MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Bengals

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions were close to winning that playoff game at Green Bay in 94. If Herman Moore is able to catch that pass inbounds in the back of the end zone late in the 4th quarter, the Lions probably win. If they had stability at the QB position, they probably end up with more home playoff games and probably more than one playoff win. They did make the playoffs 6 times in the 90's with multiple QB's. 

Those mid 90s teams had some huge wins.  The '94 team beating Dallas on Monday Night with those alternate unis that I loved and the Niners win on Monday Night in '95 when everybody was calling for Fontes head after they started 0-3. That '95 team was probably the best of those 90s teams talentwise, the offense was a well oiled machine then they got obliterated by the Eagles in the 1st round led by Rodney Peete of all people, I just had to laugh when they connected on the Hail Mary at the end of the 1st half.

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Those mid 90s teams had some huge wins.  The '94 team beating Dallas on Monday Night with those alternate unis that I loved and the Niners win on Monday Night in '95 when everybody was calling for Fontes head after they started 0-3. That '95 team was probably the best of those 90s teams talentwise, the offense was a well oiled machine then they got obliterated by the Eagles in the 1st round led by Rodney Peete of all people, I just had to laugh when they connected on the Hail Mary at the end of the 1st half.

Don't forget the final game of the 97 season. I had been youtubing some of the 90's playoff games. I hadn't realized how close that 94 game was. Pretty much 95, 97, and 99 really weren't close. 91 for that matter as well since the NFC championship game wasn't close. I would say those teams had more talent than the current team outside of QB. I would say probably only the secondary on the current team is better. Blades was good but I think I would take Quinn and Slay. 

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Don't forget the final game of the 97 season. I had been youtubing some of the 90's playoff games. I hadn't realized how close that 94 game was. Pretty much 95, 97, and 99 really weren't close. 91 for that matter as well since the NFC championship game wasn't close. I would say those teams had more talent than the current team outside of QB. I would say probably only the secondary on the current team is better. Blades was good but I think I would take Quinn and Slay. 

Put Stafford on those teams and they could have done some damage in the playoffs.  They had all the weapons on offense and a really good Front 7 on defense. QB was the big missing piece.

Seems like during the Barry years that the Lions could never find or draft a QB to compliment him. A mid 1st round pick most of the time would never net that franchise QB. And franchise FA QBs don't come along very often,  if at all. Mitchell wasn't horrible, but he never had the head for it. Batch was.. well,  he was Chuck Batch. 

Now the Lions have that franchise QB and no RB /run game to complement him. I think it's much easier to get that running back via FA or draft. Especially in this years draft. There are 8-10 RBs who could come in and make a difference. Or that guy from Pittsburgh would a decent pick up. 

Most of the current NFC playoff teams have a solid run game. NO, Carolina, Minnesota, Atl and LA. All have a QBs that can lead a team on a deep playoff run. Besides Minn, who's D is the backbone of that team and Keenum is playing out of his mind. 

Lots of cap space and a decent draft could be huge going into next season. Lions are definitely in a good spot to get better and contend for the division. 

They devoted decent resources to finding a QB in the form of Andre Ware and Mitchell.

The found Kramer for nothing and Peete was a 7th round pick.

Would have been better off sticking with Peete and Kramer and using that first round pick and $$$ on something else.

Did they not resign Kramer and draft Peete or Ware? I think I remember Kramer signing with Chicago... 

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They devoted decent resources to finding a QB in the form of Andre Ware and Mitchell.

The found Kramer for nothing and Peete was a 7th round pick.

Would have been better off sticking with Peete and Kramer and using that first round pick and $$$ on something else.

I blame Bigglesworth

2 hours ago, JAYB said:

Did they not resign Kramer and draft Peete or Ware? I think I remember Kramer signing with Chicago... 

Kramer was on the team with Peete and Ware at one point, so I am not understanding the question?

the greatest game I can remember was the 1994 game where Dave Krieg showed us what a veteran QB could do with all those weapons.  Of course he gets hurt almost immediately. 

screwing around with the playoff machine it looks like Atlanta has to lose the last 2 games that's the Lions only in.

If NO or Carolina loses it's last 2 games We still don't get it.

28 minutes ago, kgeorge78 said:

screwing around with the playoff machine it looks like Atlanta has to lose the last 2 games that's the Lions only in.

If NO or Carolina loses it's last 2 games We still don't get it.

Not true. 

It seems like Detroit gets in with two Atlanta losses or any multi team tie that doesn't involve Atlanta. If New Orleans and Carolina lose their next two, that means they both lost to Atlanta which would give Atlanta the division. 

36 minutes ago, kgeorge78 said:

can you explain because on every site shows the same

Detroit loses individual tiebreakers with Carolina and New Orleans so if they are tied with those teams they don't get in. However, if Dallas or Seattle gets to 10 wins and creates a 3 way tie with either of those two, Detroit gets in based on conference and/or common games.

Swanson, Lang & Wagner out. Looks like the Dline may have to play both ways today. 

2 minutes ago, JAYB said:

Swanson, Lang & Wagner out. Looks like the Dline may have to play both ways today. 

that's just ridiculous. how lionesque to have all your injuries in one unit.