Jump to content

RatkoVarda

Caldwell fired

Recommended Posts

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21931331/head-coach-jim-caldwell-detroit-lions-fired

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - The Detroit Lions have fired head coach Jim Caldwell after four seasons with the franchise, less than a year after he signed an extension to remain with the club.

The team made the announcement on Monday morning.

The move comes despite Caldwell, 62, having winning seasons in three of his four years with the Lions. But the Lions missed the playoffs twice in the past three years, including in 2017 when they went 9-7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21931331/head-coach-jim-caldwell-detroit-lions-fired

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - The Detroit Lions have fired head coach Jim Caldwell after four seasons with the franchise, less than a year after he signed an extension to remain with the club.

The team made the announcement on Monday morning.

The move comes despite Caldwell, 62, having winning seasons in three of his four years with the Lions. But the Lions missed the playoffs twice in the past three years, including in 2017 when they went 9-7.

Of course,  I hope they are right that the team has the talent to have won more games than they did with a different coach, but I'm skeptical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open Jobs........so far

 

Chicago 
Detroit
NY Giants
Arizona
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Oakland
 

 

Probably open......
Denver
Houston
 

 

Maybe.....
Baltimore
 


 

A lot of changes coming.   Teryl Austin probably gets a Head Coaching job somewhere like Arizona, Cincinnati or Oakland. 

And something could happen that hasn't happened in my lifetime (I think).  A former Lions Head Coach will get another Head Coaching gig.  Jim Schwartz is a leading candidate in the NY Giants job.    

 

This is Quinn's chance to REALLY put his stamp on the team.   7th in the league in Cap Space,  Picking 20th they have a chance to draft 2 starting players and with their cap space can probably sign 2-3 good starting players and still have room for depth guys that Quinn seems to find for cheap and with HIS coach.   He should be contending by 2019 if he's the right guy.   

Shopping List - Starters

Running Back

Interior Offensive Lineman

Defensive Tackle

Defensive End

Linebacker


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I can rest in the knowledge 9-7 isn't good enough for the Lions.

That is nice to know.     Bill Sr. would not have made a change after 9-7 and he didn't even LOVE Jim Caldwell like Marth Vader.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy he's gone, props to him for by all accounts being a great person who helped the players personally a lot. Sadly, as everyone with a job has learned, nice doesn't always equal competence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the Lions overachieved under Caldwell. Had they gone 7-9, 9-7 (No Playoffs), 9-7 (playoff loss to Seattle), and then 11-5 losing a playoff game they were screwed out of, he would probably still be around. He came in and overachieved his first season and the expectations were set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can stop suggesting Martha is choosing whether or not coaches get fired.  

Good for Quinn.  Decided Caldwell simply wasn't going to get the job done by running on 1st and 15 and 2nd and 18. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought the Lions overachieved under Caldwell. Had they gone 7-9, 9-7 (No Playoffs), 9-7 (playoff loss to Seattle), and then 11-5 losing a playoff game they were screwed out of, he would probably still be around. He came in and overachieved his first season and the expectations were set.

He didn't overachieve the first season. He had Suh demolishing offensive lines and leading a defense that was #1 against the run, #2 in yards allowed and #3 in points allowed. And he had Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate both topping 1,000 yards receiving. That was a good team. If anything it underachieved. 

He has had plenty of chances to win something - a division, a playoff game, even a game against the Bungles to keep the team's playoff hopes alive. He couldn't do it. Quinn would be remiss if he did not move on from Caldwell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Face splitting grin. Finally. Should've happened last year. Should've never been hired.

Good RIDDANCE 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought the Lions overachieved under Caldwell. Had they gone 7-9, 9-7 (No Playoffs), 9-7 (playoff loss to Seattle), and then 11-5 losing a playoff game they were screwed out of, he would probably still be around. He came in and overachieved his first season and the expectations were set.

The local writers all had us anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 in the preseason. Then the same idiots screamed that he under achieved. Gotta love it. 

I'm fine with him going because I trust Quinn, but he's under a ton of pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

He didn't overachieve the first season. He had Suh demolishing offensive lines and leading a defense that was #1 against the run, #2 in yards allowed and #3 in points allowed. And he had Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate both topping 1,000 yards receiving. That was a good team. If anything it underachieved. 

He has had plenty of chances to win something - a division, a playoff game, even a game against the Bungles to keep the team's playoff hopes alive. He couldn't do it. Quinn would be remiss if he did not move on from Caldwell.

Maybe, but the same D the year before didnt' look like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it. Should have happened two years ago, but at least it happened. Good for Quinn. Finally looking up for the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the lions overachieved the last two years, thanks to stafford.  i thought caldwell did a decent job but it was probably time to go in another direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the right move.  Truth be told, Caldwell did an ok job all things considered and he seemed like a really good man that the players respected but we need this franchise to be at the point where 4 seasons without a playoff victory isn't good enough and I think it's a real good sign that Quinn isn't willing to settle for mediocrity.

I don't know if Patricia or whoever they are considering is the right answer but I think there's a limit to how far this team could have gone with Caldwell.  They need a high ceiling coach, somebody who's wiling to adapt to the times, be creative, take chances.  Now we wait....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many in-game coaching blunders, too many slow starts in the first half, too many times the team look ill-prepared to start the game and an inability to seal the deal when it matters. These were the major reasons why I think moving on from Caldwell is the right decision. Thanks for getting this team into the playoffs more than once Jim, you can join the ranks of the heralded Wayne Fontes with that statistic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Happy he's gone, props to him for by all accounts being a great person who helped the players personally a lot. Sadly, as everyone with a job has learned, nice doesn't always equal competence.

I agree with this take.  Caldwell did a decent job, and it's entirely possible that they pick a worse HC.  But it was time for a change...time for Bob Q to pick his own guy and make his mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Lions head coach, Jim Caldwell has a 4-25 record against teams who finish the season with a winning record. (This stat includes ATL, CAR, NO, MIN, PIT, BAL this year)

 

That is a pretty telling statistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That they were 32 and 5 against other teams may indicate that they underachieved against winning teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Happy he's gone, props to him for by all accounts being a great person who helped the players personally a lot. Sadly, as everyone with a job has learned, nice doesn't always equal competence.

And he understands a head coach is hired to be fired. A good man, IMO. But Quin did the right thing. Within 2 years, we should have a deep playoff run. Maybe next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Happy he's gone, props to him for by all accounts being a great person who helped the players personally a lot. Sadly, as everyone with a job has learned, nice doesn't always equal competence.

his children won't starve on the salary of a top NFL assistant even if he never gets another HC job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

his children won't starve on the salary of a top NFL assistant even if he never gets another HC job.

He's been a head coach for 7 seasons and an assistant for many other. I would hope his kids wouldn't starve if he never does anything ever again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

He's been a head coach for 7 seasons and an assistant for many other. I would hope his kids wouldn't starve if he never does anything ever again.

Yes, this is true - at 62 he should be able to walk away. And he certainly doesn't appear like the extravagant sort that would have blown his stake does he? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now