Mr.TaterSalad

Rumor: XFL to Return. Would You Root for a Detroit Team?

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I want to write Red Ramage thread.

Not enough hypotheticals and analogies. 

I understand why you wouldn't watch the product if it is just the same crappy league it was back in 2000 with no-name players on the field. However, if the XFL could field a product comparable to the USFL in the 80's and steal some household talent away from the NFL and collegiate ranks and we had a Detroit team that managed to be consistently good, why wouldn't you watch then?

If there were an XFL team in Detroit, that fielded a compelling product with good talent on the field, I'd watch. It beats going SOL every week when watching the Lions.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I understand why you wouldn't watch the product if it is just the same crappy league it was back in 2000 with no-name players on the field. However, if the XFL could field a product comparable to the USFL in the 80's and steal some household talent away from the NFL and collegiate ranks and we had a Detroit team that managed to be consistently good, why wouldn't you watch then?

If there were an XFL team in Detroit, that fielded a compelling product with good talent on the field, I'd watch. It beats going SOL every week when watching the Lions.

What would make you think that a new XFL would have any chance of being different than the first version? They arent going to have any of the best players. At best it would be a feeder league. There is already the CFL for players that aren’t good enough to make the NFL. 

On 12/22/2017 at 11:28 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I understand why you wouldn't watch the product if it is just the same crappy league it was back in 2000 with no-name players on the field. 

He Hate Me is not some Johnny-come-lately no-name player. Thank you very much. 

Good day sir. 

There's already an oversaturation of football as far as I'm concerned, so I would take a pass.

I thought the XFL had a chance back in the day, but I was watching a little WWF with a buddy who was a fan and he pumped me up on the idea.

I think there is something to this.  It 'feels' like the NFL is down sliding a little bit.  Ratings are down slightly, but to me there feels like there is this switch in the mentality of the fans and the sport as a whole.

The big thing is concussions.  If Vince can do this in such a way as to lower the probability of concussions, but still maintaining the integrity/essence of the game and get rid of all the crap no one cared about in the XFL he may be on to something.

If he can fade big losses trying to compete right now with the NFL for 5-10 years and he does the league right it could very well be the next generation of football.

I honestly think the NFL is going to be in some big trouble in 20 years or so....multiple reasons for it.  Lawsuits about concussions, league tampering because of the mob/betting, people just becoming disinterested because the product declines because more and more people are keeping their kids out of football because of the dangers....etc etc.

The key for him is realizing he is going to take some HUGE hits in the pocket book the first 10 years or so, but again if he does it in such a way that protects the person more and he slowly starts getting more and more of the better college kids deciding to join his league as opposed to the NFL then he may be on to something.

This is a LONG term deal though...if he honestly thinks he is going to come in and steal ratings/players/coaches/cities away from the NFL then he will fail like he did with the XFL.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The XFL is slated to return, here's to hoping we get a team. 

I have no interest in Detroit getting a team, and I also think it’s incredibly unlikely that Detroit would get a team. 

If I had to guess, the teams will primarily be cities without an NFL team. I’m thinking Portland and San Antonio and San Diego and St. Louis. Sacramento, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Louisville. Then a few in the really big tv markets just because. 

I just think football has peaked in popularity.  Baseball, basketball, and NASCAR have all experienced a fall-off in popularity throughout its histories -- football is no different.

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I just think football has peaked in popularity.  Baseball, basketball, and NASCAR have all experienced a fall-off in popularity throughout its histories -- football is no different.

I think you’re right. But football is still the most popular sport in the country right now, so if you were going to start a new sports league, might as well pick the most popular one. 

Just now, Shelton said:

I think you’re right. But football is still the most popular sport in the country right now, so if you were going to start a new sports league, might as well pick the most popular one. 

I agree Nick.  My statement was meant as a counterargument to those who suggest the NFL is losing popularity primarily because of players who kneel during the National Anthem.

If I were Vince McMahon and the XFL I would take players after one year of college football into the league. That is probably the best way they are going to attract any kind of quality talent to the league. By doing that they either become a feeder system to the NFL or as the league grows and generates a revenue stream they are able to keep these players around and keep them from jumping ship to the NFL.

If we have a Detroit team and the product will be free of gimmicks that plagued the prior iteration of the XFL and they can manage to play good football, without all the boneheaded and overly complicated rules getting in the way, I will watch. It would be a good laugh if a Detroit XFL franchise won the league championship before the Lions win a Super Bowl. 

On 1/25/2018 at 2:14 PM, Shelton said:

I have no interest in Detroit getting a team, and I also think it’s incredibly unlikely that Detroit would get a team. 

If I had to guess, the teams will primarily be cities without an NFL team. I’m thinking Portland and San Antonio and San Diego and St. Louis. Sacramento, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Louisville. Then a few in the really big tv markets just because. 

I would definitely root for a Michigan based team, though it wouldn't be at the same level as I root for the Lions, so I suppose it depends a bit on what you mean by rooting for the team.  It wouldn't be appointment viewing for their games... I wouldn't be rushing out to buy any TShirts or anything, but I'd still likely want them to win over other teams and I'd probably be drawn into it a little more if there was a Michigan team.

That said, I agree 100% that they will likely target non-NFL cities, or at the very least if they hit any NFL cities it'll be the major, major ones like maybe Chicago or Dallas.

On 1/25/2018 at 3:56 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If I were Vince McMahon and the XFL I would take players after one year of college football into the league. That is probably the best way they are going to attract any kind of quality talent to the league. By doing that they either become a feeder system to the NFL or as the league grows and generates a revenue stream they are able to keep these players around and keep them from jumping ship to the NFL.

Agreed 100% on the "take one year players."  That would be a great why to get some real talent into the league AND generate interest from NFL fans who might want to "scout" players they'll want their team to pickup.

But at the same time I worry that it's a recipe for long term failure... I mean at best you're looking at becoming a NCAA level talent league... maybe a little better because you've got fewer teams... but I don't know how much national attention (ie, TV deal which would be needed for revenue) you'd get.  College get huge views of course, but that's because of 100+ years of history, alumni, etc.

I don't know if a football league can survive as a "minor league."