MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bengals

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Nobody knows WTF a catch is in the NFL anymore so it's a complete crap shoot. It was also on the opposite end of the field and there is no way Caldwell could see if it was a catch or not. Tate or someone in the booth needs to tell him to challenge. I personally don't think it was a catch but after the TD by Buffalo was called back, I have no idea. 

I agree about what is a catch and not catch and who really know how it would have went.  With the season on the line, i would have gambled, gone down swinging.  Throw the red flag.  Show that you have some fight in ya.

I've always liked Caldwell in his interviews and what not. He did decent here, so its kind of sad to see him go. But this was the end of the line for him.
Why didn't he challenge the Tate catch? 
Quinn has about $60 million in cap space and he'll remake the coaching staff so this is his chance to put his final stamp on the organization and sink or swim. They should be a top 10 NFL team next year with what they have returning and all the additions they could bring in because of the cap space. Plus, ideally, the coaching would be improved.

Agree. Caldwell seems to be an honorable man. He doesn’t complain or make excuses. His players and coaches always respect him, and there has never been any locker room drama or scandal.

The first bit of gossip about him was before the game last week where it leaked that his extension was only one year. That was almost certainly Quinn’s staff trying to light a fire under him.

Unfortunately it didn’t work. The flip side of his even-keel personality is that he has no fire in his belly. And he doesn’t have anyone else on his staff to provide that (even a player like Suh).

I’ll be stunned if he is back next season. He is a good man but it is clearly time for him to go.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

The bengals had 5 wins going in and thats inflated because they played Cleveland twice. 

Okay, let's look at it from the other angle now.   

Lions wins this year and the records of those teams

Arizona              7-8
NY Giants         2-13
Minnesota      12-3
Green Bay        7-8
Cleveland        0-15
Chicago          5-10
Tampa Bay     4-11
Chicago          5-10

...........and it was Minneosta before Case Keenum started clicking, Green Bay without Aaron Rodgers and a Cleveland team that was close to beating them until their QB got hurt.            We're not exactly impressive either.     Reminds me of Michigan football the last few years..........lots of win against "meh" teams,  not many against good ones.   

• Thanks 1

Caldwell has to be gone. Which sucks. Because it means having to bring in a whole new staff, install a whole new system, and having a bunch of guys who don't fit into that system. Which sucks because there is limited time of Staffords prime and the organization is squandering it. 

I was almost ok with keeping the current staff and going for broke next year. Now not so much. I'd like to see McDaniels.

Caldwell has to be gone. Which sucks. Because it means having to bring in a whole new staff, install a whole new system, and having a bunch of guys who don't fit into that system. Which sucks because there is limited time of Staffords prime and the organization is squandering it. 
I was almost ok with keeping the current staff and going for broke next year. Now not so much. I'd like to see McDaniels.

If they have to put in a system that is not historically bad at rushing, I’m ok with that.

But Stafford is smart. And I’d expect Quinn to bring someone in who will let Stafford keep chunks of the existing offense.

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

WCF would have given Mayhew an extension after an 11 win season. At the very least, he would have just handed the team over to Shelden White. Martha fired Mayhew after an 11 win season and went outside the organization and hired a qualified GM from a winning organization, already establishing she isn't WCF. People act like this is some sort of Super Bowl roster that has been underachieving. Did anyone expect better than 9 or 10 wins?

In my opinion in the NFL the baseline expectation for successful front office and coaching staff should be to make the playoffs most years and to at least win a playoff game or two when you're there.  A year or two for transition is needed for big changes.  Caldwell doesn't get that pass anymore, he was kept by Quinn to provide continuity and to win now, not to oversee a multi-year transition and more excuses about missing the Playoffs or losing in the first round.

Firing Caldwell may or may not be cosmically fair in relation to Quinn's responsibility, however Caldwell's been here 4 years and was kept ostensibly for continuity and win-now purposes, not to preside over more excuses why they can't make and advance in the playoffs.

Quinn should face the music too at some point, probably another 2 years at most, if this team isn't into contention.

There is no long term rebuilding program in the NFL...in the NFL your life cycle for turning around and contending is very short...a couple of years at most, especially when you have a QB of Stafford's caliber and you retain the veteran HC.

I will be in a much better position to judge Quinn's performance in 2 years as opposed to setting a benchmark now.

I also don't know the definition of contention.  Does that mean a top 4 team in the league?  Top 8?

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I will be in a much better position to judge Quinn's performance in 2 years as opposed to setting a benchmark now.

I also don't know the definition of contention.  Does that mean a top 4 team in the league?  Top 8?

I was using contention as a short hand for the baseline expectation for a successful team I described at the beginning of my post.

I am sure they do have benchmarks, but the larger point I am making is that these things change as the events and circumstances around the team and league change.

The decision that is made in 2 years time, supposing such a decision is made then, will have little to nothing to do with our thoughts now.

15 hours ago, holygoat said:

I can totally see Caldwell keeping the Lions job.

Chances of that happening are:

Absolute Zero.

I woke up and asked my Google Home "Who is Jim Caldwell?" and it replied "Jim Caldwell is the former head coach of the Detroit Lions." I thought holy bleep Martha fired him on Christmas Day?? How cut throat! Then I realized they draw results from Wiki and a troll edited the Wiki. LOL

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am sure they do have benchmarks, but the larger point I am making is that these things change as the events and circumstances around the team and league change.

The decision that is made in 2 years time, supposing such a decision is made then, will have little to nothing to do with our thoughts now.

Well since you mentioned it, I readily acknowledge that no decision made by any team will ever have anything to do with our thoughts at any time..... :)

I would say a fair base line for 4 years as head coach would be "have more than one good season" and "win a playoff game"

After Sunday the Lions will likely have played exactly .500 over the past three seasons. That should get just about any coach in the league fired.

8 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Chances of that happening are:

Absolute Zero.

Are they? This is the Detroit Lions we're talking about. I mean, I'm not saying I think it's a lock he stays, maybe not even 50/50, but it's a lot better than zero.

I’d be surprised if Bell wants to run behind that OL.

Can we get Ngata to come back for a season? If you’re going to pay someone big, pay DeMarcus Lawrence.

They have about $60 million in cap space and that's with nearly all their starters returning. So, they can definitely afford Bell. I'm not sure if that is the best use of money though- it depends how much he's going to command.

I suspect they are going to load up on defensive players and, in particular, remake their entire D line. But, it may be spread around a number of starters rather than splurging on one big name guy.

I assume Quinn is going to hire one of New England's coordinators. Maybe Patricia?

The Lions job should be the best one available so they should be able to get whoever they want. Not sure what other teams have a franchise QB in their prime and a borderline playoff team with cap space and almost all starters returning. 

Spending big money on Leveon Bell and all those miles would be dumb.  Good scouting can get you a good running back in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft.  Spend the money on a pass rusher and speed on defense.

Here's some positivity: At least we're not the Raiders and at least we have Stafford on a huge contract instead of Derek Carr