MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bengals

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're done. It's over.  Carolina and New Orleans already have 10 wins and the Falcons have 9 and own the tiebreaker. 

Yeah.  But a 3 way tie at 9-7 with Dallas or Seattle.  Who wins?  Or a 4 way tie with Atlanta Dallas and Seattle.  Who wins the tie breaker? 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The first half of the season, I thought for certain the Lions would cut ties with Ebron. Now I'm not so sure. I think you have to bring him back now. Probably cut ties with Abdullah and Ansah. Hopefully Ngata has something left, try to sign and/or draft a pass rusher and another guard or center. 

Main thing is to cut ties with Caldwell. 

1 minute ago, T&P_Fan said:

Yeah.  But a 3 way tie at 9-7 with Dallas or Seattle.  Who wins?  Or a 4 way tie with Atlanta Dallas and Seattle.  Who wins the tie breaker? 

Atlanta wins. Atlanta has head to head wins over Detroit, Dallas, Seattle and Green Bay so they win the tiebreaker over any 3-way tie of 9-7 teams. 

Ok, where are the Caldwell defenders?  Show yourself.  Who is going to step forward and make a case for Caldwell returning after this debacle?

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm sure this game just cost him his job. 

The loss hurts but this is exactly what needed to happen

16 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Any tie with Atlanta we lose.   10 second run off...................

I didn't see much of this game - mostly the 3rd quarter. The D line, which at that point was coming in rested,  was *non-existent* in the 1st Bengal TD drive - a too small DB has no choice but to foul because he is physically over-matched - then our 'best' receiver pretty much just drops a ball he had already caught to kill the Lions return drive. I don't care about Caldwell, and maybe there were strategic and play call blunders a plenty - but this team still needs a whole ton of better players .

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I can totally see Caldwell getting the Cincinnati job. 

No, they want Hue Jackson..........................not kidding.....................Trying to out-Lion the Lions.

On 12/19/2017 at 1:12 PM, John_Brian_K said:

I have to admit it is a little cool to actually be in the hunt.  This is still a relatively rare feeling for Lions fans.

Still hoping for the Lions to keep Caldwell?

1 hour ago, azzurri said:

Ok, where are the Caldwell defenders?  Show yourself.  Who is going to step forward and make a case for Caldwell returning after this debacle?

I'm not going to defend him. I'll just say he won't get fired.

What I found frustrating was the 6 or 7 yard run on 1st down, followed by the 2 or 3 yard run on 2nd down and then incomplete pass on 3 and 1 or 3 and 2 on 3rd down.  Off the top of my head,  3 times this game this sequence occurred and all near the mid field.  Grow some balls and go for it and have a sense of urgency.  Even bad teams can run the ball for a yard, or at least today they should have against a bad team.  Frustrating.

The bengals had 5 wins going in and thats inflated because they played Cleveland twice. 

• Like 1

What I found frustrating was the 6 or 7 yard run on 1st down, followed by the 2 or 3 yard run on 2nd down and then incomplete pass on 3 and 1 or 3 and 2 on 3rd down.  Off the top of my head,  3 times this game this sequence occurred and all near the mid field.  Grow some balls and go for it and have a sense of urgency.  Even bad teams can run the ball for a yard, or at least today they should have today against a bad team.  Frustrating.

If this team could run the ball for a yard, they’d finish this season with as many as 12 wins.

With this loss, and the end of this season, Quinn is officially on the clock. He has a big decision to make on Caldwell, and his first draft class will be at the three year mark. Maybe it’s better that they missed the playoffs so Quinn has the excuse to sweep out the last vestiges of the Mayhew era.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm not going to defend him. I'll just say he won't get fired.

That's where I am at this point.  Martha did a solid with firing Mayhew, but now the hard work starts. Fire the nice guy coach that you just gave the extension to, because this team will clearly never n be in contention with Caldwell.

Martha may do the right thing or she might fall into WCFS mode and let it ride with Caldwell.  Until she proves that she is not like her late husband, im inclined to believe that the ghost of WCFS lives thru her.

12 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

That's where I am at this point.  Martha did a solid with firing Mayhew, but now the hard work starts. Fire the nice guy coach that you just gave the extension to, because this team will clearly never n be in contention with Caldwell.

Martha may do the right thing or she might fall into WCFS mode and let it ride with Caldwell.  Until she proves that she is not like her late husband, im inclined to believe that the ghost of WCFS lives thru her.

WCF would have given Mayhew an extension after an 11 win season. At the very least, he would have just handed the team over to Shelden White. Martha fired Mayhew after an 11 win season and went outside the organization and hired a qualified GM from a winning organization, already establishing she isn't WCF. People act like this is some sort of Super Bowl roster that has been underachieving. Did anyone expect better than 9 or 10 wins?

I've always liked Caldwell in his interviews and what not. He did decent here, so its kind of sad to see him go. But this was the end of the line for him.

Why didn't he challenge the Tate catch? 

Quinn has about $60 million in cap space and he'll remake the coaching staff so this is his chance to put his final stamp on the organization and sink or swim. They should be a top 10 NFL team next year with what they have returning and all the additions they could bring in because of the cap space. Plus, ideally, the coaching would be improved.

2 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

I've always liked Caldwell in his interviews and what not. He did decent here, so its kind of sad to see him go. But this was the end of the line for him.

Why didn't he challenge the Tate catch? 

Quinn has about $60 million in cap space and he'll remake the coaching staff so this is his chance to put his final stamp on the organization and sink or swim. They should be a top 10 NFL team next year with what they have returning and all the additions they could bring in because of the cap space. Plus, ideally, the coaching would be improved.

Nobody knows WTF a catch is in the NFL anymore so it's a complete crap shoot. It was also on the opposite end of the field and there is no way Caldwell could see if it was a catch or not. Tate or someone in the booth needs to tell him to challenge. I personally don't think it was a catch but after the TD by Buffalo was called back, I have no idea. 

I like the receivers a lot, Riddick is a great catching threat out of the backfield and Ebron is terrible at blocking but is coming on as a receiving tight end and could probably end up being top 10 in the league in that regard. Stafford is a top 10 QB. It seems like the offense should be a lot more explosive or at least has the potential to be.

The Lions were 7th in the NFL in PPG coming into this game so it is a top 10 offense. They're 25th in points against. Just need to fix the run game and overhaul the defensive line. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions were 7th in the NFL in PPG coming into this game so it is a top 10 offense. They're 25th in points against. Just need to fix the run game and overhaul the defensive line. 

It was only 15th in efficiency ratings though. PPG has a lot of variables outside of just offensive play (field position, special teams play, pace of play, defensive or special teams touchdowns, etc.)  I do agree the D line has to be overhauled. I imagine that will be the main offseason focus along with trying to find a running game.

the lions have an average offense, hurt because they have the worst running game in the league, helped because they have a good qb and a good passing game.

theyre killed by their dline's lack of pressure and their overall poor linebacker play.

they threw a lot of money at the oline last year and it didnt exactly make them a lot better.  the progression of glasgow and dahl (at the end) was heartening.  hopefully goladay improves to a real deeo threat and they can find a decent running back.

but the defense is the bigger issue.  i can see them splashing big money on a pass rusher.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I can totally see Caldwell getting the Cincinnati job. 

I can totally see Caldwell keeping the Lions job.