mickeyb105

The 2018 Outback Bowl: Michigan vs South Carolina

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Oh give me a break.

Why can't you admit that this season was a disappointment?

I just can't afford to place that kind of energy on CFB  right now. 

Does sitting through crappy weather for several hours to watch the college team I root for lose make me happy?  Not really, but on to the next one. 

I do understand that not everyone enjoys the process of watching a program go through growth (which, at times, comes with regression). 

51 minutes ago, Buddha said:

That being said, good teams figure out a way to win.  It's a cliché but its true.  MSU didn't have problems on their oline?  They sure did, and they don't have the bevy of 4 star kids like Michigan.  They won anyway.  Ohio State isn't perfect at every position, but they win.  Penn State's oline has been terrible for the last few years and they have an amazing offense.  Why not Michigan?  

TBH, I have my doubts M is going to travel in PSU, OSU or even Wisconsin circles again soon - I think it's generational and cultural. UM is not a middle class institution anymore. I don't see the kind of energy in the student body over sports that existed in the glory days, and that is probably also a subtle factor in recruiting that flies well below the awareness of the adults running the process. In fact I don't see much energy around the athletic program anywhere around the University outside the program itself. Even if Harbaugh manages a few big wins for a few yrs, longer term I think we are in for another Bump Elliot era and the interesting question will be what happens when they can't sell enough tickets to cover expenses- will they succumb and cheat to rebuild, or let the program slide into a gentile shabbiness - sort of like Berkeley with the Bears. The segment of the institutional community that UM has shifted into,  and  in which it aspires to a leadership position, are not places that put as high a priority on revenue athletics as UM has in the past. I think that influence is inevitable.

Plus on a more mundane note, HS football in MI sucks and Dantonio seems to have the better pipelines for what in-state talent there is.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Your oline comment doesn't work.  He's had three recruiting classes.  His first oline recruits will be redshirt sophomores next year not 5th year guys.  Michigan's oline recruiting has missed big time on some big players and its left them without much depth or talent.  That's what's killing them.  The worst sins of the Hoke regime sunk Michigan this year and are preventing them from being an elite school (oline and QB recruiting).

That being said, good teams figure out a way to win.  It's a cliché but its true.  MSU didn't have problems on their oline?  They sure did, and they don't have the bevy of 4 star kids like Michigan.  They won anyway.  Ohio State isn't perfect at every position, but they win.  Penn State's oline has been terrible for the last few years and they have an amazing offense.  Why not Michigan?  

Harbaugh looked creative on offense last year even with a QB who wasn't very good.  This year?  He looked horrible.  Absolutely terrible.

It's going to be a long summer of Sparty, Bucky, Child Molestor U, and the Biting Irish having a good go at Michigan.  And they'll all be right.  Until we can beat ANYONE of substance, Michigan has to shut up and face the music.

Yep.

I just can’t muster up any emotion related to this game. I watched most of it, before taking my kids to the movies. Would have preferred a win, but whatever. Nothing that happened in this game changes anything about this season or the next. It was a bad season of football. Hopefully next year is better. I think it will be. 

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I just can’t muster up any emotion related to this game

You're not the only one. How long before these games that don't even sell half (heck - I don't think it was 1/3) of the seats in the stadium just have to go away?

OTOH - it was kinda fun that the school colors of both OKLA and GEOR are red. Cute seeing the Rose Bowl completely 'redded' out. Very appropriately 'rosey' looking.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You're not the only one. How long before these games that don't even sell half (heck - I don't think it was 1/3) of the seats in the stadium just have to go away?

Probably not for a long time. They still make plenty of money for everyone involved (aside from the schools). The schools keeping taking losses on these individual games, but they don’t seem to care. 

If people stop watching the games enough that ESPN can’t make enough money from advertisers, they will stop paying much for the tv rights, and the organizers may end up making less money. 

The stadium definitely wasn't packed yesterday, and if I had to guess was not as full as it was for the Outback Bowl years back when the Cocks faced off against Michigan.  I think this was the fourth Outback Bowl I've been to.  Went to Iowa/UF maybe in 2006 and Michigan/Tennessee for that secondary stinkfest.   

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

Your oline comment doesn't work.  He's had three recruiting classes.  His first oline recruits will be redshirt sophomores next year not 5th year guys.  Michigan's oline recruiting has missed big time on some big players and its left them without much depth or talent.  That's what's killing them.  The worst sins of the Hoke regime sunk Michigan this year and are preventing them from being an elite school (oline and QB recruiting).

Harbaugh looked creative on offense last year even with a QB who wasn't very good.  This year?  He looked horrible.  Absolutely terrible.

It's going to be a long summer of Sparty, Bucky, Child Molestor U, and the Biting Irish having a good go at Michigan.  And they'll all be right.  Until we can beat ANYONE of substance, Michigan has to shut up and face the music.

This year the pass-catching/playmaking seemed non-existant.....the combination of two short-armed QBs (JOK and Peters) and a bad OL left us with more of West Coast offense, at best.  Surprising part is that McDoom and DPJ and our backs didn't have more playmaking ability after the catch.  I don't know what the stats are on YAC, but it seemed like we broke more running plays wide open than passing plays in traffic.

That OL needs to be a lot better next year or I'm not sure it matters who is at QB or WR.

It also seemed like SC successfully attacked Peters' passing lanes with body positioning and active arms/hands.  Without the ability to pass protect and go long over the top, the bad passing lanes also seemed to stop our passing offense cold.

A disappointment? 

This season was an embarrassment.    Michigan's best win,  the best team they beat was Purdue (7-6).   All the other wins came against teams with losing records.     

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

A disappointment? 

This season was an embarrassment.    Michigan's best win,  the best team they beat was Purdue (7-6).   All the other wins came against teams with losing records.     

Are you embarrassed? Who’s embarrassed?

I'm angry.  Jim Harbaugh should be embarrassed.  The entire coaching staff.    They were no better in Game 13 than they were in Game 3 or 4.    We thought the Florida game was impressive at the time it was played but that team turned out to be awful and a bunch of players were suspended for the first game anyway.     How do you not get better over the course of a full season and not be embarrassed?    How do you have 2 million-dollar assistants on the Offensive side and the offense looks like Pioneer High School and not be embarrassed?   The Walking Headline needs wins - good wins, not cupcakes.  

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm angry.  Jim Harbaugh should be embarrassed.  The entire coaching staff.    They were no better in Game 13 than they were in Game 3 or 4.    We thought the Florida game was impressive at the time it was played but that team turned out to be awful and a bunch of players were suspended for the first game anyway.     How do you not get better over the course of a full season and not be embarrassed?    How do you have 2 million-dollar assistants on the Offensive side and the offense looks like Pioneer High School and not be embarrassed?   The Walking Headline needs wins - good wins, not cupcakes.  

By the end of yesterday, only Mason Cole was left amongst the original OL starters and the third-string QB to start the season was pressed into starting.  Black, Eubanks, Perry and McDoom were gone from the receiving corps.  The starting FB Hill was out shortly after the start of the game and Isaac--a starter part of the year--remained out.

The team has nothing to be ashamed of with that kind of attrition.

14 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

By the end of yesterday, only Mason Cole was left amongst the original OL starters and the third-string QB to start the season was pressed into starting.  Black, Eubanks, Perry and McDoom were gone from the receiving corps.  The starting FB Hill was out shortly after the start of the game and Isaac--a starter part of the year--remained out.

The team has nothing to be ashamed of with that kind of attrition.

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses.      Look at the playcalling.    Speight and O'Korn were just as bad when they played.    

Oh look, they're going to Paris in the spring.   How quaint.  I am sure we'll be inundated with headlines about the trip.     Maybe they should focus on their trip to South Bend and that's it.      Can't wait for the kooky summer recruiting stories.   Maybe Jimmy will dress up as the Bloomin' Onion...........

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses.      Look at the playcalling.    Speight and O'Korn were just as bad when they played.    

Oh look, their going to Paris in the spring.   How quaint.  I am sure we'll be inundated with headlines about the trip.     Maybe they should focus on their trip to South Bend and that's it.      Can't wait for the kooky summer recruiting stories.   Maybe Jimmy will dress up as the Bloomin' Onion...........

Have you ever played organized football?

Peters took a beating similar to the one Speight took at the Orange Bowl last year.  I hope the new RBs Harbaugh recruited can black, because Higdon cannot.

OB4018

OB1018OB1418

OB3218

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, mickeyb105 said:

Have you ever played organized football?

He thinks the format of the message board is his radio show.