Sign in to follow this  
MAROTH4MVP

Packers @ Lions 1pm

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - Beginning what could be his last week as head coach of the Detroit Lions, Jim Caldwell was his usual deflective self.

He shrugged off questions about his future, but at the same time, admitted that his team too often wasn't good enough to get the job done.

The Lions (8-7) lost 26-17 Sunday at the Cincinnati Bengals, eliminating them from playoff contention, and raising questions about Caldwell's future with the team.

As he began preparations for Sunday's season finale against the Green Bay Packers, Caldwell insisted Monday that he'd had no talks about his future with GM Bob Quinn since the loss to the Bengals.

"In regards to that, nothing has changed," Caldwell said, adding, "I wouldn't tell you if I did, but we don't discuss what we disclose."

He at least seemed to recognize the reasoning for the questions.

"It is what it is," Caldwell said. "But everybody gets evaluated every year - players, coaches, schemes, everything. That's part of the process."

Caldwell agreed to a multiyear contract extension in the fall that was guaranteed through 2018, so if the Lions opt to fire him, they would only be required to pay him for next season.

Hired in 2014, Caldwell's first Lions team went 11-5, earning a wild-card berth but losing in the playoffs to the New Orleans Saints. His teams have been mediocre at best ever since.

In 2015, they were 7-9, and last season, went 9-7 to earn another wild-card berth, but lost the last three games of the season to squander the NFC North title and then were beaten by the Seattle Seahawks in a wild-card playoff game.

A loss to the Packers on Sunday and the Lions would be at .500 (24-24) the past three seasons under Caldwell.

Caldwell wasn't about to dispute the reality of the team's record while he's been head coach.

"If you want to get an indication of where you are, the great thing about the National Football League is all you have to do is look at your record," Caldwell said. "We're just a little bit above average, and a little bit above average is not good enough. There are no bowl games in this league.

"We've got to get better in every area. There's not anything that we just absolutely excelled at across the board."

Caldwell's players are standing behind their coach, willing to shoulder the blame for their failures.

"I think he did a great job," Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "We have to go out there, make plays, score points and win games."

"It's our job to get it fixed and we aren't fixing it," added safety Glover Quin. "We have to look at ourselves first."

At the same time, they know that a coach is measured by wins and losses, and lately, the Lions haven't been measuring up in the standings.

"We understand that's the nature of this business," Stafford said. "We also understand what he does behind closed doors.

"I have a lot of respect for him."

As much as he won't be able to avoid it, Caldwell would prefer the focus this week not be on his future.

"I'm not concerned about how I feel," Caldwell said. "It doesn't matter. The fact is we've got a game left to play. It's an opportunity for our guys to get better.

"We have 16 opportunities and you can't take them for granted."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/lions-caldwell-focused-on-packers-not-his-future-with-team

Caldwell has stated that Stafford will play this game. Lion's could use the higher pick, but they have to play to win the game and probably will because that is what the Lions do.

Fun fact, “The Lions’ defense has given up first downs on an NFL-worst 26.2 percent of rushing attempts this season.”

NBC Sports - ProFootballTalk: Wednesday morning one-linershttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/27/wednesday-morning-one-liners-421/

Fun fact, “The Lions’ defense has given up first downs on an NFL-worst 26.2 percent of rushing attempts this season.”

NBC Sports - ProFootballTalk: Wednesday morning one-linershttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/27/wednesday-morning-one-liners-421/

Oof... Aaron Donald sure would have helped that. Or a defensive tackle called Suh.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

I just need to know our rooting interests to maximize our draft slot. 

We need every team that has the same record as us, or is 1 game worse... to win. That's the short summary.

(oops... or 9-6 record teams to win just in case...)

The list of needed winners:

Green Bay (7-8) over Detroit (8-7).

Redskins (7-8) over Giants.

Cowboys (8-7) over Eagles.

Titans (8-7) over Jaguars.

Falcons (9-6) over Panthers.

Chiefs (9-6) over Broncos.

Bills (8-7) over Dolphins.

Chargers (8-7) over Raiders.

Cardinals (7-8) over Seahawks (9-6)... (or the other way around?)

Ravens (9-6) over Bengals.

I'll watch because...that is what I do. Sweeping Green Bay would be a wonderful thing. Even with no Rodgers. Let the draft chips fall where they may. Just win, baby!

I tend to believe Caldwell is probably going to come back regardless of how much I don't want him to. If we win this game that will add even more fuel for the fire that Martha will bring him back. I'd rather have better draft position than win a meaningless game.

And the game begins with the Lions totally unprepared for a surprise and Miles Killibrew standing aimlessly while the Packers jump for the ball right on top of him

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Another game where they are unprepared to start.

Because every team has their hands team out on the opening kickoff. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I don't expect them to have their hands team out, but I'd expect to see the players react at all as if this is a thing they ever imagined could happen. No one on the Lions made any attempt to get the ball, they just stood there

Just now, pyrotigers said:

I don't expect them to have their hands team out, but I'd expect to see the players react at all as if this is a thing they ever imagined could happen. No one on the Lions made any attempt to get the ball, they just stood there

I thought they were stacking at the 10 yard line. I didn't think the ball traveled 10 yards. It's my understanding if the Lions touch it prior to 10 yards than the kicking team can recover. 

Are players not coached to watch the ball as it’s being kicked?

PS: Look at Jarrod Davis lower his shoulder on that return. Maybe we have a goal line back. ;-)

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

Are players not coached to watch the ball as it’s being kicked?

PS: Look at Jarrod Davis lower his shoulder on that return. Maybe we have a goal line back. ;-)

I'm certain Caldwell told them to look away. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm certain Caldwell told them to look away. 

Who said Caldwell? It's his staff right, he's the boss? Are you arguing coaches are irrelevant to player preparation? lol

How about the Lions defense being torn apart by Nick Hundley without his top two WRs? Get Teryl Austin that well deserved head coaching job ASAP.