djhutch

BECAUSE Not Caldwell, So Then Who?

I like everything about Patricia so far.  Mainly having a GM and a coach on the same page is #1 IMO.  He is smart, dedicated, detail oriented, and it seems that all players love him and most of all respect him.  I also really like how he is a believer in "position -less football" and fitting players into a scheme with what talents they do have.  Seeing what he did with a guy like Van Noy should have everyone excited about his Player Development and ability to see talent in players.  

I havent been this excited for an offseason in years.  They have cap space.  Good core of talent to build around, and finally some continuity from top to bottom.  Let's goooooo Lions.  OnePride. 

I'll chalk up Patricia's use of the tired cliche "We will have a blue-collar mentality" to youthful optimism.

9 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I'll chalk up Patricia's use of the tired cliche "We will have a blue-collar mentality" to youthful optimism.

I imagine it is almost required for any new person coming to Detroit to play to the perceived fanbase demographic.

11 hours ago, RJBBREZ said:

I like everything about Patricia so far.  Mainly having a GM and a coach on the same page is #1 IMO.  He is smart, dedicated, detail oriented, and it seems that all players love him and most of all respect him.  I also really like how he is a believer in "position -less football" and fitting players into a scheme with what talents they do have.  Seeing what he did with a guy like Van Noy should have everyone excited about his Player Development and ability to see talent in players.  

I havent been this excited for an offseason in years.  They have cap space.  Good core of talent to build around, and finally some continuity from top to bottom.  Let's goooooo Lions.  OnePride. 

I did like hearing from him about his relationship with Quinn and how they talked in the past about how they would build a team and all that. Both of these guys have been involved for a long period of time with one of the most successful organizations in sports history. That has to help. 

I don’t think this is similar to just hiring the coordinator from the belichick tree like Weiss and crennel and mcdaniels. 

I do wonder why Quinn didn’t hire him earlier, though. 

It was not the safe decision to hire Patricia earlier.

Patricia hadn’t fully proven himself as a DC, and perhaps even Quinn didn’t believe Patricia was ready to be a HC when Quinn arrived.

And Caldwell hadn’t fully proven that he was incapable of taking the Lions to the next level.

If the Patriot Way is not to beat yourself, Quinn has executed that philosophy so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

It was not the safe decision to hire Patricia earlier.

Patricia hadn’t fully proven himself as a DC, and perhaps even Quinn didn’t believe Patricia was ready to be a HC when Quinn arrived.

And Caldwell hadn’t fully proven that he was incapable of taking the Lions to the next level.

If the Patriot Way is not to beat yourself, Quinn has executed that philosophy so far.

That’s a good enough guess I suppose. 

I don’t know what is considered enough to prove yourself. He was DC in New England from 2012-2017. 

I understand keeping Caldwell on for that first year, and I suppose it is understandable that he wouldn’t fire Caldwell after making the playoffs. Then again, they made the playoffs by going 9-7 and needing to win a lot of close games to do so, and they got destroyed in the playoff game.

20 hours ago, Shelton said:

Patricia seemed to lack charisma. He also didn’t appear comfortable speaking at that podium. I doubt there is anything to his initial comment about JBC. I just think he’s a bit clumsy with public speaking. No big deal. 

It was just the shaved/trimmed beard.  Loosing that much masculinity just had him off his game.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

That’s a good enough guess I suppose. 

I don’t know what is considered enough to prove yourself. He was DC in New England from 2012-2017. 

I understand keeping Caldwell on for that first year, and I suppose it is understandable that he wouldn’t fire Caldwell after making the playoffs. Then again, they made the playoffs by going 9-7 and needing to win a lot of close games to do so, and they got destroyed in the playoff game.

There's always the possibility of a back door deal too where Quinn asked the Pats about his availability and was told they would block the Lions from interviewing Patricia initially.... or some sort of agreement when Quinn left that he wouldn't poach from the Pats staff for a season or two.

23 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

There's always the possibility of a back door deal too where Quinn asked the Pats about his availability and was told they would block the Lions from interviewing Patricia initially.... or some sort of agreement when Quinn left that he wouldn't poach from the Pats staff for a season or two.

Teams can't block assistants or coordinators from interviewing for head coaching jobs. Only lateral moves. I read that Patricia was offered the Cleveland job before Jackson took it and he turned it down. That was the same time Quinn took over. Quinn may just not have been comfortable then moving on from Caldwell only a year removed from an 11 win season. Plus the Lions played well the second half and Stafford had upped his game. 

Quinn on firing QB Coach Bill Callahan:

"Things being continuous on the coaching staff is good, but maybe too much of it would be hard,"

"Everyone knows Matt has the physical skill-set. Everyone knows he's one of the toughest guys on the team. I know he's one of the smartest guys on the team. So I think Matt, we go to do a better job putting better players around him, and he has to do a better job of not trying to do too much. Because sometimes he tries to win the Super Bowl on every play.

"That's a great quality to have as a quarterback. That's what you want. But you got to temper it just a little bit, you know what I mean? Because you love it when it works -- like it worked a lot in 2016. But this year, he had some fumbles. I don't think he has a fumbling problem, I think he just needs to know, 'OK, let's move on to the next play.'"

http:// http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/02/lions_gm_bob_quinn_wanted_to_c.html#incart_2box_lions

Seems like a very sensible move by the Lions and a very clear message to Quinn: You got your guy, you have three years together to show progress, and if you don’t the clock starts ticking in year 4.

40 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Seems like a very sensible move by the Lions and a very clear message to Quinn: You got your guy, you have three years together to show progress, and if you don’t the clock starts ticking in year 4.

They both have 5 more years under contract

2 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Right.  And most coaches don't reach the final year of their contracts as they are either extended or fired the year before.  So in this instance the 4th season is probably their last if they don't show progress.

I understand. If they don’t demonstrate success (and get extensions) by the end of year three, year four is their make-or-break year. They won’t be kept around to the end of year five, even to the beginning of year five, if they haven’t already succeeded. (I think this means winning a division title or playoff game.)

6 hours ago, sagnam said:

Right.  And most coaches don't reach the final year of their contracts as they are either extended or fired the year before.  So in this instance the 4th season is probably their last if they don't show progress.

It seems like you're not even giving them a game.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

It seems like you're not even giving them a game.

What?  I was just explaining Jason's post.

Martha has put all her eggs into the Quinn/Patricia basket. Let's be honest, there's a high probability Martha will not be around to see the end of this contract. I have to say, I have been impressed with Martha's ownership. She made a touch decision to fire Mayhew only one year removed from an 11-5 season. She consulted actual NFL executive experts, interviewed multiple candidates from successful organizations, and hired an up and coming GM who she's not interfering with. Whether this works out or not, I give her credit. Give that at the end of 4 seasons she'll be 97, I'm not sure she will be the one making the decision on Quinn and Patricia so who knows what direction the new owner will go in. 

11 hours ago, sagnam said:

What?  I was just explaining Jason's post.

Yeah, and I was just explaining what I think to be Mrs. Ford's rationale for the extension. 

Agree with MB that Mrs. Ford and Rod Wood have turned this into a professional organization, with real, clear standards of accountability. Good for them, and frankly, good for Quinn and Patricia. They both know they are joined at the hip now, and they will succeed together or fail together. Mrs. Ford has done everything she can to ensure there are no factions in the football operation, no coach going behind the GM's back to complain about player selection, no GM complaining about how the coaches don't use my guys. Now just win baby.

Edit: Good stuff in Birkett's article: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/02/10/inside-detroit-lions-matt-patricia/325622002/

But when Quinn and Wood got done peppering Patricia with questions, the interview took a slightly different turn when Quinn left the conference room to give Wood some one-on-one time with Patricia.

“I felt that was necessary cause I’ve known Matt for so long,” Quinn said. “And as Rod, being the representative of ownership during these interviews, I thought that was really important to, ‘OK, Rod, we’re going to start it, we’re going to go through most of our questions, then I’m going to go take a walk.’"

Wood said Patricia would have been a top candidate for the job even if he and Quinn had no prior history together in New England. But the fact that they do, Wood said, “should be a beneficial thing for the team.”

“Obviously they’re together and they’re both going to be responsible for our success,” he said. “But I’m pretty confidant we’ve got the right partnership, so if they’re tied to the hip I’m OK with that.”

patricia getting the ol syracuse band back together doesnt exactly fill me with confidence.