Motor City Sonics

So, excluding Miggy.......Who's YOUR Tiger?

Not counting Miggy here since that would probably be a runaway.   

Who is the Tiger that you are most exciting about seeing in 2018?   

Is it a Major Leaguer you expect to break out?   

Is it a young player that will get playing time good year or bad?   

Is it a minor leaguer that will probably not step on a big league diamond in 2018?   

Who's YOUR Tiger?   

If the question is "Who is the Tiger that you are most excited about seeing in 2018?",   I do not think Cabrera would win in a run away.  I am going to say Candelario.  I don't think he is as good as he showed in the majors last year, but I am excited to see how good he is.   

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If the question is "Who is the Tiger that you are most excited about seeing in 2018?",   I do not think Cabrera would win in a run away.  I am going to say Candelario.  I don't think he is as good as he showed in the majors last year, but I am excited to see how good he is.   

I agree with you on Candelario, as it is exciting to me to see if this reportedly high-floor/mid-ceiling prospect levels off or even dips quite a bit.

Two others:

--I want to see a full year of Mahtook in a corner OF spot and in the heart of the lineup.  Is there growth left?  Can he hold steady at .275 and give us .825ish OPS?

--Will the real Daniel Norris stand up?  Is he a setup man waiting to happen?  Can he get back to his projected mid-rotation magician status and keep it?  I want to believe, but it is getting tougher.

Good thread topic. 

At the MLB level I’m going to stay with my pick for 2017, Daniel Norris. He lured me in the last six weeks of 2016 and then imploded last year. Big Mahtook fan as well. Was stoked when they signed him and pleased when he did as well as he did. So, Norris and Mahtook are my Who’s Your Tiger? guys for 2018.

Minor leagues, I’m watching Daz Cameron. The minors are going to be interesting this year. Cam Gibson is a sentimental pick to follow as well.

People could still be excited about seeing a bounce back year from Miggy.   Especially if that increases the chances of a trade haul in July (Tigers would have to cover half the bill,  which I am sure they would since dropping the payroll is all that matters now).     I think Dave Dombrowski will absolutely take a shot at Miggy if he still needs a bat with power.      If the Red Sox don't sign J.D. first.   

Machado can be another one to watch. If we give him 400 AB can he put up a .320 OBP. If he can than he can man Short for at least another year. 

52 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Daz Cameron or Isaac Paredes - whichever one makes MLB 1st.

I doubt we will see them in the majors, but I agree those are the two position player prospects who are the most exciting to watch in 2018.  They both have a chance to break out into very interesting prospects.  

I would like to see Victor Perez remain a Tiger and become a starter even though he was not my choice for the Rule 5.  I liked Tarpley and the other Perez but hope the Tiger scouts know more than me..

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I doubt we will see them in the majors, but I agree those are the two position player prospects who are the most exciting to watch in 2018.  They both have a chance to break out into very interesting prospects.  

Just ran across this:   From the Athletic - pay site.

Isaac Paredes: The only Tigers prospect in the Mexican Winter League, Paredes is creating plenty of production to write home about all on his own.

In his last 10 games for Yaquis de Obregon, Paredes is slashing .400/.463/.543 with five doubles and five RBIs. Carrying a 10.8 strikeout percentage through the 13 games since his arrival, Paredes has hit safely in five of his last six games for a total of 10 hits overall.

Offensive consistency will continue to be a growth point moving forward for Paredes, who has shown no difficulty in putting the barrel on the ball. He displays solid plate discipline, not tipping over a 15.4 strikeout percentage since he debuted in the Cubs system in 2016.

Bats stay hot for Edwin Espinal, Sergio Alcantara in Dominican Winter League

I'm extremely bullish on Daniel Norris and still have faith in him so he's somebody I'm really intrigued to watch.  I still feel he has the stuff and pedigree to be a high end number 2 or even number 1.   

It's not an apples to apples comparison but I like to look at what happened with Danny Duffy and hope that could be Norris.  Both were highly ranked lefties with great stuff but struggled with command.  It took Duffy a few years in the majors to figure it out and now he is a pretty good pitcher who at times has been a dominating pitcher.   

I still feel Norris has the ability to end up like that or even better.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

The Tiger I'm looking forward to seeing the most next summer is Alan Trammell.

I think they'll go with Machado at SS if they trade Iggy.

4 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I think they'll go with Machado at SS if they trade Iggy.

Trammell probably doesn't have the athleticism he had when he was younger.  He might have to move to second base.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Trammell probably doesn't have the athleticism he had when he was younger.  He might have to move to second base.  

Will he wear #1?   #3 is being retired.

20 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Will he wear #1?   #3 is being retired.

Could he go back to #42 since technically he wore it before it was unilaterally retired?