), but I don't think anyone had delusions of Cladwell getting another HC job, but OC is possible especially for a squad with a first-time HC

Wouldn’t surprise me if Austin looked for a HC gig in the college ranks. He’s not going to get an NFL position this time around, and the way things end up in Detroit may leave him without a coordinator gig. (Same with Marinelli by the way.)

 

Schwartz will get another HC gig (but without a player like Suh to distract him; those two guys exacerbated one another’s worst tendencies), and Cooter has a bright future.

 

Seems like the Lions are finally turning the corner and becoming a mediocre NFL franchise that can attract mediocre coaching talent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×