Sydney_Fife

Avery Bradley accused of sexual assault

On 12/29/2017 at 9:48 PM, Buddha said:

i dont give two squirts what any of those people do in their own time.  kevin spacey is a good actor and i like watching him work, i dont give a **** what he does in his private life.  same with mike tyson or avery bradley or whomever.  entertain me, what you do when youre not entertaining me is your own business.

this social media universe fascination with outing people's private lives and ruining their careers is ridiculous and harmful.  

and as someone who works in the lawsuit industry, let me tell you, settlements are reached all the time in instances where no one did anything wrong.  none of us have any idea what happened and i would hate to have someone's name dragged through the mud for something that might or might not have happened.

I suppose I mostly agree with this, although I don’t think I agree that it is as black and white as you are making it out to be. But I understand that it is your opinion so if you want to treat it as black and white, that’s your choice. 

To me, I’m comfortable deciding that I don’t want to watch or root for a guy if it feels likely that he did something like sexual assault or domestic assault. But it’s not something where I think I can define a bright line. 

I agree that what people do in their personal life is their business and separate from my interest in watching and rooting for them. I don’t care care if a guy cheats on his wife or is deadbeat dad. Or if he abuses drugs or alcohol. Or if he beat up some dude outside a bar. I mean, I care and I wish that he wouldn’t have done the criminal things, but I can easily ignore that and just be entertained. Heck, I’m ok rooting for a guy on the field/court if he groped a woman waiting in line. 

But it starts to get pretty fuzzy when it ventures into the sexual or domestic assault realm. And I know accusations aren’t proof, and settlements aren’t admissions of guilt. But in many cases there is enough smoke to feel confident there is fire, at least confident enough that I have no problem personally thinking the guy did the thing and that I don’t like watching him. 

I just don’t particularly want to watch an awful human, regardless of how entertaining they might be. But again, it’s a spectrum and I’m probably pretty inconsistent about it anyway. 

I don’t need to see Kevin spacey in any new films. I’m good. I don’t need to see Matt Lauer anymore. I’m happy to never have had to root for ray rice.

on the other hand, I hope Louis CK puts out another comedy special soon. 

I don’t even remember the details of the Bradley allegation anymore. The point of my earlier post was mostly to just discuss the internal tension that arises when a good player on the team you root for ends up being accused of something like this, and not wanting to support that player while still wanting to the support the team. That type of thing doesn’t typically arise in other forms of celebrity so it’s a lot easier to just dismiss a Hollywood type involved in something like that. 

But I also agree that it’s unfair for a guy’s career to be ruined or even hindered based simply on an accusation. But I also think it’s unfair to victims to place no value on an accusation either. 

21 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I suppose I mostly agree with this, although I don’t think I agree that it is as black and white as you are making it out to be. But I understand that it is your opinion so if you want to treat it as black and white, that’s your choice. 

To me, I’m comfortable deciding that I don’t want to watch or root for a guy if it feels likely that he did something like sexual assault or domestic assault. But it’s not something where I think I can define a bright line. 

I agree that what people do in their personal life is their business and separate from my interest in watching and rooting for them. I don’t care care if a guy cheats on his wife or is deadbeat dad. Or if he abuses drugs or alcohol. Or if he beat up some dude outside a bar. I mean, I care and I wish that he wouldn’t have done the criminal things, but I can easily ignore that and just be entertained. Heck, I’m ok rooting for a guy on the field/court if he groped a woman waiting in line. 

But it starts to get pretty fuzzy when it ventures into the sexual or domestic assault realm. And I know accusations aren’t proof, and settlements aren’t admissions of guilt. But in many cases there is enough smoke to feel confident there is fire, at least confident enough that I have no problem personally thinking the guy did the thing and that I don’t like watching him. 

I just don’t particularly want to watch an awful human, regardless of how entertaining they might be. But again, it’s a spectrum and I’m probably pretty inconsistent about it anyway. 

I don’t need to see Kevin spacey in any new films. I’m good. I don’t need to see Matt Lauer anymore. I’m happy to never have had to root for ray rice.

on the other hand, I hope Louis CK puts out another comedy special soon. 

I don’t even remember the details of the Bradley allegation anymore. The point of my earlier post was mostly to just discuss the internal tension that arises when a good player on the team you root for ends up being accused of something like this, and not wanting to support that player while still wanting to the support the team. That type of thing doesn’t typically arise in other forms of celebrity so it’s a lot easier to just dismiss a Hollywood type involved in something like that. 

But I also agree that it’s unfair for a guy’s career to be ruined or even hindered based simply on an accusation. But I also think it’s unfair to victims to place no value on an accusation either. 

the value comes when they get their settlement check.

if you get accused of sexual assault, should you lose your job and never be able to work in your chosen field anymore?  i would hope not.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

the value comes when they get their settlement check.

if you get accused of sexual assault, should you lose your job and never be able to work in your chosen field anymore?  i would hope not.

I’m not taking about monetary value. 

I would also hope that a mere accusation is not enough for someone to lose their job. I don’t believe I have implied otherwise. 

These public figures benefit from being in the public eye, so I don’t think it’s unfair for them to take a PR hit if they did something that the public at large finds abhorrent. And because a minuscule number of these accusations are actually adjudicated, I think it’s also fair for the public to form an opinion about a celebrity based on the available details of an accusation. The accused is welcome to respond to a false accusation. I have no problem with people forming their own opinions in view of the available information. 

That seems to me to be the reality of the situation regardless of what is fair. It sucks that someone could take a PR hit based on an accusation and nothing more. But the alternative also sucks, where the public should be expected to ignore anything that isn’t proven in court. 

I just thought we would re-visit this thread, seeing as how a seemingly-useful Willie Reed was sent out of town on the heels of receiving a six-game suspension for domestic violence.  At least publicly, the Pistons have distanced themselves now from two players with histories of abusing females.  

Reed was acquired even though he had been arrested in August.  Does anyone think SVG keeps him if the NBA doesn't suspend him?

I honestly have no idea.