Sydney_Fife

Jackson out 6-8 weeks

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Maybe it's just me... but I really don't like that core. Monk, but he's 19. Kemba, but not enough around him to get to that .500 mark you speak of. Just my opinion of course. I think Kaminsky, Batum, MKG, and Lamb are mediocrities and would be better off the bench than as starters; a couple of them are coming off the bench. Don't think much of Howard, even if he has some #'s, and Marvin should be pushed into a bench role (6th man) as well, but there's no one there to do that...

Charlotte can push as hard as it can to maybe get to .500, but if all they're hoping for is mediocrity, at best, then the team needs a reset, IMO (I hate mediocrity). Keep Lamb and Monk and Batum (stuck with him and his contract), and move MKG if you can get anything good back. I think they are better off moving Marvin Williams and Kemba and MKG and dumping Howard. I think they should do it.

But if you differ, I understand.

I just absolutely HATE mediocrity. And I think Charlotte is less than mediocre, and has dismal upside. The low upside would be my push for a reset.

MGK, Batum, Monk and Lamb are diverse collection of wings that offer defense/rebounding, stat-stuffing lines, instant offense of the future and solid wing scoring.  Can one of those guys be upgraded?  Sure, but it is better depth than many teams have and it has upside.

Howard just produces right now and I don't see that changing save him catching the injury bug again--which could obviously happen.  In today's NBA you want your center to rebound and defend--Howard is still one of the best bets for a double-double in the L.  Dre would not be an upgrade for them, and in fact, only a few guys would be upgrades from Howard.

Marvin Williams is a placeholding  forward who still has a place in an NBA rotation.  In CHA he is wasted and he should be dealt to any number of teams who could use a rotation combo forward that can stretch defenses.  Kaminsky has a lot to prove to stay in an NBA rotation, and he better prove it fast.  34% from 3pt isn't going to cut it if he wants to keep playing on this continent. 

Kemba is ideally a #2 scorer but the roster only has Monk who could rival him--and it won't happen this season, and prolly not even next.  He is also the face of that franchise and the reason why people go to Hornets games.  Deal him and it better be can't-miss package for CHA.  And hey, that could happen.

I would say you're probably taking the upside of the team and I'm looking at the downside...

At least this year, with these players... it ain't working.

6 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Mirotic and Jerian Grant another pair to consider if the Bulls want to do a reset. I think they were thinking of it in the off season but not certain if they still are...

the bulls are 9-2 in their last 11 and are one of the hottest teams in the league.  theyve been on fire since they got nico back.

and they are in the beginning of their "reset".  the pistons could take a lesson on how to properly "reset" from the bulls.

things are so bad for this franchise that del just advocated we sign trey burke.

and i would agree.  good lord.

19 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Actually... I wish I had the formula to get them back into ECF's and Championship Series...

Let's look at the steps Detroit took two decades ago to get to the ECF.

--Signing Bison Dele was a gamble that paid off long enough to show Detroit that it was OK to gamble on a guy who had yet to hit his stride in the NBA, but showed potential.  He is still one of the best UFAs the team has come up with, which is a partial indictment of how badly they have failed in that department.  None the less, Dele outperformed his $4M salary his first year here and he bacame even more important when . . .

--Detroit traded Theo Ratliff (and others) for Jerry Stackhouse (and others), giving Grant Hill a legit sidekick and hope past an aging Joe Dumars and the long-departed Allan Houston.  Stackhouse developed considerably by the time . . .

--Grant Hill was sent to the Magic in a sign-and-trade for Chucky Adkins and Ben Wallace.  Once thought to be the cornerstone for which Detroit sports (save hockey, of course) would be rebuild.  Everyone hated the return, the situation and the Pistons were really bad again.  

--The Pistons took advantage of a salary dump by Portland, grabbing an old-but-useful Uncle Cliff for the corpse of Jud Buechler and urban fashion model John Wallace.

john-wallace-karl-kani.jpg?resize=210%2C300

--Fan favorite JYD was traded for Corliss Williamson because the team needed scoring more than it did rebounding with Ben in town.

--Somehow, Dumars turned Mateen Cleaves into Jon Barry and the pick used to draft Carlos Delfino.  This was 2001-2002, and the Pistons won 50 games and the Central for the first time in a long time that year with a pretty unglamorous squad with one great scorer in Stackhouse.  Also, they payroll was pretty fluid on this team and comprised of useful journeymen on short contracts.  Rick Carlisle shows his chops as an NBA coach.

--Time to cash in on Stackhouse, as he is traded with spare parts for Hamilton and spare parts.  After showing himself to be a playoff superhero and, essentially, the player he was supposed to be when he was drafted 3rd overall, the Pistons sign Chauncey Billups to a back-weighted 6/$36M contract.  This is easily the best UFA signing in Pistons history.  50 wins, another Central crown, but Carlisle's underused two talented/useful rookies and it took nearly being swept by Orlando for him to turn to Prince in desperation.  Carlisle was replaced by Brown, a coach with a reputation for being hard on rookies who was going to have the #2 pick in the draft on his team.

--Backcourt role players Bobby Sura, Atkins and Lindsay Hunter and two 2004 1st round picks were packaged in multi-team deal bringing Sheed and Mike James to Detroit.  A well-received, but perhaps short-sighted trade, it none-the-less insured the '04 title.

The drafts through these years were average (think Ratliff)-to-bad save Memo and Prince in '03.  What the Pistons did do over these years via trades and FA signings can either be viewed as anything from absolutely repeatable to lightning in a bottle.  Many fans and pundits are so caught up in how "well" The Process is working in Philly that tanking is seemingly advocated unless your team is insured 50 wins.  Philly is 15-19 right now several years into The Process.

SVG was supposed to be Carlisle--or even Collins--all over again but right now he is a few player moves from that level.  If he fails to improve the roster at the trade deadline--whether it be for this year or the next--SVG's future must be looked at as short in Detroit.  Bradley, Drummond, Leuer, Harris and Ish have trade value with Ellenson and Johnson having less as throw-ins.  There are young players with real talent starving for burn the league over.  Guys like D. Murray, Labissiere, Levert, Rabb, Deyonta Davis, and R. Holmes are all pre-ceiling, underpaid players Detroit should give a look to.  Mix in a couple of these guys with a solid draft pick in consecutive years and Detroit could really have something to combine with the three or four guys they decide to keep (projected, of course).

The worst thing SVG can do is stand pat and hope Bradley signs for $20M in the off-season, along with hoping Reggie can remain healthy, Stanley turns into a real NBA starter and hoping Harris can turn into an AS.  Unfortunately, I can see every one of those things happening and it makes me ill for the future of the franchise.

EDIT:  just read Bradley paid $400K to silence a sexual assault charge, so say goodbye to some trade value and perhaps any long-term stay in Detroit.

On 12/28/2017 at 3:03 PM, Deleterious said:

I couldn't watch that hair for 82 games!

Am I the only that thinks of Dr. Seuss characters when I see that mop?

9 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

The worst thing SVG can do is stand pat and hope Bradley signs for $20M in the off-season, along with hoping Reggie can remain healthy, Stanley turns into a real NBA starter and hoping Harris can turn into an AS.  Unfortunately, I can see every one of those things happening and it makes me ill for the future of the franchise.

this is exactly what he's going to do.