Sydney_Fife

Avery Bradley accused of sexual assault

So if I’m reading this correctly. 

Bradley was accused of sexual assault in May on a woman who was passed out drunk. 

She accuses him of misconduct, the 2 sides sit down and make a formal agreement stating that Bradley didn’t do anything wrong and the woman gets a check for at most $400,000. 

There has to be some kind of breach of contract on this, right? Sounds like it was a confedential agreement. I wonder how it get leaked. 

Does the NBA suspend Bradley? The agreement did say he didn’t do anything wrong. Weird 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I wonder if the Celtics knew something.

Worse, if SVG knew something. 

These topics are impossible to discuss. Did he assault someone? Did he not and it was a shakedown? If he did, should he be disciplined by the league? Should he be playing for your favorite team? Should he be disciplined based on the accusation and the settlement? Did the NBA, Celtics, or pistons already know about this and was there an investigation already? If he remains with the pistons, should we still root for him? How do you separate rooting for a sports team and rooting against an abuser that plays for your team?

It’s a lot easier to shut out creeps and rapists and criminals in Hollywood or the media or the corporate world when they are revealed. You can get another actor to take Kevin spacey roles. You can get another producer to make movies instead of Weinstein. If you have already seen house of cards, you don’t need to see it again. If you haven’t seen it, no reason to start now. 

But with sports it is different. There is no mechanism for easily replacing a player under contract that did something like this. And for the most part people root for teams, not players. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

But with sports it is different. There is no mechanism for easily replacing a player under contract that did something like this. And for the most part people root for teams, not players. 

plus a worker with a collective bargaining agreement he has whatever due process rights that agreement stipulates. Kind of ironic if it turns out public opinion can force a legislator out his job without a hearing but not an athlete.

SVG building his team just like the 2004 squad. He now has his guard that paid a woman off after she accused him of sexual assault.

Has any of this been proven as fact?  If not, innocent until proven guilty. 

I don't want to get too into it because harassment is a very touchy subject but there seems to be a lot of guilty until proven innocent going on in this country so I say let the process play out and then determine if how severe the penalty should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Has any of this been proven as fact?  If not, innocent until proven guilty. 

I don't want to get too into it because harassment is a very touchy subject but there seems to be a lot of guilty until proven innocent going on in this country so I say let the process play out and then determine if how severe the penalty should be.

exactly. 

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

These topics are impossible to discuss. Did he assault someone? Did he not and it was a shakedown? If he did, should he be disciplined by the league? Should he be playing for your favorite team? Should he be disciplined based on the accusation and the settlement? Did the NBA, Celtics, or pistons already know about this and was there an investigation already? If he remains with the pistons, should we still root for him? How do you separate rooting for a sports team and rooting against an abuser that plays for your team?

It’s a lot easier to shut out creeps and rapists and criminals in Hollywood or the media or the corporate world when they are revealed. You can get another actor to take Kevin spacey roles. You can get another producer to make movies instead of Weinstein. If you have already seen house of cards, you don’t need to see it again. If you haven’t seen it, no reason to start now. 

i dont give two squirts what any of those people do in their own time.  kevin spacey is a good actor and i like watching him work, i dont give a **** what he does in his private life.  same with mike tyson or avery bradley or whomever.  entertain me, what you do when youre not entertaining me is your own business.

this social media universe fascination with outing people's private lives and ruining their careers is ridiculous and harmful.  

and as someone who works in the lawsuit industry, let me tell you, settlements are reached all the time in instances where no one did anything wrong.  none of us have any idea what happened and i would hate to have someone's name dragged through the mud for something that might or might not have happened.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont give two squirts what any of those people do in their own time.  kevin spacey is a good actor and i like watching him work, i dont give a **** what he does in his private life.  same with mike tyson or avery bradley or whomever.  entertain me, what you do when youre not entertaining me is your own business.

You don't care if they rape someone in their free time, as long as they entertain you?  9_9

21 minutes ago, azzurri said:

You don't care if they rape someone in their free time, as long as they entertain you?  9_9

if they raped someone, its a criminal matter that will be determined by the courts.  until that determination is made, i have no idea what happend and neither do you.  a man should be allowed to work until his case is adjudicated in a court of law, and allowed to work after he served his time.  

in the interim its just hearsay.

do you not like chauncey billups?  kobe bryant? they paid settlements to people who accused them of assault.  what crimes or behaviors can one be accused of that would warrant not wanting to see them work again?  sexual assault?  dui?  fraud? battery?

what you do on your own time is your own business.  if you committed a crime, you should go to jail.  if not, i dont care.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

this social media universe fascination with outing people's private lives and ruining their careers is ridiculous and harmful.  

and as someone who works in the lawsuit industry, let me tell you, settlements are reached all the time in instances where no one did anything wrong.  none of us have any idea what happened and i would hate to have someone's name dragged through the mud for something that might or might not have happened.

This is how I am, Tiger Woods is my favorite athlete of all time and when his scandal broke several years ago it didn't make me like him as an ATHLETE any less.  I also hear how he is a total d*ck off the course and people wonder how I could possibly like him so much.  I say because he's not somebody I hang out with, in that case then yeah I wouldn't like somebody that is an *******, I like him because as an avid golfer he has entertained me greatly the past twenty years and really that is all I care about when it comes to my fandom.  

25 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This is how I am, Tiger Woods is my favorite athlete of all time and when his scandal broke several years ago it didn't make me like him as an ATHLETE any less.  I also hear how he is a total d*ck off the course and people wonder how I could possibly like him so much.  I say because he's not somebody I hang out with, in that case then yeah I wouldn't like somebody that is an *******, I like him because as an avid golfer he has entertained me greatly the past twenty years and really that is all I care about when it comes to my fandom.  

From what I gather, Tiger Woods has never been accused of assault on a female.  Yes, there is a viewpoint that his sex addiction/fidelity issues make him a terrible person and I get that.  However, I can't put him in the same category as these athletes who abuse women.

I would go as far as to feel sorry for him because of his inability to escape his insecurities.

And of course it takes nothing away from Tiger's accomplishments on the golf course, as the guy had a stranglehold on the game like a select few ever have--or will.

The story in the link below was powerful to me as a very casual golf fan, but someone who was curious how Tiger spent his spare time.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

26 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

From what I gather, Tiger Woods has never been accused of assault on a female.  Yes, there is a viewpoint that his sex addiction/fidelity issues make him a terrible person and I get that.  However, I can't put him in the same category as these athletes who abuse women.

I would go as far as to feel sorry for him because of his inability to escape his insecurities.

And of course it takes nothing away from Tiger's accomplishments on the golf course, as the guy had a stranglehold on the game like a select few ever have--or will.

The story in the link below was powerful to me as a very casual golf fan, but someone who was curious how Tiger spent his spare time.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

Yeah - At this point Tiger strikes me as more a lost soul than a bad guy. He's maybe not the best example for the discussion.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - At this point Tiger strikes me as more a lost soul than a bad guy. He's maybe not the best example for the discussion.

Tiger strikes me as a guy who liked to bang hot chicks.

Do you know how many athletes are out there banging hot chicks even though they're married?  If your criteria - and I'm not saying you said this - is players who cheat on their wives aren't worth rooting for, then you'd need to exclude 90% of the league from your favorite player lists.

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Do you know how many athletes are out there banging hot chicks even though they're married?  If your criteria - and I'm not saying you said this - is players who cheat on their wives aren't worth rooting for, then you'd need to exclude 90% of the league from your favorite player lists.

I wonder what % of the L is married.  I suspect it is south of 50%. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

And hot chicks may seek the company of Alpha males. Both possibly true but we're wandering off the point as to whether Tiger or any athlete's behavior was harassment or rape. Tiger is a screwed up dude, but as far as I remember hearing Mickey's point holds that Tiger hasn't been accused of non-consensual sex or harassment.  

I think you can draw a distinction between behavior you might find immoral but that is mutually consensual, and that which is assaultive or abusive to one of the parties. The first is a private matter, possibly open to attempts at private persuasion such as church preaching for example,  the latter becomes a public matter possibly subject to state enforcement (e.g. civil or even criminal litigation/action) if you view it as a society's  obligation to provide means to protect people from abuse.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And hot chicks may seek the company of Alpha males. Both possibly true but we're wandering off the point as to whether Tiger or any athlete's behavior was harassment or rape. Tiger is a screwed up dude, but as far as I remember hearing Mickey's point holds that Tiger hasn't been accused of non-consensual sex or harassment.  

I think you can draw a distinction between behavior you might find immoral but that is mutually consensual, and that which is assaultive or abusive to one of the parties. The first is a private matter, possibly open to attempts at private persuasion such as church preaching for example,  the latter becomes a public matter possibly subject to state enforcement (e.g. civil or even criminal litigation/action) if you view it as a society's  obligation to provide means to protect people from abuse.

again, thats what law enforcement is for.  if there has been criminal action, thr court system should take care of it.  until then, its all hearsay.

There’s no record of it in Cleveland police records. 

There has to be some form of breach of contract with this, no?

2 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

There’s no record of it in Cleveland police records. 

There has to be some form of breach of contract with this, no?

At the least, if you take the $$ and sign the confidentiality agreement and then start talking you owe the money back. 

This means nothing to me. Athletes, movie stars, politicians, musicians, and others with lots of money/power will always have accusations against them. Some will be legitimate, others will simply be people trying to get some of their money/power.

When the courts decide a crime was committed, then I'll let it influence my opinion of them...unless it's Kobe, in which case I couldn't stand the guy anyway :D