Motor City Sonics

NFL Playoff Predictions

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So I am clear about my position, if Stafford isn't good enough or doesn't play well enough to be successful in the play-offs, then that is the argument.

His salary is largely -> entirely independent of that.

Stafford for Bortles and a 1st haha?

24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Maybe maybe not. My point is that there was time. Whether they would have been able keep him in bounds is difficult to say. He was close enough that he had a very good chance to get out of bounds. 

Also, let's not forget that would have also required Minnesota to make a field goal to win. Given their history that is no small task. 

6 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Also, let's not forget that would have also required Minnesota to make a field goal to win. Given their history that is no small task. 

Sure. They would still have to make the field goal. I’m not sure their history has much to do with anything. They made one a couple minutes earlier. 

I don’t blame Williams for wanting to make a big hit, especially because an incompletion there or taking his legs out wins the game.

I don't think Diggs make it out of bounds in 4 seconds. The Saints had a CB on the sideline that Williams took out with his hit. It would have been hard to fight through a two defenders to the sideline in 4 seconds. 

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think Diggs make it out of bounds in 4 seconds. The Saints had a CB on the sideline that Williams took out with his hit. It would have been hard to fight through a two defenders to the sideline in 4 seconds. 

He did have a lot of momentum taking him toward the sideline, though, and Williams was moving in that direction also. 

I think the bigger issue would have been keeping his balance as Williams would potentially be tackling him. He almost went down in bounds without being touched, so even one hand on him could have been enough to have his knee hit the ground. 

19 hours ago, Jason_R said:

He better take the Greyhound Bus back to New Orleans. I cannot imagine being him on that flight.

Probably a tad unfair. I know it's easier for me to say since I'm not a Saints fan, but I always hate when a player receives so much of the blame just because it was at the end of the game.

He also got an interception that started the comeback, if the offense had gotten another first down on the drive before, and kicked the FG at the last second, they win and Minnesota doesn't get the ball back. If the offense did ANYTHING in the first half they probably win. Yes, I understand why mistakes get amplified when they happen on the last play, but it doesn't make it fair.

I don't follow the Saints at all, but by most accounts the kid is a very talented young player who made one terrible mistake that if it happened on any other drive would only warrant a sentence or two in the summary. Instead the guy is going to get grilled for the next year (or many more).

• Like 1

Yeah, it basically boils down to “you screwed up because you didn’t allow the guy to catch the ball and then tackle him inbounds.” I feel bad for him because he’s just trying to make the play and prevent the catch. It takes like one second for the ball to leave the QB and get to the receiver, and he was already reading it and getting to where he needed to be. If he plays it safe or prevent style or whatever, the guy simply steps out of bounds and you’re sitting there hoping the kicker misses the field goal (and your defense gets roasted for giving up a 25 yard pass or whatever to allow the Vikings into field goal range).

I don't think he gets out of bounds that quickly. If Diggs feet hit the ground with 4 seconds, that means he really has 3 seconds to get out of bounds because there needs to be at least 1 second left to run another play. If Williams plays softer, he also has the CB on the sideline. I just don't see Diggs making it out of bounds in 3 seconds with 2 defenders impeding his path to the sideline. All Williams would have to do is hold Diggs jersey long enough to burn a second or two. 

I want nothing more than the Vikings to lose.  

Pick six for the eagles and it's a tie ball game.  

Shocker...NE won...the entire time I was watching that game (yes really) I never thought NE was in danger of losing.  Ever.  I thought it was cute that Jacksonville put up the points and was ahead, but I swear to god I never thought NE was going to lose....it was a weird feeling and the COMPLETE opposite one I have every time I watch a Lions game.

10 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Shocker...NE won...the entire time I was watching that game (yes really) I never thought NE was in danger of losing.  Ever.  I thought it was cute that Jacksonville put up the points and was ahead, but I swear to god I never thought NE was going to lose....it was a weird feeling and the COMPLETE opposite one I have every time I watch a Lions game.

I thought NE was in danger once Gronk went out. Jax appeared the stronger, faster team all day. The refs also played their part. They missed a fairly blatant  PI against Jax that killed an early NE drive, but then hit Jax hard on the Pats 4th Qtr drive. Those were good calls, but you still never know if they are going to be made.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I thought NE was in danger once Gronk went out. Jax appeared the stronger, faster team all day. The refs also played their part. They missed a fairly blatant  PI against Jax that killed an early NE drive, but then hit Jax hard on the Pats 4th Qtr drive. Those were good calls, but you still never know if they are going to be made.

NE went 87 yards on one scoring drive and 48 of it was on penalties.  The Gronk hit was a penalty all day...the PI was debatable.  Those are calls a good team gets...the first one everyone gets...the PI not everyone gets.  It is just the way it is.  There were more than just those 2 as well...up until that point they had like 2 penalties and then all of a sudden the flags came out.

And even when Gronk went out I just thought 'ok well now someone else will get the ball or Belichick will simply change his game plan and it may even help them.

That PI at the end of the second quarter was clearly a penalty.  The specific cause was "(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball."  Bouye drove Cooks to the sideline and prevented him from coming back to the ball without looking back.

5a6609a9469bc_ScreenShot2018-01-22at10_55_58AM.png.bbf09d5a8f6f8f04fa8bf84c0aec4e35.png