Jump to content

Sydney_Fife

Jackson out 6-8 weeks

Recommended Posts

I think Reggie is probably done for the year. But I wouldn't make a move to replace him. At least not a move that costs us anything.

No joke, I would go sign Trey Burke and see what he can do the rest of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I think Reggie is probably done for the year. But I wouldn't make a move to replace him. At least not a move that costs us anything.

No joke, I would go sign Trey Burke and see what he can do the rest of the year.

I think they’ll see that the Buckys can can do then probably make a move like this. 

I think this was a large part of the reason they targeted Galloway. He can step in at PG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trey Burke does make a ton of sense now.  

I think most on this board had moved on from Reggie as the point guard of the future already.  What hurts is it probably locks him into a large role on the 2018/19 roster.  Unless we make a big move involving Drummond or Harris, the core of this team is not changing and that is not necessarily a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, the other thing that will become more clear from how they handle replacing Reggie is just how much that low seed playoff berth means to Gores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Anyone making a Kemba trade proposal that doesn't include one of Drummond or Harris can probably just forget it.

That is a completely untrue statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if we're going to talk about sane, let's do a sanity check on the state of the Hornets:

1) Before the sanity check though: a simple NBA rule of thumb: Don't trade a big man for a PG. In which universe would SVG ever consider trading Drummond or Harris for Kemba Walker? That universe doesn't exist, unless there's a Universe of Insanity somewhere. Not going to happen. At all. Never. And Charlotte's not that insane to think they're going to get Harris or Drummond. They know that's an impossibility. 

2) Hornets Sanity Check: They're 12-22. Where are they going? What future upside do they have? How and who with do they get to the playoffs? With Dwight Howard? Kaminsky? Zeller? Carter-Wiliams? Kidd-Gilchrist? Marvin Williams?

This team is an absolute disaster with NO upside players on their team, except Kemba. Marvin is 31 and on the downside. Howard is toast. All the other players I listed are never-were's and never-will-be's. Is Jeremy Lamb their savior? Nic Batum? This team is absolute crap.

The Hornets have one option and one option only, at least in my eyes: Blow it Up and Enter into The Process.

That means if they're trading Walker, - and they should, they should dump him right now and get the biggest package they can, and then dump everyone else for whatever they can get - then they're looking to get multiple 1sts and other draft picks and multiple young players with upside. Let's say they ask for the moon: two 1sts, two 2nds, and two young players that were 1st rounders and still have upside.

 

If the Hornets are sane, that's where they start their asking price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Well, if we're going to talk about sane, let's do a sanity check on the state of the Hornets:

1) Before the sanity check though: a simple NBA rule of thumb: Don't trade a big man for a PG. In which universe would SVG ever consider trading Drummond or Harris for Kemba Walker? That universe doesn't exist, unless there's a Universe of Insanity somewhere. Not going to happen. At all. Never. And Charlotte's not that insane to think they're going to get Harris or Drummond. They know that's an impossibility. 

2) Hornets Sanity Check: They're 12-22. Where are they going? What future upside do they have? How and who with do they get to the playoffs? With Dwight Howard? Kaminsky? Zeller? Carter-Wiliams? Kidd-Gilchrist? Marvin Williams?

This team is an absolute disaster with NO upside players on their team, except Kemba. Marvin is 31 and on the downside. Howard is toast. All the other players I listed are never-were's and never-will-be's. Is Jeremy Lamb their savior? Nic Batum? This team is absolute crap.

The Hornets have one option and one option only, at least in my eyes: Blow it Up and Enter into The Process.

That means if they're trading Walker, - and they should, they should dump him right now and get the biggest package they can, and then dump everyone else for whatever they can get - then they're looking to get multiple 1sts and other draft picks and multiple young players with upside. Let's say they ask for the moon: two 1sts, two 2nds, and two young players that were 1st rounders and still have upside.

 

If the Hornets are sane, that's where they start their asking price.

Your first point was true 10 years ago. But anyone who has watched an NBA game in the past 5 years understands it isn't anymore. 

Your second point. Should they trade Kemba? Maybe. Should they get good young players and high picks for him? Yes. Do the Pistons have any of those commodities? No. And they aren't trading Walker for Boban, Leuer, and our first. Stop, just stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Now I see people wanting to bring Jennings back.

What's wrong with people? ?

Jennings was cut by his Chinese team wasn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Now I see people wanting to bring Jennings back.

What's wrong with people? ?

Ha!  I just searched for him on basketball reference a couple of weeks ago to see where he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.8dc2a905f1f6d25a08eedf270c1f43a7.png

Look at that list.  Odie, Foots, Pooh, Bonzi.  These names sound a lot like early to mid 1900s baseball names.  Right up there with Baby Face, Three Finger, and Satchel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

His wiki page says he was waived by Shanxi on the 9th - for what that is worth. I mean -who would be editing his Wiki page?

I followed that citation on Wikipedia and it's all in Mandarin so I can't read it. But there is a tweet in English saying Jennings was injured and going to be examined by a doctor. The team was temporarily replacing him with another player. 

It's possible he was cut but I can't find anything about it other than Wikipedia. But it's always hard to find good info from overseas leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why wouldn't you trade Harris for Kemba? Sounds like a good trade for Detroit.

I ust thought up a trade that would leave us with Tolliver and Bullock as our only remaining forwards and it made me realize we can't trade Harris as most likely SJ will be part of any trade we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Well, if we're going to talk about sane, let's do a sanity check on the state of the Hornets:

1) Before the sanity check though: a simple NBA rule of thumb: Don't trade a big man for a PG. In which universe would SVG ever consider trading Drummond or Harris for Kemba Walker? That universe doesn't exist, unless there's a Universe of Insanity somewhere. Not going to happen. At all. Never. And Charlotte's not that insane to think they're going to get Harris or Drummond. They know that's an impossibility. 

2) Hornets Sanity Check: They're 12-22. Where are they going? What future upside do they have? How and who with do they get to the playoffs? With Dwight Howard? Kaminsky? Zeller? Carter-Wiliams? Kidd-Gilchrist? Marvin Williams?

This team is an absolute disaster with NO upside players on their team, except Kemba. Marvin is 31 and on the downside. Howard is toast. All the other players I listed are never-were's and never-will-be's. Is Jeremy Lamb their savior? Nic Batum? This team is absolute crap.

The Hornets have one option and one option only, at least in my eyes: Blow it Up and Enter into The Process.

That means if they're trading Walker, - and they should, they should dump him right now and get the biggest package they can, and then dump everyone else for whatever they can get - then they're looking to get multiple 1sts and other draft picks and multiple young players with upside. Let's say they ask for the moon: two 1sts, two 2nds, and two young players that were 1st rounders and still have upside.

 

If the Hornets are sane, that's where they start their asking price.

Yes, the Hornets are 12-22 but the situation is far from hopeless after this season.  Monk, Lamb, MKG and Kaminsky all have their primes ahead of them and Kemba will be in his for the next few seasons.  Batum's first two years in CHA were fine--15/6/6 35% 3pt is production most teams would happily put into their starting lineup.  He just turned 29 and conceivably has a couple more prime years in front of him, although he has been nicked up with injuries this season.  That contract makes him almost immovable, and I'm sure CHA would prefer to move him than be saddled with it for three more seasons as it escalates.  Howard is past his prime but should still be productive for a few years as his numbers per 36 are very much in-line (some exceeding, some falling short) with his career numbers.  18.9/15/1.6 Per 36 this year and that's compares well to Dre's 15.8/16.6/1.4 line.

In short, Charlotte could be a .500 team next year with no notable additions and incremental improvement from its current stable of young players.  Start adding strong talent and their prospects improve.

The win-now mentality of today is crazytown.  Why blow it all up during a year there are like five or six other teams doing the same thing?  Might as well wait to see what happens with the young roster now and take advantage of the power vacuum next season when the Cavs become an expansion team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Any interest in a Payton/Biyombo package from Orlando? Biyombo is a bad contract and Payton is about to be RFA

I couldn't watch that hair for 82 games!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Any interest in a Payton/Biyombo package from Orlando? Biyombo is a bad contract and Payton is about to be RFA

Orlando really likes Payton, so tough to say if he would be a a part of any reasonable package we would offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mirotic and Jerian Grant another pair to consider if the Bulls want to do a reset. I think they were thinking of it in the off season but not certain if they still are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Monk, Lamb, MKG and Kaminsky all have their primes ahead of them and Kemba ...for the next few seasons.  Batum's first two years in CHA were fine... Howard is past his prime but... 

...In short, Charlotte could be a .500 team next year with no notable additions and incremental improvement from its current stable of young players.  Start adding strong talent and their prospects improve...

Maybe it's just me... but I really don't like that core. Monk, but he's 19. Kemba, but not enough around him to get to that .500 mark you speak of. Just my opinion of course. I think Kaminsky, Batum, MKG, and Lamb are mediocrities and would be better off the bench than as starters; a couple of them are coming off the bench. Don't think much of Howard, even if he has some #'s, and Marvin should be pushed into a bench role (6th man) as well, but there's no one there to do that...

Charlotte can push as hard as it can to maybe get to .500, but if all they're hoping for is mediocrity, at best, then the team needs a reset, IMO (I hate mediocrity). Keep Lamb and Monk and Batum (stuck with him and his contract), and move MKG if you can get anything good back. I think they are better off moving Marvin Williams and Kemba and MKG and dumping Howard. I think they should do it.

But if you differ, I understand.

I just absolutely HATE mediocrity. And I think Charlotte is less than mediocre, and has dismal upside. The low upside would be my push for a reset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×